Thread: DNA Ethnicity Tests

Registered User blackamericanprincss's Avatar blackamericanprincss is offline
    Credits

DNA Ethnicity Tests

Has anybody actually done or know someone who has done one of these DNA tests that are supposed to turn up ethnicity/tribe/race? If so, was it an African geneology test or a racial one or...? I'd like to do something like that in the future. I know there was a thread in the Real Talk section kind of about this, but I couldn't find it...

There apparently was a special on PBS about African American celebrities tracing what part of Africa they had ancestry in. Chris Tucker turned up as having roots from Angola, Quincy Jones got Cameroon, T.D. Jakes got Nigeria, Oprah got Liberia, etc. Interesting stuff.
    http://1lny.webs.com

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by blackamericanprincss
    Has anybody actually done or know someone who has done one of these DNA tests that are supposed to turn up ethnicity/tribe/race? If so, was it an African geneology test or a racial one or...? I'd like to do something like that in the future. I know there was a thread in the Real Talk section kind of about this, but I couldn't find it...

There apparently was a special on PBS about African American celebrities tracing what part of Africa they had ancestry in. Chris Tucker turned up as having roots from Angola, Quincy Jones got Cameroon, T.D. Jakes got Nigeria, Oprah got Liberia, etc. Interesting stuff.
    yes indeed this was a good show...........It was on back in Jan and I would love to do one of them test but also it is very costly.

Credits

no
    but i found this documentary interesting to watch
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2757525.stm

many of them found European roots

Credits
    This test is really expensive...my professor read an article to us about this man who had the test done on his son. Its a caucasion family and we discussed the fathers motives for testing if his son had any other race mixed in....

Credits
    I wish they'd make a show like this for normal (non-rich) people in the US.
    Lol, instead of those paternity testing DNA programs, they can have ethnic ancestry DNA testing programs.

Credits
    Edit: Repost

Credits
    a class make had this done for her and her kids but she said the results from what she was told would take a few months so were all still waiting.
    Recognize The ORIGIONAL,
    There Can Be Only ONE!

Credits

You can't test Ethnicity with DNA. But you can test if you are related to other people who have taken the test and are of an ethnicity. It just shows if you are related to them. Not all people of that ethnicity will have the same markers. Same thing for geographical ancestry tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

Credits

did you aquire an Infiniti today?