Thread: Do You Struggle with Your Cultural Identity

Credits

Question Do You Struggle with Your Cultural Identity

being West Indian and living outside of the West Indies?
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    do you?
    ☆ JUICY ☆

Credits
    depends on what "west indian" means

the individual does not struggle with identity I presume

Credits
    im phasing between Jamaican and Dominica

Credits
    Why would anyone struggle? Some ppl go out of their way to distance themselves from that identity and others hold proud no matter where they live. Its a personal choice, dunno see why anyone would have to struggle.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Peachesss View Post
    do you?
    no im solid as far my identity as a Trinbagonian is concerned.......I fully embrace and love my culture.......I do however feel a certain level of disconnect when I am back home......

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    [QUOTE=Picong;3236993]no im solid as far my identity as a Trinbagonian is concerned.......I fully embrace and love my culture.......I do however feel a certain level of disconnect when I am back home......[/QUOTE]

Oh i now get what yuh really asking. At least you do realize it, many don't and feel like they are no different from someone living there..and I've heard many "locals" complain about how much that pisses them off...esp when expats want to act like they have all the answers to every problem in the country and will argue down someone who is living there.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Gladiator
    No sir..

Credits
    No I do not..... I just miss being in a location where I can find people and things I can identify with on a cultural level.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    [QUOTE=BacchanalDiva;3237111]
    Quote Originally Posted by Picong View Post
    no im solid as far my identity as a Trinbagonian is concerned.......I fully embrace and love my culture.......I do however feel a certain level of disconnect when I am back home......[/QUOTE]

Oh i now get what yuh really asking. At least you do realize it, many don't and feel like they are no different from someone living there..and I've heard many "locals" complain about how much that pisses them off...esp when expats want to act like they have all the answers to every problem in the country and will argue down someone who is living there.
    Its quite the opposite for me.......there generally isnt a conversation I cannot have and fully knowledgeable on as far as the going ons in TnT........as far as some of the locals feeling the expatriates having ALL the answers.....the reality is there are expatriates who have educated themselves to the point that they do have a lot of remedies to the problems in TnT..............some of us have better methods of solving some of the problems that they splurging money on foreign consultants who dont understand all of the dynamics of TnT........the disconnect I feel at home at times seems to be on a more grassroot and social interaction level........its mostly from my conditioning in the US these past few years I believe

LR Advertising LLC

Taj
    Credits
    [QUOTE=Picong;3238420]
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Its quite the opposite for me.......there generally isnt a conversation I cannot have and fully knowledgeable on as far as the going ons in TnT........as far as some of the locals feeling the expatriates having ALL the answers.....the reality is there are expatriates who have educated themselves to the point that they do have a lot of remedies to the problems in TnT..............some of us have better methods of solving some of the problems that they splurging money on foreign consultants who dont understand all of the dynamics of TnT........the disconnect I feel at home at times seems to be on a more grassroot and social interaction level........its mostly from my conditioning in the US these past few years I believe
    explain further
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    [QUOTE=Picong;3238420]
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    in other words you look at some of the things they do and wonder why the hell they so backwards? (no insult to the Trinis) I do that quite often. You see some behaviors that you used to engage in yourself and now when you go back you realize that the behaviour in question is kinda.....i dunno ridiculous?

Credits
    i am always struggling. im not sure if im trini, jamaican or a yankee. the jamaicans call me a yankee, the trinis call me a jamaican, the yankees call me a trini

Credits
    personally i dont...but when i am not in trini ppl always think i am bajan or jamaican, an i find myself being overly trini jus to mek sure ppl kno where i from...lol...
    Living like Peggy, plotting like Joan