View Poll Results: Do you wash your meat before cooking it?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes always!

46 95.83%
  • No never!

1 2.08%
  • Sometimes....

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wash your meat before cooking it?

Credits

Do you wash your meat before cooking it?

I thought this was the norm, but aparently it's not. A coworker was giving me her meatloaf recipe and she mentioned that she never washes her meat.....

Credits
    Maybe I'm missreading your poll, but i buy the meat in a sealed package, usually, and I cook it which would take care of germs and what not, so why would I wash it and how would the process of washing it be any more sterilizing for the food?

Only time I have ever "washed" food, was when I was on a diet and I boiled and rinsed the meat to remove excess fat.

Credits
    I'm vegetarian, but do know how to cook chicken. The couple times I have cooked it, I washed it. My relatives and friends who are meat-eaters also always wash meat.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by currygyal View Post
    I'm vegetarian, but do know how to cook chicken. The couple times I have cooked it, I washed it. My relatives and friends who are meat-eaters also always wash meat.
    News to me. Is this with all meat or like when you buy a big portion with bones and all. I usually buy the boneless stuff, and I never washed it. But hey, you learn something new everyday. So what would be the value of washing it? Or is it just concern of where the food was before it was packaged?
    I wash my vegetables and fruit because I am not sterilizing them with heat and they usually have been handled without any packaging by a lot of people before I buy them.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotgirl11226 View Post
    I thought this was the norm, but aparently it's not. A coworker was giving me her meatloaf recipe and she mentioned that she never washes her meat.....

Definitely.

I always wash the meat, first with just water, followed by lemon juice...if no lemon juice then with a mild vinegar solution.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    News to me. Is this with all meat or like when you buy a big portion with bones and all. I usually buy the boneless stuff, and I never washed it. But hey, you learn something new everyday. So what would be the value of washing it? Or is it just concern of where the food was before it was packaged?
    I wash my vegetables and fruit because I am not sterilizing them with heat and they usually have been handled without any packaging by a lot of people before I buy them.
    Washing with vinegar/lemon suppose to kill bacteria, change the texture etc.

Credits
    Washing with vinegar/lemon suppose to kill bacteria, change the texture etc.
    OK. Now you have me confused. Are you talking marinades? Cause I marinade my meats in lemon or vinegar for flavor, but never considered it a a cleansing process. Do you rinse them after you marinade them?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    OK. Now you have me confused. Are you talking marinades? Cause I marinade my meats in lemon or vinegar for flavor, but never considered it a a cleansing process. Do you rinse them after you marinade them?
    Yes, I rinse it after. I doh consider that part of the "marinade" process. That comes afterwards...

Credits
    should dis even be a question on a west indian board....hell yea yuh muss wash d chicken...aldoh i kno some ppl..duz go from bag tuh pot

sharkie
    jus yesterday we take out de chicken, wash it, take off de skin, throw some cider/vinegar on it (cuz we run outta citrus) then season it.

PTM
    Credits
    I don't wash ground meats (beef, turkey or chicken). I was other meats prior to marinating them with lime/lemon juice and or vinegar.

Credits
    Yes, I rinse it after. I doh consider that part of the "marinade" process. That comes afterwards...
    Interesting. Don't know if it cleans it anymore than boiling does, but I guess extra caution doesn't hurt. Like I said, I used to do lemon water boil and rinse before cooking but not to cleanse it just because I wanted to remove fat from it.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    Definitely.

I always wash the meat, first with just water, followed by lemon juice...if no lemon juice then with a mild vinegar solution.
    ditto....esp. with fish (lime juice/vinegar).

hotgirl...most West Indians I know wash their meat before cooking it. If someone doesn't, it's not the end of the world...I wouldn't be surprised if chefs at restaurants don't wash a piece of meat before cooking it. However, as a habit, most of us do it...and will continue.

Credits
    Well next time I have the energy to cook I will wash just for in case.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    Definitely.

dittoo.....we ALWAYS have tons of vinegar under the sink just for that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast