Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entreperneurial Spirit

LB
    Credits

Entreperneurial Spirit

how many of you believe you have an entrepreneurial spirit?

if so, how many have put your dreams into action or plan to do so in the near future?

and what about you makes you believe you have the ability to be an entrepreneur?
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    how many of you believe you have an entrepreneurial spirit?

if so, how many have put your dreams into action or plan to do so in the near future?

and what about you makes you believe you have the ability to be an entrepreneur?
    I most certainly do and I am in the process of putting my dreams into action.

I have always wanted to be in business for myself and my plan is to stay in corporate for a few years to gain experience and network then branch off on my own.

I'm interested in restaurant business and I already have my concept... but I have something else in the works right now.

I can only be me.... MadamStatuesque's Avatar MadamStatuesque is offline
    Credits
    I know I definitely do. I've always had an eye for design/decor/event planning but I never realized my talents until I helped plan a shower some time ago. And I loveeeeeeeeeee customization. I'm always trying to figure out ways to revamp an old piece (clothing, shoes, etc.) and make it current.

so far, i have my mas footwear customization business and it is doing well. more and more people are finding about it and pretty i will have to hire help (after all, there's but so many hrs in a day). some ppl are telling me to bring out a costume section next yr so who knows.

I have the ability to be an entrepreneur simply because I cater to the customer without compromising myself. Im honest with them if need be without making them feel like their ideas arent good enough. Not to mention, I dont just see $$- I like to know that my customer is happy.
    Not a single ounce of fock shall be given today...

LB
    Credits
    Really to read both of you!

i think we need more of that spirit and more ppl taking the "plunge" and doing their thing.

it isnt easy being your own boss but when your vision is super clear and your goals are bigger than just money, I have found most succeed. Both of you expressed both points.

now for the flip side...what do you feel or see as your weaknesses that you may need help with or may need to turn over to someone else?

Credits

i think we need more of that spirit and more ppl taking the "plunge" and doing their thing.

it isnt easy being your own boss but when your vision is super clear and your goals are bigger than just money, I have found most succeed. Both of you expressed both points.

now for the flip side...what do you feel or see as your weaknesses that you may need help with or may need to turn over to someone else?
    I suck at taking criticism cuz my ego is this big **stretches out arms as wide as possible**

i dont cuss or anything but i always beat myself up about criticism of my work.

Credits

Design ... That's one of my sister's forte' ... I can tell you if the end product looks good but doh ask me to design and decorate shit.

I love cooking, creating recipes, food decor and I'm experienced in accounting, operations, human resources and guest services.

LB
    Credits
    ***this is my thing, talking about these kind of things if you all dont mind If not, just tell me to shaddup*

GLT, maybe a mentor in the same field would be a good idea. Someone you are willing to trust regarding offering you constructive criticism :
    Otherwise you do run the risk of not making timely business decisions because you feel a) you can handle it all b) dont want to face a particular future decision b/c you will beat yourself up over a past decision.

Nica - you are like me. I can see the end product and say yea or nay but dont ask me to design a thing! But I see a jack of all trades ability of you. You are capable of alot of other business aspects but that has a tendency to make a person lose the bigger picture since you are focused on the details so intimately.

I say all of the above based on experience and working with others - having a person who is the clear visionary - the big picture person - is so critical in new businesses. I never thought so until I saw businesses fail just on this small point.

Credits
    ***this is my thing, talking about these kind of things if you all dont mind If not, just tell me to shaddup*

GLT, maybe a mentor in the same field would be a good idea. Someone you are willing to trust regarding offering you constructive criticism :
    Otherwise you do run the risk of not making timely business decisions because you feel a) you can handle it all b) dont want to face a particular future decision b/c you will beat yourself up over a past decision.
    I agree. I didn't even think about that. Thanks LB.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovyLittleThing View Post
    I agree. I didn't even think about that. Thanks LB.
    no problemo. Analyzing these things is my forte

but i really think it would be so great if more black ppl were willing to be entrepreneurs. Not everyone is cut out for it I know, but I think honest assessments of ability etc. goes a long way towards successful start-ups.

Credits
    I am a writer...I have the ability to capture the essence of anything and transmit it to my readers....i have several projects in the works...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits

Nica - you are like me. I can see the end product and say yea or nay but dont ask me to design a thing! But I see a jack of all trades ability of you. You are capable of alot of other business aspects but that has a tendency to make a person lose the bigger picture since you are focused on the details so intimately.

I say all of the above based on experience and working with others - having a person who is the clear visionary - the big picture person - is so critical in new businesses. I never thought so until I saw businesses fail just on this small point.
    That is true and I have that issue in my current job.... I can do pretty much everything at the hotel but my main job usually takes a back seat....until I tell everybody fock off I have work to do.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    That is true and I have that issue in my current job.... I can do pretty much everything at the hotel but my main job usually takes a back seat....until I tell everybody fock off I have work to do.
    @ the fock off part! You done know already how that goes!

I have control issues. I like to do everything myself and dont subcontract out work until I am way over my head and I am drowning......and telling folks to f off too.

so when u are running your own thing that's a good thing to be conscious of. Decide early on what you role is and check in with yourself monthly to make sure you are not tackling too many aspects of your business all at once.

LR - you didnt quite answer the question :

Credits
    @ the fock off part! You done know already how that goes!

I have control issues. I like to do everything myself and dont subcontract out work until I am way over my head and I am drowning......and telling folks to f off too.

so when u are running your own thing that's a good thing to be conscious of. Decide early on what you role is and check in with yourself monthly to make sure you are not tackling too many aspects of your business all at once.

LR - you didnt quite answer the question :
    Likewise I am a control freak.... I feel nobody else can do something as good as I can.... I'm getting better with that though. It's been a work in progress and I think I'm doing well in teaching and letting go.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Likewise I am a control freak.... I feel nobody else can do something as good as I can.... I'm getting better with that though. It's been a work in progress and I think I'm doing well in teaching and letting go.
    I'm getting better too. Took landing my butt in the ER a couple of times before I smartened up.....going 5 days straight without sleep will bring down anybody

delegating is easier said than done. You have to hand something over, decide if oyu made a good decision in whom you trust and then let them flow...then keep your eye on the big picture to make sure all the parts are working together.

but I have seen this be the biggest stumbling blocks with entreprenuers. They are entrepreneurs because they have *big egos* as GLT said, and believe in their own talents. And ince a business is their "baby" they can be over-protective much to their own demise.

Credits
    BRB
    I'm going to source a bottle of Shiraz

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast