Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do you care about the future of the "Black Community"

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    lots of black Canadians in Alberta. The underground railroad ran into this province as well.
    Alberta ? I didn't know that.

Which cities do most of them live in now? Only city in Alberta I've ever been in is Calgary and most blacks I met there were children of immigrants too.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    That is the million dollar question, everybody's rope length varies. The older I get, the shorter mine becomes. I talk a few times, if I find you getting vex and puffin up yuh face when I draw breath to speak...I wish you all the best and tell you go brave. Because I am not about to sacrifice my sanity in order to help you shift your thinking.

And dis is me right here. The older I get the more I step back and let ppl do them thing. You speak or say your peace where u can and u leave the rest to time and fate. Some ppl dont like hearing that but I wont take back chat.

That is why I sometimes say let the dead eat dem dead...its isnt that I want the worst for ppl - quite the opposite in reality - but to preserve your sanity, you have to let ppl be them until they feel something needs to change. ( Even if I think what u are doing is whack and outta orda I can at least see where me insisting u pull ur head out of ur ass is dictatorial.)
    Otherwise ur talking to the wind and possibly will get a tooth knocked out if u insist.lol
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent View Post
    One wish I have for the black community is to realize that basketball scholarships and signing to music labels is an exception and far from the rule. But I understand why some blacks don't see it as the exception. They look around and they don't see a lot of black doctors, we've never had a black prime minister, there is no real black business section in the city the way there is a Chinatown or a Greektown, but you see blacks all over the place in sports and music.

I hear you about attitude but environment can heavily influence attitude too. At the end of the day though, having a different attitude and mentality could do a lot for black Canadians and Americans in terms of progressing. No doubt about that. The problem comes from not acknowledging the struggles that these groups face because it makes freshwater Caribbeans look egotistical and out of touch.
    there are black doctors and lawyers and all that stuff, they simply choose to help from a distance lest they get sucked into the vortex that currently has a grip on the black community... a lot of people tend to not react well to people they percieve to hold a position over them.. they use the phrase " you feel that you better than me cos you got x, y, or z?".. rather than "hmm you have x, y, or z.. how did you get that.. let me in on that secret so maybe i can get that too or close to it".. two different ways of thinking.. there are two ways to get something from a store.. become an apprentice to the shopkeeper or rob the store and take it... the choice people make can determine a lot.... one way recognizes that the person who has what you want can impart different ways to you on how to get that coveted thing.. and you can learn from what he says and what he doesnt say.. the other way determines that what that person has is yours for the taking, whether that person likes it or not.. ..

the thing with a lot of people, especially the progressives, is that they feel that when some people need a helping hand, they seem to forget the one at the end of their own arm... in life , people will help you and humor you until they determine that you should do something about your situation.. like when u have that one friend who comes crying to you about the same thing over and over again, yeh the first twenty times you'll be sympathetic, might listen to another 20, then on the start of the next twenty y ou just pull no punches and say listen you need to get up off ya ass and do x, yz, the reality is that its this and you aint helping yourself.. .. they might not like to hear it.. and one of two things will happen.. one- they will get up and realize hey, you gotta do for yourself and try ya best, or they might just look for another enabler who will listen or keep comign to you to repeat the cycle.. eventually you cut them off if they dont want to get out of the situation.. cos in your mind you got your own shit to worry about.. as they say.. the sick are not interested in the illnesses of others..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent View Post
    Alberta ? I didn't know that.

Which cities do most of them live in now? Only city in Alberta I've ever been in is Calgary and most blacks I met there were children of immigrants too.
    I'd say in the last generation, maybe last two, they have been moving into the cities like Edmonton and Calgary. Before most were concentrated in their own enclaves like Amber Valley (all black) and a few other towns around the Athabasca region. When I was younger, if u went to many smaller towns u'd find nuff black ppl which would shock the hell out of me. lol They brought a lot of the farming techniques used in the province from where they originated from (mostly Louisiana)
    but truthfully, they keep to themselves over all.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    And dis is me right here. The older I get the more I step back and let ppl do them thing. You speak or say your peace where u can and u leave the rest to time and fate. Some ppl dont like hearing that but I wont take back chat.

That is why I sometimes say let the dead eat dem dead...its isnt that I want the worst for ppl - quite the opposite in reality - but to preserve your sanity, you have to let ppl be them until they feel something needs to change. ( Even if I think what u are doing is whack and outta orda I can at least see where me insisting u pull ur head out of ur ass is dictatorial.)
    Otherwise ur talking to the wind and possibly will get a tooth knocked out if u insist.lol
    Old saying never fails: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    the way tings going chinky.. you go lead that horse to de water and drown he skont yes.. so he wouldnt eat up de food and make tings rough for de rest of de horse and dem.. or lead him weh he go dead from thirst..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    the way tings going chinky.. you go lead that horse to de water and drown he skont yes.. so he wouldnt eat up de food and make tings rough for de rest of de horse and dem.. or lead him weh he go dead from thirst..
    I was just coming to say the drowning analogy but u need to take it to a next freakin level!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    or do you just think of yourself as an individual and do whatever you want?

My friend wanted to be a physician but her mentor told her that there are many black doctors and that she should get a PhD in science instead because there are not enough Black scientists. I did not agree with that decision because you are going to have to work in a field that you don't like every day.

I do, however, believe that Blacks (or even just West Indians) should do things to improve the next generations. We should have "cram schools" in Flatbush like the Chinese have in Chinatown. We should use birth control. It is well known that, for a poor person, having babies outside of marriage will keep you in continued poverty if you live in the US.

I think that we should strive for the highest education, the most qualifications, the strongest families, etc. We should use the least drugs, the least alcohol and commit the least crimes because of how much we have to work to get anywhere.

I remember being in school in the US after coming from Jamaica and the Black Americans asking me why I was taking the white classes (advanced and AP).

Not long ago I met a West Indian about 19yo (either TnT or JA- don't remember but it was one of these two) who just came and I asked what he is going to study and he said he just came "to live".

If people changed their mentality completely, I believe that we, as Caribbean people, could surpass the Asians as the most successful ethnic group- even despite racism.

What unnu tink?
    Why is it important for caribbean people to become a "model minority" in a foreign land rather than work towards building up the caribbean as a region. IMO the caribbean would be a bigger player on the world stage if they worked together and got over their silly ethnic pride. There is a major problem in the caribbean right now and it won't be solved by surpassing asians in the U.S.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyspice View Post
    Why is it important for caribbean people to become a "model minority" in a foreign land rather than work towards building up the caribbean as a region. IMO the caribbean would be a bigger player on the world stage if they worked together and got over their silly ethnic pride. There is a major problem in the caribbean right now and it won't be solved by surpassing asians in the U.S.
    That a Good Question

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyspice View Post
    The problem with building up the Caribbean as a region is that too many market forces are preventing development because we have the fxcking US on our doorstep. Caribbean agriculture was effectively destroyed by US trade policies and the IMF, and to those ends there isn't a huge demand for educated professionals in the region. We're too dependent on imported goods and commodities, so until the yankees decide to play fair our hands are tied.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    The problem with building up the Caribbean as a region is that too many market forces are preventing development because we have the fxcking US on our doorstep. Caribbean agriculture was effectively destroyed by US trade policies and the IMF, and to those ends there isn't a huge demand for educated professionals in the region. We're too dependent on imported goods and commodities, so until the yankees decide to play fair our hands are tied.
    BS

I don't buy it

Credits
    I'm not saying we should exclusively live amongst our own but we shouldn't be so quick to move out.

Part of the reason why black neighbourhoods are so poverty-stricken and ridden with crime is because blacks don't employ within their own community to the same extent others do. People stealing, shooting and dealing because they don't got jobs.

Indians, Chinese, Jews, Whites all put on their own people first, and you can more or less EXPECT any employer of a particular ethnicity to have several people of his own background on the payroll. The money cycles within their own community so you dont see them turning to crime as much.

The decline of black neighbourhoods has widely been attributed to the flight of the Black middle class...in the 1950's and 60's Black ghettos were synonymous with poverty but not crime and violence, but by the 80's that perception changed, in large part because the reality changed. Rather than building their own neighbourhoods up, the black middle class packed up and left. Harlem used to have entire blocks of professional black people, now the rehabilitation of many Black neighbourhoods in this country is being done by whites, and the problem with that is that they ain't doin it fi we, dem a do it fi demselves, and so dem nuh tek issue wid puttin black people out of dem homes fi mek profit.
    The problem is not blacks employing their own, the problem is blacks not owning enough so they are in a position to employ their own. With that being said, most black businesses do employ their own. Secondly, you can't attribute the flight of the black middle class to the decline of the black neighborhood. There were many factors that led to the decline of the black neighborhood. Loss of industry is one example. This happened in detroit when many of the auto makers moved their factories outside of the city limits leaving many blacks unemployed. The growing unemployment rate led to an increase in crime. The crime rate in black neighborhoods skyrocketed in the 1980's because of two things:CRACK and GUNS. So IMO the flight of the black middle class did not lead to the decline of the black neighborhood but rather the decline of the black neighbrohood led to the flight of the black middle class.
    sipospots likes this.

Credits
    I agree, but at the same time how much investment do you actually see by Black people in poor Black neighbourhoods? How many businesses in any given Black neighbouhood can you REALLY say are Black-owned, other than barbershops and hair salons?

And no, all Black people ain't from the hood but given that we are the descendants of slaves, in each and every one of our families we can look back and find a "hood" somewhere lol.

West Virginians don't have the same type of access to the same markets we do. You're not likely to find a big market for drug trafficking in the rural mountains of Appalachia it's just not practical. The same could be said for Blacks in rural areas as well...country n!ggas ain't really killing each other at the same pace as urban inner city blacks are simply because the same economic pressures and the same social pressures are not there.

It's easy to be a drug dealer in a city, and once you're in the business you can't exactly just up and quit, and aside from that once you're tasting big money you have almost no incentive to go school anyway.

Aside from that, you can't exactly expect someone who has strayed that far down the wrong path to right themselves on their own willpower alone. They need to be mentored and directed onto the right path for them to actually change their own lives. Everyone needs a source of direction.
    I finally agree with you!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CoilyKinks View Post
    You would think if an "entire group of people suffer from the same mentality" their fate would all be the same.

But that is far from the case. If there is any truth to your statement, apparently a number of AA peoples broke free from their mental chains.
    More than 20% of Trinidadians live below the poverty line and trinidad has one of the highest crime rates if not the highest in the caribbean. Why is that?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast