Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Disc Jockeys

  1. #1
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436

    Thumbs up Disc Jockeys

    How do you prepare for a performance/party Is there a specific music list you follow or do play based on crowd reaction? Do you stick to a particular genre when playing? I am asking these questions because I have notice some of the "big name DJ's" playing real shiit at some parties. Another question is there a need for 3-4 DJ's at a party or does that ruin your flow? Do you practice to master your art or just show up and spin? I have strangely enough found that the "small name" DJ'd perform at a much higher level. Maybe they more hungrier. Just an opinion and seeking positive answers.

  2. #2
    Juksan Stabbs
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    How do you prepare for a performance/party Is there a specific music list you follow or do play based on crowd reaction? Do you stick to a particular genre when playing? I am asking these questions because I have notice some of the "big name DJ's" playing real shiit at some parties. Another question is there a need for 3-4 DJ's at a party or does that ruin your flow? Do you practice to master your art or just show up and spin? I have strangely enough found that the "small name" DJ'd perform at a much higher level. Maybe they more hungrier. Just an opinion and seeking positive answers.
    I play good music that's "safe" in terms of it's acceptance in soca parties but i like to try and throw out "feeler tracks" that are fete-worthy but not played as often an see how the crowd reacts to them. I also try an touch as many of the islands as possible. But dah is jus me doah!!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Jason kiDD's Avatar Jason kiDD is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Da Streets
    Posts
    42,527
    Credits
    7,664,113
    If you dont practice you wont get better.. Some DJ's forget this golden rule..

  4. #4
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Juksan Stabbs
    I play good music that's "safe" in terms of it's acceptance in soca parties but i like to try and throw out "feeler tracks" that are fete-worthy but not played as often an see how the crowd reacts to them. I also try an touch as many of the islands as possible. But dah is jus me doah!!
    Throwing out "feeler tracks" is fine and I would assume that a DJ would do this when the party is pumping

  5. #5
    Juksan Stabbs
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    Throwing out "feeler tracks" is fine and I would assume that a DJ would do this when the party is pumping
    You'd be surprised at how many DJ's don't play music unless someone else buss it first. Too afraid to go past track 5 on a Krosfyah cd yeh...lol.

  6. #6
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    [QUOTE=Juksan Stabbs]You'd be surprised at how many DJ's don't play music unless someone else buss it first. Too afraid to go past track 5 on a Krosfyah cd yeh...lol.[/QUO

    How many DJ's are listed to play at the venues where u play, and do u feel like you have enough time to put out your best performance

  7. #7
    Banned saveoursoca is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    flatbush
    Posts
    7,513
    Credits
    25,986

    Dj sos here

    I dont = S-it like other DJs
    Last edited by saveoursoca; 03-24-2005 at 07:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User iPicong's Avatar iPicong is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    JC/Brazil 2014
    Posts
    51,424
    Credits
    44,178,436
    Quote Originally Posted by saveoursoca
    I dont play S-it like other DJs
    could u expand on that please

  9. #9
    Rum Aficionado/Soca-holic Rummy's Avatar Rummy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    20,352
    Credits
    1,027,691
    I would recommend dj's that play more than one party in a night...or those that feel dem too good to come to a fete aside from working to do the following:

    If you don't know how the dj before you plays, come earlier. That eliminates playing the same songs over & over.

    If there are 5 dj's in a party, please assume Jump, Togetherness, De jumbie & Take Dat & Cool It already played.

  10. #10
    Born again peeper DJ Destro's Avatar DJ Destro is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    1,205
    Credits
    1,506,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Juksan Stabbs
    I play good music that's "safe" in terms of it's acceptance in soca parties but i like to try and throw out "feeler tracks" that are fete-worthy but not played as often an see how the crowd reacts to them. I also try an touch as many of the islands as possible. But dah is jus me doah!!

    Doh use dat word safe brudda yuh might ketch a stone.

  11. #11
    TRiNi TiL aH Die... LaDY TRooKLyN's Avatar LaDY TRooKLyN is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,432
    Credits
    1,007,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummacita
    I would recommend dj's that play more than one party in a night...or those that feel dem too good to come to a fete aside from working to do the following:

    If you don't know how the dj before you plays, come earlier. That eliminates playing the same songs over & over.

    If there are 5 dj's in a party, please assume Jump, Togetherness, De jumbie & Take Dat & Cool It already played.

    quite frankly...
    if dem is de chunes dat get de crowd hype...
    why play dem only once???
    ah ent sayin play dem 3 times in a hour...
    but if a fete 4-6 hours an de chunes get play twice...
    whais de big deal???

  12. #12
    Born again peeper DJ Destro's Avatar DJ Destro is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    1,205
    Credits
    1,506,735
    Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    How do you prepare for a performance/party Is there a specific music list you follow or do play based on crowd reaction? Do you stick to a particular genre when playing? I am asking these questions because I have notice some of the "big name DJ's" playing real shiit at some parties. Another question is there a need for 3-4 DJ's at a party or does that ruin your flow? Do you practice to master your art or just show up and spin? I have strangely enough found that the "small name" DJ'd perform at a much higher level. Maybe they more hungrier. Just an opinion and seeking positive answers.


    A dj that plays from a list can never be successful after hearing you a few times people will know what you are going to play b4 u play it. and you have to be able to change on the fly depending on what the other dj's play.I think that 3 dj's is a good number to have in a fete.That was each dj can stick to one thing which in most parties would be soca reggae and hip hop.One genre for each DJ.

  13. #13
    Rum Aficionado/Soca-holic Rummy's Avatar Rummy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    20,352
    Credits
    1,027,691
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDY TRooKLyN
    quite frankly...
    if dem is de chunes dat get de crowd hype...
    why play dem only once???
    ah ent sayin play dem 3 times in a hour...
    but if a fete 4-6 hours an de chunes get play twice...
    whais de big deal???
    u mean to say jump & togetherness is only 2 tunes that can hype up a soca crowd? stupse...

  14. #14
    TRiNi TiL aH Die... LaDY TRooKLyN's Avatar LaDY TRooKLyN is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,432
    Credits
    1,007,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Rummacita
    u mean to say jump & togetherness is only 2 tunes that can hype up a soca crowd? stupse...

    *rereads post*
    nope...
    dat ent what ah say atall...
    ah say if it hype de crowd..
    why yuh should only play it once???

  15. #15
    Registered User DJPRODIGYONE is offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    BROOKLYN
    Posts
    68
    Credits
    26
    some dj's today it seem like they just do it for the money and the 15 minutes of fame too....and its also the people in a dance sometimes they don't appreciate a nice tune they just wanna here the party anthems...so in order to keep them happy and on the dance floor they will tend to play the same song over and over...every dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •