Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do African Americans give other blacks

Links30

Talking Do African Americans give other blacks

Regardless of geographic location and cultural back ground a bad impression and a continuous stereotype of blacks in general a bad name through out the globe?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bago20 View Post
    Regardless of geographic location and cultural back ground a bad impression and a continuous stereotype of blacks in general a bad name through out the globe?
    No. The media portrayal of a certain sub group within AfroAmericana does.

Links30
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    No. The media portrayal of a certain sub group within AfroAmericana does.
    Ha! You know after i posted it, my mind now ran on that qoute.

So oto what will you say about B.E.T obviously a black channel that is geared to the entertainment of blacks, that when ever they show a movie or something it's usually negative, with its gun play and street gang warfare etc. Like those are the only kind of movies they can show. To be honest i hardly see anything uplifting or motivating on B.E.T.

The main point on what i am trying to address is that a black own entertainment channel, blacks usually have the opportunity to change their image and prove to the world that we are not an under the class system as a race, and B.E.T can at least host documentaries of African history. Because usually African History does be told by a White mans point of view. Which i will never accept. The opportunities are there but yet they still rather project negative gang time programming or other programming that has no sought of uplifted to the masses. Or some kind of show or something that can help blacks break out of this mental slavery that we still live in today.

I already sent an e-mail to the corporate office of B.E.T expressing my concerns because now a days if you really look at it no body is not into the hanging on the street corner wearing the same clothes for 3 days never washing your ass type of hustler or so call gangsta flex anymore. Its played out in my book. I see more n more brothers trading in those baggy ass jeans for a corporate style of dress. Is B.E.T out of touch or they are only focused on what makes money, just like the hip hop industry, little moral values but a huge bank account?
    Last edited by Links30; 12-17-2006 at 07:12 PM.

renegade
    It's not the media, it's the popular culture.
    People like rappers and actors.
    It's the same reason why chapelle gave up his show, he realised he was complicit in promoting the same stereotypes he liked to parody.

Credits
    Yeah, part of the problem is culture. We tend to glorify the dangerous, the sword fights, etc. But now culture has taken it a step farther.

Not only in the USA. Just think of the term posse used in Jamaica.

I think every one in the USA has played cowboys and indians, but not all adults have adopted such mentality of trying to embody those anti-heroes.

BET is no longer Black owned, by the way.

Links30
    Yeah, part of the problem is culture. We tend to glorify the dangerous, the sword fights, etc. But now culture has taken it a step farther.

I think every one in the USA has played cowboys and indians, but not all adults have adopted such mentality of trying to embody those anti-heroes.

Know wonder.

Chueepss, so the cycle continues.

m
    Credits
    Before the black owner sold it BET was already down the drain.

Now it's going to be even worse.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDawg View Post
    Before the black owner sold it BET was already down the drain.

Now it's going to be even worse.
    Yeah the trend had been set way before the change of ownership

m
    Credits
    Yeah the trend had been set way before the change of ownership
    Exactly.

So lets not blame the white man for what you see on there today.

DSP
    Credits

True, black people glorify the negative aspects of their culture and aspire to behave as such. All the mafia, mob, thug references are looked at as role models to immulate.

It's like white people glorifying and aspiring to be trailor trash and emphasizing the behavior associated with that as something to be proud of.

Credits
    Is B.E.T out of touch or they are only focused on what makes money, just like the hip hop industry, little moral values but a huge bank account?
    It's about money. There will always be art, music, movies,
    video games, fashion trends and a lot of lifestyle products
    that target young people who are at the stage of their life
    where they are rebelling against authority. There is a lot
    of money to be made by cable networks that can deliver
    the audience that the advertisers want.

Credits
    I only skimmed the responses so I may have missed it. I saw mention of pop culture and BET and network owners, but did we mention that we, the consumers, have the final say in how we're represented?

Credits
    white people have MTV.. and VH1 bevis and butthead is not what i would call educational.. the family was already under heavy fire before the arrival of BET

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    white people have MTV.. and VH1 bevis and butthead is not what i would call educational.. the family was already under heavy fire before the arrival of BET
    agreed...pop culture on the whole is giving we parents a run for our money. Not much of worth or content left.
    Ever saw the Nick.com channel? Mr. Meaty? A show with no saving grace..

All the sit coms, black or white. The parents are portrayed as total idiots, the children think school is a way to get 'hooked up', skip it, or skate through class. Smart children are portrayed as nerds with bottle thick glasses and the personality of doorknobs.

The celebs are half nakid, in and out of beds and marriages, the so-called reality shows are meat markets, rigged and ridiculous.

Books are now replaced by podcasts. The only well read book in the past 2 decades for children was J.K. Rowlings...

*sigh*

Credits
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSS..........They DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exhibit #1:
    COLIN POWELL>>>>Career Thug Gunslinger and LIAR for the White Ruling Class........Former Bush Family House Negro.

Exhibit #2:
    CONDOLOSER WHITE RICE>>>>>>>Secretary of MISTAKES
    Representing a MURDEROUS GANSTA Government on the World Stage.....

....Who's ONLY Claim to Fame is NOT TALKING as a Strategy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast