Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Does speaking Spanish disqualify you from being West Indian?

Credits

Does speaking Spanish disqualify you from being West Indian?

1) How come Haitians are sometimes considered WI while Dominicans, Cubans, PRicans are not...

2) Is it because Haitians look "Black" or is it because the Spanish countries prefer their Latin heritage over the "West Indian/Caribbean one"?

3) How come Spanish islands are more proud of their "Spanish culture" as opposed to the "English culture"? Is it that the Spanish did a better job of instilling Spanish pride?

These are some thoughts I have for years! whats your take on this

Curry Crab did a good job about opening our eyes to Puerto Rico.. I would have never known so much!
    Last edited by SWAGGERIFIC; 03-10-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Credits
    Haitians are not considered WI by many.

Haitians are very much different than their English speaking counterparts.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    1) How come Haitians are sometimes considered WI while Dominicans, Cubans, PRicans are not...

2) Is it because Haitians look "Black" or is it because the Spanish countries prefer their Latin heritage over the "West Indian/Caribbean one"?

3) How come Spanish islands are more proud of their "Spanish culture" as opposed to the "English culture"? Is it that the Spanish did a better job of instilling Spanish pride?

These are some thoughts I have for years! whats your take on this

Curry Crab did a good job about opening our eyes to Puerto Rico.. I would have never known so much!
    Shocker.

Credits
    Speaking Spanish I feel had nothing to to wud it since I speak Spanish...I'm very much proud of both cultures trini n Colombian..
    "If you can blame yourself, the fix is pretty easy"

Credits
    did W.Indians disqualify them, or did they disqualify themselves??

last I checked,THEY dont consider themselves W.Indian.....nothing to do with speaking spanish, or being black for that matter
    From you have life you have everyting
    Dem couldn't stop my breath
    Can't take my life
    Jah loves me so
    Can't take my soul
    I'm going back for everything and more
    I'm unstoppable

Credits
    We are Caribbean Hispanics, we aren't just a spanish-speaking version of the Anglo caribbean. You can find many pan-caribbean aspects in dominican, puerto rican and cuban culture, but we are fairly different from anglo-caribbeans culturally.

Poca
    How so?

[QUOTE=optimizm;3917940]Haitians are not considered WI by many.

Haitians are very much different than their English speaking counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Credits
    [QUOTE=Poca;3917960]How so?

Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    Haitians are not considered WI by many.

Haitians are very much different than their English speaking counterparts.[/QUOTE]
    please don't bother with that one
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmyK View Post
    did W.Indians disqualify them, or did they disqualify themselves??

last I checked,THEY dont consider themselves W.Indian.....nothing to do with speaking spanish, or being black for that matter
    I know exactly what you mean, I believe that it is in the upbringing. In the Spanish language, there is no such term as: "West Indian", the closest thing we have to that is "Antillano" which means "person of the Antilles"...so many Caribbean Hispanics grow up without ever even hearing the term West Indian / Indies.

Another factor to consider is the fact that many Hispanic people in the U.S. are conditioned to focus on "Latin Pride" and aren't as culturally connected with other West Indians...I personally see it as a result of heavy colonization and the aftermath of the European's "divide and rule" mentality, which now causes us to separate ourselves from each-other...In a sense, this relates to modern day mental slavery. The white man knew that unity was strength, as long as they keep us thinking we are different and divided, they have the upper-hand. (at least this is what history has shown us).

This is just my humble opinion...I do not force anyone to see me as West Indian, it is just simply how I feel and how I live...those who want to accept me for who I am, kool...those who don't, kool same way. Nuff Respect!

Credits
    Opti if you look at settlement patterns in Brooklyn.....Haitians will live comfortably in a neighborhood with Trinis, Jamaicans, Bajans etc.

However the settlement patterns are different for Dominicans.

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry Crab n Dumplin View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, I believe that it is in the upbringing. In the Spanish language, there is no such term as: "West Indian", the closest thing we have to that is "Antillano" which means "person of the Antilles"...so many Caribbean Hispanics grow up without ever even hearing the term West Indian / Indies.

Another factor to consider is the fact that many Hispanic people in the U.S. are conditioned to focus on "Latin Pride" and aren't as culturally connected with other West Indians...I personally see it as a result of heavy colonization and the aftermath of the European's "divide and rule" mentality, which now causes us to separate ourselves from each-other...In a sense, this relates to modern day mental slavery. The white man knew that unity was strength, as long as they keep us thinking we are different and divided, they have the upper-hand. (at least this is what history has shown us).

This is just my humble opinion...I do not force anyone to see me as West Indian, it is just simply how I feel and how I live...those who want to accept me for who I am, kool...those who don't, kool same way. Nuff Respect!
    Awwwwwww! You could be an honorary West Indian - don't worry!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry Crab n Dumplin View Post

I accept anyone who reps West Indies!

My Trinbagonian pride comes first
    My West Indian pride comes second
    My "Black pride" is LAST

Credits
    i swear some of you talk like you made the rules of who included in this "west indian" group and who not. All this "group" seems to contain is former british west indians anyway.
    Ti sourit, ti sourit se nan pèlen ou rete
    Rat ki rat se nan pèlen ou rete
    Tèt zozo men pa ou, zozo kale men pa ou
    M ap konyen fanm nan jis solèy leve
    Bwa m kale tou wouj
    Kon piman , kon piman, Langyèt madivinèz
    Ou pa bezwen chandèl pou ou klere l

I can only be me.... MadamStatuesque's Avatar MadamStatuesque is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    i swear some of you talk like you made the rules of who included in this "west indian" group and who not. All this "group" seems to contain is former british west indians anyway.
    that's what i thought it was.
    Not a single ounce of fock shall be given today...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by tikreyol View Post
    k.
    From you have life you have everyting
    Dem couldn't stop my breath
    Can't take my life
    Jah loves me so
    Can't take my soul
    I'm going back for everything and more
    I'm unstoppable

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast