Thread: Emergency surgery for the Mighty Sparrow

Credits

Post Emergency surgery for the Mighty Sparrow

Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday : newsday.co.tt :

Surgery for Sparrow
    By VERDEL BISHOP Thursday, July 29 2010

click on pic to zoom inFRAIL BIRDIE: Calypso Rose (McArthur Lewis) shows some love to a frail Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Francisco) at the recent NAPA fest in Port-of-Spain. Sp...UNDISPUTED Calypso King of the World, the Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Francisco) underwent emergency surgery on Sunday, after collapsing at a concert in Maryland, USA. Sparrow, 75, had to be rushed by ambulance to Montgomery General Hospital in Maryland, where he underwent emergency surgery.

The surgery came a mere week after a frail-looking, wheelchair bound Sparrow appeared at NAPA Fest, where he was carded for a performance, but was barely able to do so. It was deja vu all over again when Sparrow had to be assisted off the stage during a performance at “Kaiso on the Greens” in Maryland on Saturday July 24, leaving patrons stunned and concerned about his frail health.

A press release stated that Sparrow appeared at the Maryland concert “physically weak”. Nearing the end of his performance, which he did in a seated position, he began clutching his lower right side with a painful grimace on his face which brought his performance and the show to a premature end.

A medical report prepared by Trinidadian Dr Patricia C Sandiford, who was at hand to assist Sparrow at the Maryland concert, stated that Sparrow suffered an acute attack of the right groin while performing at the venue.

He was administered emergency care and was stabilised, before being rushed to hospital, where Dr George Conrad performed emergency surgery the following day for an incarcerated right inguinal hernia.

Incarcerated right inguinal hernia, according to one website, is a condition in which intra-abdominal fat or part of the small intestine, also called the small bowel, bulges through a weak area in the lower abdominal muscles. An inguinal hernia occurs in the groin—the area between the abdomen and thigh.

Sparrow was released from hospital three days ago and is reported to be recuperating at a private home in Silver Springs, Maryland.

When Newsday contacted his wife, Margaret Francisco, she declined to comment. Sparrow’s good friend, Alvin Daniell, who confirmed speaking to Sparrow recently, said although it is not certain whether or not the surgery was the needed cure for Sparrow’s health troubles, the calypsonian is doing one hundred percent better and is in good spirits. He said that Sparrow thanks his fans for their concern.

Although visibly ailing, Sparrow insisted on performing a week ago at NAPA Fest. Shortly after his NAPA Fest appearance, Sparrow, who has been ailing for some time, returned to New York, where he now resides, and was awaiting results on a battery of medical tests which are still forthcoming.

Calypso Rose is absolutely adorable to me!

Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Taj
    Credits
    hope things get better for him

yes she is... she is a firecracker!
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    I save that picture those 2 are de best people in de world.

I met sparrow when I was bout 8 and his happy smile has always been with me.