Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc Jockeys

Credits

Thumbs up Disc Jockeys

How do you prepare for a performance/party Is there a specific music list you follow or do play based on crowd reaction? Do you stick to a particular genre when playing? I am asking these questions because I have notice some of the "big name DJ's" playing real shiit at some parties. Another question is there a need for 3-4 DJ's at a party or does that ruin your flow? Do you practice to master your art or just show up and spin? I have strangely enough found that the "small name" DJ'd perform at a much higher level. Maybe they more hungrier. Just an opinion and seeking positive answers.

Juksan Stabbs
    Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    How do you prepare for a performance/party Is there a specific music list you follow or do play based on crowd reaction? Do you stick to a particular genre when playing? I am asking these questions because I have notice some of the "big name DJ's" playing real shiit at some parties. Another question is there a need for 3-4 DJ's at a party or does that ruin your flow? Do you practice to master your art or just show up and spin? I have strangely enough found that the "small name" DJ'd perform at a much higher level. Maybe they more hungrier. Just an opinion and seeking positive answers.
    I play good music that's "safe" in terms of it's acceptance in soca parties but i like to try and throw out "feeler tracks" that are fete-worthy but not played as often an see how the crowd reacts to them. I also try an touch as many of the islands as possible. But dah is jus me doah!!

Credits
    If you dont practice you wont get better.. Some DJ's forget this golden rule..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Juksan Stabbs
    I play good music that's "safe" in terms of it's acceptance in soca parties but i like to try and throw out "feeler tracks" that are fete-worthy but not played as often an see how the crowd reacts to them. I also try an touch as many of the islands as possible. But dah is jus me doah!!
    Throwing out "feeler tracks" is fine and I would assume that a DJ would do this when the party is pumping

Juksan Stabbs
    Throwing out "feeler tracks" is fine and I would assume that a DJ would do this when the party is pumping
    You'd be surprised at how many DJ's don't play music unless someone else buss it first. Too afraid to go past track 5 on a Krosfyah cd yeh...lol.

Credits
    [QUOTE=Juksan Stabbs]You'd be surprised at how many DJ's don't play music unless someone else buss it first. Too afraid to go past track 5 on a Krosfyah cd yeh...lol.[/QUO

How many DJ's are listed to play at the venues where u play, and do u feel like you have enough time to put out your best performance

Credits

Dj sos here

I dont = S-it like other DJs
    Last edited by saveoursoca; 03-24-2005 at 07:54 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by saveoursoca
    I dont play S-it like other DJs
    could u expand on that please

Credits
    I would recommend dj's that play more than one party in a night...or those that feel dem too good to come to a fete aside from working to do the following:

If you don't know how the dj before you plays, come earlier. That eliminates playing the same songs over & over.

If there are 5 dj's in a party, please assume Jump, Togetherness, De jumbie & Take Dat & Cool It already played.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Juksan Stabbs

Doh use dat word safe brudda yuh might ketch a stone.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummacita
    I would recommend dj's that play more than one party in a night...or those that feel dem too good to come to a fete aside from working to do the following:

If you don't know how the dj before you plays, come earlier. That eliminates playing the same songs over & over.

If there are 5 dj's in a party, please assume Jump, Togetherness, De jumbie & Take Dat & Cool It already played.

quite frankly...
    if dem is de chunes dat get de crowd hype...
    why play dem only once???
    ah ent sayin play dem 3 times in a hour...
    but if a fete 4-6 hours an de chunes get play twice...
    whais de big deal???

Credits

A dj that plays from a list can never be successful after hearing you a few times people will know what you are going to play b4 u play it. and you have to be able to change on the fly depending on what the other dj's play.I think that 3 dj's is a good number to have in a fete.That was each dj can stick to one thing which in most parties would be soca reggae and hip hop.One genre for each DJ.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDY TRooKLyN
    quite frankly...
    if dem is de chunes dat get de crowd hype...
    why play dem only once???
    ah ent sayin play dem 3 times in a hour...
    but if a fete 4-6 hours an de chunes get play twice...
    whais de big deal???
    u mean to say jump & togetherness is only 2 tunes that can hype up a soca crowd? stupse...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummacita
    u mean to say jump & togetherness is only 2 tunes that can hype up a soca crowd? stupse...

*rereads post*
    nope...
    dat ent what ah say atall...
    ah say if it hype de crowd..
    why yuh should only play it once???

Credits
    some dj's today it seem like they just do it for the money and the 15 minutes of fame too....and its also the people in a dance sometimes they don't appreciate a nice tune they just wanna here the party anthems...so in order to keep them happy and on the dance floor they will tend to play the same song over and over...every dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast