Thread: ewwwwwwww, allyuh have to read dis...

Credits

ewwwwwwww, allyuh have to read dis...

www.trinidadexpress.com

UWI baffled by beetles in mango

By CAROLYN KISSOON

South Bureau

IT WAS out of curiosity that Zaid Khan took up a knife and cut open a mango seed. What he discovered inside has stunned many and baffled University of the West Indies entomololgist Dr Chris Starr.

Nestled inside the mango seed was a nest of beetle-like insects, fully grown, and apparently feeding on the fruit’s seed.

Khan told the Express it was about one month ago that he made the discovery and grew concerned after reading of the recent beetle invasion that temporarily closed down a school in Moruga.

“I pick a few mangoes from the tree and began eating. I do not know what made me cut it open. I just could not believe what I saw. The beetles were just crawling out one by one. I have never seen these things before,” a still surprised Khan said yesterday.

Khan, of Mary Street, San Fernando, said he found it so unusual he went to Pointe-a-Pierre where he picked mangoes and found the same beetle-type insects in the seeds.

The Express visited Khan’s home yesterday and observed the fruit which appeared to be a normal starch mango. Even the seed looked normal. Khan picked a mango, ate the pulp, cut open the seed and several “ beetles “crawled out. The same thing happened with three other mangoes he picked.

“A lot of people eat mangoes from this tree and no one realised that there were “beetles” inside,” Khan said.

Starr told the Express he had never heard of such an occurrence. He believes that the” beetles” might have laid their eggs in the plant’s ovary and they grew inside the seed. However, Starr noted that under these circumstances the insect would usually find its way out of the fruit in its early stages. “But I cannot say why this creature grew to maturity inside the mango,” he said.

Credits
    OH GORSHHH GROSSSSSSS

Credits
    ah well, looks like i wont be eating any more mangoes for the rest of the season

D'Only1
    um..... Bagogyul, morning to you too. Next time lets just stick to nice early morning breakfast stories okay

* wondering if the pulp will have the eggs in it and will it grow inside someone's stomach.... hmmmmm......* food for thought

Credits
    tht was very nasty... and just think i was sucking on a mango yesterday...... yuukkkk... i feel sick now...

Credits

Talking sorry guys

but is important info....for allyuh mango eaters.

D'Only1

Re: sorry guys

Originally posted by BAGOGYUL
    but is important info....for allyuh mango eaters.

I suggest you stick to talking about Royal Castle, that is your duty on imix from now on okay. No stinky stinky mango posts.