Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Oneshot
  • 3 Post By Poca
  • 3 Post By jamaicangirl

Thread: Eight Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended!

Credits

Exclamation Eight Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended!

How come there is no similar outcry against the parents of these girls and the boys involved who would have gotten them pregnant as there was against Helen Bartlett for disciplining her 12 year old daughter child to save her from ending up in the same predicament?

Is it because this is what we want in T&T society which is why parents are being vilified for disciplining their children at home in addition to corporal punishment being banned in schools?

It seems to me that this is what is desired hence why no outrage against the children involved and their parents.

Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended
    By CECILY ASSON Monday, May 19 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh has requested an immediate investigation be conducted into a report of eight pregnant students at a secondary school in south Trinidad.

The pregnant schoolgirls have been identified as members of the school’s football team while the fathers-to-be are said to be from the same school.

Gopeesingh said once the girls are found to be under the age of 16, police must institute criminal proceedings.

He said he was unaware of the incident.

“It has not been brought to the attention of the Minister of Education, the Chief Education Officer nor the schools supervisor. I have just read it this morning and I have asked for an investigation to be done into it immediately. If the girls are in fact pregnant, they will be suspended with immediate effect and if they are under the age of 16, that is a matter for the police. We will have to report it to the police as the law requires.”

On Saturday during a national consultation in Chaguanas, Zena Ramatali, President of the National Parent Teachers’ Association, revealed that the eight schoolgirls, one of whom is a Form One student, were all pregnant and no one has been arrested for having sex with the minors.

“If that had come to the attention or the knowledge of the principal, the schools supervisor or the teachers, they ought to have reported that to the police immediately and also to the Ministry of Education as required by the law.” Gopeesingh further said that parents as well, should take some blame as they too are required by law to report such matters to the police.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    how is suspending the girls supposed to help the situation.
    Mr_Crafty and mz_JazE like this.

Sweetness4life Mrs. Yankee Doodle's Avatar Mrs. Yankee Doodle is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    That is the first thing that came to my mind.....how is that helping these girls? SMH
    Live life in concert with your values!
    Never be paralyzed!
    Don't wait for people to change! - Dr. Robert Brooks

DiTriniempress
    Maybe to scare other girls from having sex at such a young age? That idea kinda make sense to me but I don't see it really working either.

Credits
    Good question.

It may be time for some serious sexual education and free condom supplies. Obviously these kids are having sex and are not protecting themselves enough. This time they end up with a baby, next time they might get something much worse.
    Chen ki jap pa mde!

Credits
    So it's only girls who need to be scared from having sex?

Anyway, this looks like another way to shame the female gender once again.

Quote Originally Posted by DiTriniempress View Post
    Maybe to scare other girls from having sex at such a young age? That idea kinda make sense to me but I don't see it really working either.
    Mr_Crafty, mz_JazE and bktrini305 like this.
    Chen ki jap pa mde!

Credits
    They need to continue their education. Suspending them will not help.

These girls and boys need to be raised with better values, goals and morals. Supervision, love, direction but most of all HIGH EXPECTATIONS from their parents and from their community. The boys and the parents are equally "guilty" so why punish the girls only?
    Mr_Crafty, mz_JazE and bktrini305 like this.

Credits
    Teen moms must get an education
    By Cecily Asson Wednesday, May 21 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Eight Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended!-ministry_of_gender_2.20.5.14_9a_cc.jpg
    Women's advocate: Senator Raziah Ahmed at a National Commission for Women's Empowerment and Gender Equity talk in San Fernando yesterday.

EDUCATION must remain the focal point for girls who become pregnant while still in primary or secondary schools, Minister of State in the Ministry of Gender, Youth and Child Development Senator Raziah Ahmed said yesterday.

According to Ahmed, it must be the continued focus for teenagers, if they want to escape the harsh circumstances which tend to follow such an event in their early lives.

It was Ahmed’s response when questioned by the media on allegations made over the weekend by the National Parent Teachers Association about pregnant students.

Ahmed delivered the feature address yesterday at the first in a series of three stakeholders consultations on the establishment of a National Commission for Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equity at the City Hall in San Fernando.

She told reporters: “In general, our ministry will work in collaboration with the Ministry of Education to investigate those reports as fully as we can. Our perspective is that children who find themselves in these circumstances, must continue their education and we have to find ways and means of ensuring that they continue their education in order that they could take better care of their children and ensure a family unit that is sustainable and healthy.”

She told Newsday on Monday, the Ministry of Gender, Youth and Child Development met with their heads of department and the matter was discussed.

She further said, “We got some preliminary reports but we still need to ascertain what is the final truth as to the number of girls (involved) and their whereabouts. Education is critical if they are to continue and escape the kind of harsh circumstances that attend young girls who find themselves pregnant.”

Speaking earlier to the packed woman’s forum at City Hall auditorium yesterday, Ahmed stressed the need for the establishment for a National Commission for Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equity. She said such commissions are already established in Belize, Canada, India, Pakistan and Guyana to advance the rights and privilege of women.

She said Trinidad and Tobago had previously established the National Commission on the Status of Women which functioned from March 1974 to 1976. Among those who served on the body that was led by chairperson Judge Elizabeth Bourne-Holland, the first female judge in Trinidad and Tobago, was late founder and Editor-in-Chief of Newsday, Therese Mills and Principal Medical Officer, Dr Norma Andrews.

Described as “powerhouses” and “pioneers”, Ahmed said as her ministry forges ahead in their plan to set up another commission, the work of women who went before, must not be forgotten.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Do they suspend young boys as well?
    "Gaza man crazy...dem in jail"

Credits
    My opinion on this!

Lack of discipline has obviously broken down in that school with 8 students getting pregnant by fellow students and I might be wrong but I think this could have a direct connection with them banning corporal punishment in T&T schools.

Some cut-asrse from a teacher or the principal when those students were first caught getting up to mischief might have saved 8 girls from getting pregnant by fellow students later down the line.

This is exactly what Hellen Bartlett was saving her daughter from ending up being a victim of and many folks tried to condemn her.

Now tell me which is better, some last resort corporal punishment done out of love for the children not ruining their lives or this?
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

DSP
    Credits
    A few years back I was in a city in the midwest that had school specifically for teen mothers that taught them
    nutrition, how to farm, raise farm animals, and what foods to give their babies to grow healthy. I thought it was a great idea especially with the rise of urban agriculture. They had a 97% attendance rate and 90% graduation rate and the girls went on to post secondary education. This was a type of public/charter school but you had to be a teen mom to go there.
    Unfortunately it was marked for closure for 'budget' reasons, and had to be 'privatized'. Not sure how it's doing now.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan