Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: English language

Credits
    There is no English word for "Estadounidense" which refers to "person from the states"...in English people simply say "American".

"Estrenar" is another one that doesn't exist...it means "wearing something you bought for the first time" you are "estrenando" your new shoes for example.

"Resol" = the reflected sunshine off the wall...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    if a jamaican mother talking to her children and telling them that their food is on the table.. she may say "unno food deh pan di table, mek sure unno wash unno hand dem before unno eat"... she is talking to them as a group.. so unno...
    a non jamaican woman saying the same thing may say " your dinner is on the table so make sure you wash your hands before you eat"

so unno - you and your.. as in your (collective) dinner is on the table so make sure each one of you individually wash YOUR hands before you (collectively and individually) eat
    What are you talking about??? "Your" = "fi/fu you" or just, "your" in Western Caribbean Creoles... "Unu" is the PLURAL FORM of you.... It is only used in this case... To pluralize "YOU"

and i doh kno wha belizeans does say.. i talkin bout jamaicans..
    What are you talking about? Belizeans and Jamaicans use "unu" to mean the same exact shyt... As in, "Unu Trinidadians cyaa andastan we... Unu onli try...lol"

It comes from igbo and mean's "you all" or "you guys".

Just like the Bajan "wunna" or the Bahamian "yinna"...

You are Trinidadian, why are you so interested in OUR word??? Go stick with "All you" or whatever...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    What are you talking about??? "Your" = "fi/fu you" or just, "your" in Western Caribbean Creoles... "Unu" is the PLURAL FORM of you.... It is only used in this case... To pluralize "YOU"

What are you talking about? Belizeans and Jamaicans use "unu" to mean the same exact shyt... As in, "Unu Trinidadians cyaa andastan we... Unu onli try...lol"

It comes from igbo and mean's "you all" or "you guys".

Just like the Bajan "wunna" or the Bahamian "yinna"...

You are Trinidadian, why are you so interested in OUR word??? Go stick with "All you" or whatever...
    I've actually heard a Jamaican speak as ladyras had described so I wouldn't say she's wrong.
    ladyrastafari, mz_JazE and TC like this.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    i saw somewhere the japanese have a word for someone show looks good from the back but not he front...lol...there should be an english word for that...
    jamaicangirl likes this.
    Living like Peggy, plotting like Joan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    I've actually heard a Jamaican speak as ladyras had described so I wouldn't say she's wrong.
    She's wrong... "Your" my ass...lol. It O.N.L.Y. means you all (you two, you guys, all of you...etc...)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by A.K.K.S. View Post
    Have mercy on her sir, she does not have Jamaican heritage.
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    So what are some words that do not exist in standard English that should? What are other things that you have noticed about English because you understand a foreign language or because you speak a dialect/creole/pidgin?

Exmaple
    I don't understand why there is no English word for "unnu". The plural form of "you" does not exist. You all or you guys or Y'all is often used but is not standard.

What are some things that you can express clearly to people from back home that you have to explain to Americans/Brits/Canadians?
    Do you have a few more examples for your friends across the pond?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teatre View Post
    Have mercy on her sir, she does not have Jamaican heritage.
    I guess she feel's like an expert because she has had so many Jamaicans inside of her

Credits
    wtf AKKS? was that asshole statement really necessary? smh stupid belizean c**t

... .. bout "our" word.. always trying to align yuhself wid jamaicans and to date i have NEVER seen one reciprocate.. and you know anyting bout my heritage? if not stfu!

if a teacher says to a class "which one of you wants to erase the board?" is she speaking to the class as group using YOU or is she speaking to one person???
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    :

I don't get it, LR.

You are quick to laugh at another Imixer's expense but when the joke's on you, you become bitterly defensive about it.

The adage that applies here is:

"Treat others how you like to be treated"
    Triniminx and A.K.K.S. like this.

Credits
    jaymaca.. why don't you go make a thread about where you can find black men in picadilly square or something please. ... AKKS is always on some bullshit or the other.. i really can't be bothered about it.. you can say i am wrong about the topic and that's fine.. but then all that other shit? unnecessary..
    mz_JazE and TC like this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    jaymaca.. why don't you go make a thread about where you can find black men in picadilly square or something please. ... AKKS is always on some bullshit or the other.. i really can't be bothered about it.. you can say i am wrong about the topic and that's fine.. but then all that other shit? unnecessary..
    Why? Because I simply don't want to "go make a thread about where you can find black men in picadilly square or something please". But feel free to do that, if you want.

Now saying that you are "wrong" would not make you just say fine, as you are quick to jump on the defensive with any opposition against yourself. I float in and out of imix but even I can see the trend...
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Credits
    chick, i'm not having this discussion with you.. run along.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Any word that is used enough in American society is eventually added to "the dictionary".. they recently added stuff like liveblog, FaceTime and cyberbully...i think i heard that they even added frenemy lol...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teatre View Post
    Now saying that you are "wrong" would not make you just say fine, as you are quick to jump on the defensive with any opposition against yourself. I float in and out of imix but even I can see the trend...
    if u waiting for that... don't hold yuh breath...IMJ
    A.K.K.S. likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast