Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you mind being (mistakenly) identified as 'African American'

Toppa_Toppa

Do you mind being (mistakenly) identified as 'African American'

or does it not bother you? Now before the idiots come out imagine if the question posed was 'Do Trinis like being (mistakenly) identified as 'Jamaican' or does it not bother you?

I wasn't really talking about what peole think when they see you...I was talking about what you're identified as in an official or formal sense. Would you say you're West Indian or would you shrug and say whatever if they wrote down African American on a document or something.
    Last edited by Toppa_Toppa; 01-03-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Gladiator
    I very rarely get mistaken as a jamaican..people who have met Trinbagonians in the past will immediately ask me if am from trinidad..others will ask me where I'm from and I will say Trinidad...For example one of my bosses ask me where I was from ..and after telling him I'm from trinidad he said "Trinidad and Tobago huh, I remember them from the World Cup"...

Down di road, ova di gully, pass di big tree
    Credits
    It does bother me. Sorry but african american isn't a social group I want to be categorized in. Not even Jamaican sometimes. People have too many erroneous misconceptions. My personally defies all stereotypes.
    Disclaimer:
    Many of you can't keep Jamaica outa yuh mouth. Its ok, we understand you can't help it. Envy is a helluva thing. But let it be known. If you've never been to mi yawd your comments about mi yawd shall hereby be stricken as nuttin but verbal defecation. Walk good.

Yes I am a superhero. Sarcasm is my superpower.

Gladiator
    ..another example my sister walks into an Indian restaurant ..one man could not recognise her accent so he ask her where she is from..she said Trinidad..their first response was "Brian Lara, Brian Lara !"..and engaged her in cricket conversations for the rest of the afternoon...mind you she dont shit bout cricket lol

Credits
    i prefer the term african american or afro barbadian than black. when i look at the colour black i am not that colour. i am brown so call me brown or afro bajan.

Gladiator
    and yeh without using much of my accent. I do sound African American so I would expect someone who dont know me to asssume I am african american..think i answered enough in here lol

Credits
    people think i am from DR or PR.. before i speak.. then after they think i'm american of some west indian background cept they cant say which one.. when i say trini then they say oh yes yes..
    Last edited by ladyrastafari; 01-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Anybody on the board talk in an American accent or close to it, often or in certain occasions..apart from LT?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    or does it not bother you? Now before the idiots come out imagine if the question posed was 'Do Trinis like being (mistakenly) identified as 'Jamaican' or does it not bother you?
    Nope

I DO NOT WHATSOEVER.

Credits
    I never got asked if i am an African America,but i have been asked numerous times if i am Jamaican just because my accent was indistinguishable.
    Made In Vincy
    ~As humans we are equal but when it comes to standards and morals and ethics, they set us apart~
    Adidja me love yo, cake soap and all..."all of ah sudden me fall in love wid u"

Links30
    Well i have been mistaken for a Jamaican before, like how insulting can that be yuh know? but its understandable that when yuh in the South, dem doe have much cultural exposure down there, other than that, ppl could always tell i was trini before anything else.

Spranga
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    ..another example my sister walks into an Indian restaurant ..one man could not recognise her accent so he ask her where she is from..she said Trinidad..their first response was "Brian Lara, Brian Lara !"..and engaged her in cricket conversations for the rest of the afternoon...mind you she dont shit bout cricket lol
    i'd be proud of that

Credits
    Somebody told me before I don't look Caribbean. LOL
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by skeng View Post
    Anybody on the board talk in an American accent or close to it, often or in certain occasions..apart from LT?
    It doesn't bother me if I get mistaken for AA, however it doesn't happen much. Most people from down here say I don't look like the average AA woman and then when I open my mouth they know I'm not from the south.

As for Skengs question, I kinda have some kind of American accent at work. They way I pronounce certain words they assume I'm from some northeastern state. If I speak to someone at length they may pick up on a caribbean accent but nobody ever know where I'm from.

I once met a Dominican at my old hotel and she thought I was Trini. I've met quite a few Jamaicans at work and they either think I'm Trini or Jamaican. I never get Dominican.... *shrugs*
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    for trinis i guess it would be like asking them if they from tobago.. ask any trinidadian that and see the look of shock and suprise that you would get.. and then the "i look like i frm tobago to you?" response..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast