Thread: dese ppl doan play when it comes to political controversy

elq
    Credits

dese ppl doan play when it comes to political controversy

DeLay indicted, will step aside as majority leader

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay's attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.
    "I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.
    GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.
    The charge carries a potential two-year sentence, which forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.
    "The defendants entered into an agreement with each other or with TRMPAC (Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee) to make a political contribution in violation of the Texas election code," says the four-page indictment. "The contribution was made directly to the Republican National Committee within 60 days of a general election."
    The indictment accused DeLay of a conspiracy to "knowingly make a political contribution" in violation of Texas law outlawing corporate contributions. It alleged that DeLay's Texans for a Republican Majority political action committee accepted $155,000 from companies, including Sears Roebuck, and placed the money in an account.
    The PAC then wrote a $190,000 check to an arm of the Republican National Committee and provided the committee a document with the names of Texas State House candidates and the amounts they were supposed to received in donations.

The indictment included a copy of the check.

Credits
    DeLay is a blasted crook and I'm not surprised. De next one on the list to look for is Bill Frist...Mr. Insider Trading himself...days before shares in HCA...the LARGEST hospital chain in the country (which his father and brother founded)...days before the shares dropped in value he contacted his broker and told him to dump the shares.

For those unfamiliar...this is illegal IF he did in fact have 'insider' information that tipped him off to the shares dropping in value and based on that then sold his stock in the company. This is the same thing that Martha Stewart got sent to jail for.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    DeLay is a blasted crook and I'm not surprised. De next one on the list to look for is Bill Frist...Mr. Insider Trading himself...days before shares in HCA...the LARGEST hospital chain in the country (which his father and brother founded)...days before the shares dropped in value he contacted his broker and told him to dump the shares.

For those unfamiliar...this is illegal IF he did in fact have 'insider' information that tipped him off to the shares dropping in value and based on that then sold his stock in the company. This is the same thing that Martha Stewart got sent to jail for.
    tell dem again! i'm waiting for his ass to be brought before a committee.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark

let's see if his broker did a better cover-up than martha stewart own did

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrini1
    let's see if his broker did a better cover-up than martha stewart own did
    Let's hope not