Thread: FOLLOW THE LEADER?!

Credits

Anybody else interested?

Credits

FOLLOW THE LEADER?!

http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertain1.html

By Wayne Bowman

Brothers Nigel and Marvin "Marlu" Lewis have made it to the UK Billboard charts, even after their days as a soca duo are over.

Their 1996 Road March hit "Follow The Leader" is currently at number five on the UK dance charts.

This remix version was done in England last year by DJ Chocolate Puma on the Relentless Label in collaboration with local label Rituals.

The brothers went to London last year to work on the remix and its accompanying video.

This is not the first time the song has found itself in the higher regions of international charts.

In 1998 another dance remix of the song topped the charts in France, where it sold more than 125,000 copies and achieved Silver status.

Then in November of 2002, American band Soca Boys debuted at number 68 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart with a dance version cover of "Follow The Leader".

Recorded on the Republic/Universal label, the song stayed on the charts for several weeks.

Marvin said yesterday although he is thrilled over the song making it on to the charts, it has no bearing on his career at present.

He said he and Nigel are no longer a duo and are at different places in their lives and careers.

The two separated in 2001 when their band Matrixx folded after it failed to attract job offers.

Nigel became a born-again Christian and moved to Florida in November 2001.

Last month, he released a gospel CD collection and is focusing on taking his career in that direction.

Marvin is the lead vocalist with soca band Atlantik.

Yesterday, he said: "Right now I'm committed to Atlantik, and that is where my focus must be."

He said even if the success of the song leads to international performance requests, he doesn't see Nigel and himself accepting them.

I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS:
    1- FOLLOW THE LEADER STILL HOT?! HOW DE UK SO LATE!!?
    2- WHY WHEN A SOCA ARTIST BECOMES UNSUCCESSFUL, WE ALWAYS HEAR THEY TURN TO GOSPEL? I HEARD THAT ABOUT PETER C A WHILE BACK (NEXT THING HE WAS IN XTATIK), I HEAR JAYDEE IS INTO GOSPEL...NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT, BUT I WAS JUST WONDERING

RE: FOLLOW THE LEADER?!

Well... yuh could look at it this way

It is a sign on de power of the music. It is always a good sign that a song can last the test of time. The only shame is that we dont promote our own music to those heights. It is always some other artists get to enjoy the fruits... but hey that is another topic and i dont want to get started on that 1....

Pepa done