Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Curry Crab n Dumplin

Thread: Dominica: The whale watching capital of the Caribbean

Credits

Thumbs up Dominica: The whale watching capital of the Caribbean

One of the trickiest parts of setting up a whale watching trip is making sure you’re in the right place at the right time.

While they are fantastic whale watching spots, places like Hermanus (South Africa) and Santa Catarina (Brazil) only witness the giant ocean-bound beasts for a small part of the year.

Dominica is great because you don’t need to time a trip to coincide with any migratory season – it’s the only country in the world around which sperm whales can be spotted all year. It’s said there’s a 90 percent success rate for excursions around the Caribbean island.

Even more impressive is that two-thirds of all 33 known cetacean species – that is, whales, dolphins, and porpoises – are found in Dominican waters.

Spotters have a good chance of seeing pilot whales, pygmy whales, Atlantic spinner dolphins and spotted dolphins, while the truly lucky may also catch a glimpse of the elusive little pygmy sperm, false killer and Atlantic Bottlenose whales.

Whales and dolphins are drawn to this part of the ocean because the deep sheltered bays along Dominica’s western coastline are the perfect havens for breeding and calving.

The region’s pristine reefs, dramatic walls, underwater springs and abundant marine life also make Dominica a great diving spot.

Visitors are advised to book with eco-conscious operators who strive to minimize the disturbance of whales.

Responsible Travel, a tour operator that aims to live up to its name, has more information about holidays in Dominica and whale watching on its website.

Large up the Nature Isle

with that posted.. I remember there was a guy who could talk to whales.. real talk.. he would go out n call on a whale n every time the same one came up to greet him.. some Disney story behind it.. Imma post it when i find it..

--------------------------------------------------------

Fantastic photographs taken last week in the surrounding waters of the Caribbean Island Dominica portray a most unusual friendship between a Giant Sperm Whale and a man. This friendship is the result of 10 years of soft approaches and patience.

The man in the photographs is Andrew Armour, now known as The Whale Whisperer. In the pictures you can see Mr Armour swim alongside the 32-foot (9,7 meter) long Scar. The first encounter between the two dates back to 2000, when the then infant Sperm Whale came swimming up to Mr Armour’s and his wife’s boat, badly injured. The healed injuries gave the Giant Sperm Whale is nickname Scar.

“His head and dorsal fin were injured and he came to our boat, perhaps seeking some comfort. The most we could do was pet him and his injuries left him with some scarring. From then on he and another young female would approach us whenever they saw our boat. We could even call him over. Now he recognises me when I am swimming. I feel like he even knows my voice. I can get very close with him because we trust each other. I even clean lice off him and he lets me do it. Other whales in the area don’t tend to stay in the same place when humans are around but Scar seeks interaction and seems to enjoy being petted.”

Giant Sperm Whales are amongst the largest carnivores around, and although it is dangerous to make whales in general think human beings are friendly, Mr Armour says the interaction he has with Scar seems to satisfy the animal and that he “enjoys” it.
    30 Ft Whale Shark Spotted South Of The Island

Credits
    Very nice!!!
    Since they like swimming off the coast of Dominica are those whales considered Dominican then?

And do we all need to come to Dominica to have a whale of a time?!

In T&T we normally have a whale of a time for Carnival but not all year round!
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    WOW I'd love to swim with whales!

Credits
    them tings is huge

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    bloodcleeeet
    triniameri and Maruka like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Very nice!!!
    Since they like swimming off the coast of Dominica are those whales considered Dominican then?

And do we all need to come to Dominica to have a whale of a time?!

In T&T we normally have a whale of a time for Carnival but not all year round!
    I guess they are since it's D/a waters? Lol
    I haven't gathered the strength to go swim with them just yet lol maybe later this yr

Credits
    anyone ever did research as to why whales are in great numbers in Dominica

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    anyone ever did research as to why whales are in great numbers in Dominica
    They have a great whale witness protection program.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    They have a great whale witness protection program.
    so why they have so many pic of whales on the internet, some protection program

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    so why they have so many pic of whales on the internet, some protection program
    You ever see a whale with internet?

Credits
    LOL steupz. silly

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    You ever see a whale with internet?

you never know dude, if they in witness protection someone is trying to find dem. leh de man thread alone you post jacking whore.

Credits
    beautiful photos. i'd like to visit dominica one of these days