Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Envy

  1. #1
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest

    Envy

    a friend of mine told me that they envied me today and it made me feel real funny...i told her i don't think there is any reason for anyone to envy me...but i didn't even find out why she believe that she does.

    it got me to thinking because i can't think of a person in my life that i ENVY, because even though there are aspects of their life that i admire, i know that another aspects suffers because of it...so for that reason i don't envy them...



    i realized that after she said that, that i don't want to be envied, and i really don't even want to know why she felt that way

    my questions are:

    have you ever envied anyone...and why
    has anyone ever envied you...and why
    do you think envy serves a good purpose...like inspiration
    would you want to be envied

  2. #2
    UNBREAKABLE vincyempress's Avatar vincyempress is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ovah so
    Posts
    13,515
    Credits
    1,036,871
    I never envies anyone...i never really gasp the defination of that..
    like wanting wut the person have in a jealous way?
    like coveting?
    hmmm
    i never envied anyone, and i dont think anyone ever envied me. I know ppl nhave been jealous of me.
    ENVY is a negative way of feeling, so i see y u may "feel funny"
    Made In Vincy
    ~As humans we are equal but when it comes to standards and morals and ethics, they set us apart~
    Adidja me love yo, cake soap and all..."all of ah sudden me fall in love wid u"

  3. #3
    Registered User BacchanalDiva's Avatar BacchanalDiva is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In Oshun's embrace
    Posts
    15,824
    Credits
    8,696,811
    I think the word envy has negative connotations but you can admire something someone has/is/etc and wish you could have/be the same w/out it being a jealous kind of thing. ie, yuh g/f finished her masters and her career is doing great while you're still trying to figure you what you want to do...you can envy her accomplishment, her sense of direction etc.

    I have envied ppl for one reason or another and most times when ppl have admitted to envying something about me I've been flattered.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

    "god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

  4. #4
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I think the word envy has negative connotations but you can admire something someone has/is/etc and wish you could have/be the same w/out it being a jealous kind of thing. ie, yuh g/f finished her masters and her career is doing great while you're still trying to figure you what you want to do...you can envy her accomplishment, her sense of direction etc.

    I have envied ppl for one reason or another and most times when ppl have admitted to envying something about me I've been flattered.
    the only thing negative about envy to me is that it means that the person doing the envying has a level of inadequacy and insecurity....i would hate to know that characteristic is present in any of my friends...that is why it made me feel funny because i want all my friends to be strong and secure...it's not flattering to me

  5. #5
    Registered User BacchanalDiva's Avatar BacchanalDiva is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In Oshun's embrace
    Posts
    15,824
    Credits
    8,696,811
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkigiovanni View Post
    the only thing negative about envy to me is that it means that the person doing the envying has a level of inadequacy and insecurity....i would hate to know that characteristic is present in any of my friends...that is why it made me feel funny because i want all my friends to be strong and secure...it's not flattering to me
    I disagree. Because you envy something doesn't mean that you don't think you can get/achieve it yourself. Or if you envy a trait in a person doesn't mean that you don't think highly of yourself...being able to see your own shortcomings doesn't mean that you're insecure. Two of my nieces just graduated from college and we had a party for them last sunday, I was telling someone that one of them knew her major and her minor since her sophomore year and stuck w/ it while the other changed 3 times during her 4 yrs and that that one is "flighty like me" cause I did the same thing. I can envy the 1st niece's decisiveness and wish I was more so but doesn't mean that I'm not happy and secure in who I am. If I envied a trait that I felt would really fix something I'm not happy w/ then I would emulate it.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

    "god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

  6. #6
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I disagree. Because you envy something doesn't mean that you don't think you can get/achieve it yourself. Or if you envy a trait in a person doesn't mean that you don't think highly of yourself...being able to see your own shortcomings doesn't mean that you're insecure. Two of my nieces just graduated from college and we had a party for them last sunday, I was telling someone that one of them knew her major and her minor since her sophomore year and stuck w/ it while the other changed 3 times during her 4 yrs and that that one is "flighty like me" cause I did the same thing. I can envy the 1st niece's decisiveness and wish I was more so but doesn't mean that I'm not happy and secure in who I am. If I envied a trait that I felt would really fix something I'm not happy w/ then I would emulate it.
    if that was the case then you would just admire the trait....but you yourself said envy is negative

    Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva
    I think the word envy has negative connotations but you can admire something someone has/is/etc and wish you could have/be the same w/out it being a jealous kind of thing. ie, yuh g/f finished her masters and her career is doing great while you're still trying to figure you what you want to do...you can envy her accomplishment, her sense of direction etc.

    I have envied ppl for one reason or another and most times when ppl have admitted to envying something about me I've been flattered.

    it's almost like your two posts are contradicting each other

  7. #7
    Self Made Naughtyshawtie's Avatar Naughtyshawtie is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    12,410
    Credits
    43,653,204
    i eh go lie...i have envied before...
    Living like Peggy, plotting like Joan

  8. #8
    Players Play I Coach Swollen's Avatar Swollen is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,730
    Credits
    154,636,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Naughtyshawtie View Post
    i eh go lie...i have envied before...
    Tell us about it.

  9. #9
    life is beautiful Guyanese_Princess's Avatar Guyanese_Princess is offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    -------> Here
    Posts
    887
    Credits
    19,899
    One time I was at IKEA trying to tie a big box on the hood of my little Honda with that ridiculous string they does give you. A young attractive couple in a Land Rover pulled up in the spot next to me. She was pretty and he was handsome. Two big men came out the store and put a set of big giant boxes in the LR and they drove off. I was still standing there with my string. I really hated on them that day. First time in my life I ever felt so covetous.

  10. #10
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyanese_Princess View Post
    One time I was at IKEA trying to tie a big box on the hood of my little Honda with that ridiculous string they does give you. A young attractive couple in a Land Rover pulled up in the spot next to me. She was pretty and he was handsome. Two big men came out the store and put a set of big giant boxes in the LR and they drove off. I was still standing there with my string. I really hated on them that day. First time in my life I ever felt so covetous.
    really????
    over superficial things like looks and a car

    that is very interesting

  11. #11
    life is beautiful Guyanese_Princess's Avatar Guyanese_Princess is offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    -------> Here
    Posts
    887
    Credits
    19,899
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkigiovanni View Post
    really????
    over superficial things like looks and a car

    that is very interesting
    Envy in its very nature is superficial.

  12. #12
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyanese_Princess View Post
    Envy in its very nature is superficial.
    you think so???

    my friends that i have even slight envy for are the ones that i see are pursuing their art and passions...although i see where they are struggling because of it, they still don't back down from doing their hearts desire...would that be considered superficial?

  13. #13
    Registered User BacchanalDiva's Avatar BacchanalDiva is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In Oshun's embrace
    Posts
    15,824
    Credits
    8,696,811
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkigiovanni View Post
    if that was the case then you would just admire the trait....but you yourself said envy is negative




    it's almost like your two posts are contradicting each other
    Not contradicting..i said it has negative connotations but then went on to say it doesn't have to be associated w/ jealousy and all that. However, I just went to good old dictionary.com to see if the proper meaning is as negative as we think and it is...

    enviousness. Envy and jealousy are very close in meaning. Envy denotes a longing to possess something awarded to or achieved by another: to feel envy when a friend inherits a fortune. Jealousy, on the other hand, denotes a feeling of resentment that another has gained something that one more rightfully deserves: to feel jealousy when a coworker receives a promotion. Jealousy also refers to anguish caused by fear of unfaithfulness. 4. resent. Envy, begrudge, covet refer to one's attitude toward the possessions or attainments of others. To envy is to feel resentful and unhappy because someone else possesses, or has achieved, what one wishes oneself to possess, or to have achieved: to envy the wealthy, a woman's beauty, an honest man's reputation. To begrudge is to be unwilling that another should have the possessions, honors, or credit that person deserves: to begrudge a man a reward for heroism. To covet is to long jealously to possess what someone else possesses: I covet your silverware.
    So maybe the problem is word choice and your friend didn't actually mean she was resentful or jealous of anything about you. Maybe she just mean that she admires you and wishes to be like you in whatever way she was referring to?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

    "god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

  14. #14
    Registered User Steupz's Avatar Steupz is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    10,883
    Credits
    1,226,784
    I starting to think Nikki and Ole Murderer is de same person

  15. #15
    nikkigiovanni
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    I starting to think Nikki and Ole Murderer is de same person
    that is hilarious...we are definitely NOT the same person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •