Thread: Do you believe in 'Animal Rights'?

Toppa_Toppa

Do you believe in 'Animal Rights'?

Do you dig the whole PETA vibe?

Do you believe that animals should be given a right to 'self-determination' and do you support this: "The Seattle-based Great Ape Project is campaigning for the United Nations to adopt a Declaration on Great Apes, which would see gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees and bonobos included in a "community of equals" with human beings, extending to them the protection of three basic interests: the right to life, the protection of individual liberty, and the prohibition of torture.[8] This is seen by an increasing number of animal rights lawyers as a first step toward granting rights to other animals.[9][10]"

Lastly, any vegans on here?

My views: I don't think animals should be mis-treated, but this Animal Rights thing is a big fukking joke.
    Last edited by Toppa_Toppa; 02-25-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post

Do you believe that animals should be given a right to 'self-determination' and do you support this: "The Seattle-based Great Ape Project is campaigning for the United Nations to adopt a Declaration on Great Apes, which would see gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees and bonobos included in a "community of equals" with human beings, extending to them the protection of three basic interests: the right to life, the protection of individual liberty, and the prohibition of torture.[8] This is seen by an increasing number of animal rights lawyers as a first step toward granting rights to other animals.[9][10]"

My views: I don't think animals should be mis-treated, but this Animal Rights thing is a big fukking joke.
    I feel the same
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

yup I believe certains rights rather protections should be afforded especially to animals such the one listed above as they shown that they display the characteristics of higher learning

Credits
    Is this a question from your class ?

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by liteskinboy View Post
    Is this a question from your class ?
    Nah, I was just doing some reading.

Credits

i dun know bout this community of equals stupidness. i kinda agree about the individual liberty part as far as capturing them and putting them in a zoo.. but then again that statement is very vague and can include alot of things in it, such as the outlawing of hunting some of the animals for food, which is a common practice in many countries, which i would be against.

Credits
    Nah, I was just doing some reading.
    oh I c

The over protection of animals is already out of control to me, and i don't see it becoming sane anytime soon.

Sane meaning it's natural that we should use animals at our advantage, which also means saving the ones that are endangered.

Toppa you planning to change all this ? would be nice to feel like animals are placed in their correct tier again, which is below us.

Credits
    I see animal rights as going hand in hand with both evidence of emotional and intellectual complexity of the animal and how much have we made the animal rely on us. Some domesticated animals can no longer live in the wild because we made it so. Then we are responsible for them to have at least a decent life before we go butchering them. We don't need to torture them before we use them.