Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daiz Haiti?

Credits

Daiz Haiti?

?
    AIDS virus invaded U.S. from Haiti: study

By Will Dunham Mon Oct 29, 5:43 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The AIDS virus invaded the United States in about 1969 from Haiti, carried most likely by a single infected immigrant who set the stage for it to sweep the world in a tragic epidemic, scientists said on Monday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Worobey, a University of Arizona evolutionary biologist, said the 1969 U.S. entry date is earlier than some experts had believed.

The timeline laid out in the study led by Worobey indicates that HIV infections were occurring in the United States for roughly 12 years before AIDS was first recognized by scientists as a disease in 1981. Many people had died by that point.

"It is somehow chilling to know it was probably circulating for so long under our noses," Worobey said in a telephone interview.

The researchers conducted a genetic analysis of stored blood samples from early AIDS patients to determine when the human immunodeficiency virus first entered the United States.

They found that HIV was brought to Haiti by an infected person from central Africa in about 1966, which matches earlier estimates, and then came to the United States in about 1969.

The researchers think an unknown single infected Haitian immigrant arrived in a large city like Miami or New York, and the virus circulated for years -- first in the U.S. population and then to other nations.

It can take several years after infection for a person to develop AIDS, a disease that ravages the immune system.

DISEASE MULTIPLIES

"That one infection would have become two, and then it doubles again and the two becomes four," Worobey said. "So you have a period -- probably a fair number of years -- where you're dealing with probably fewer than a hundred people who are infected.

"And then, as with epidemic expansion, at some point the hundred becomes 200, you start getting into thousands, tens of thousands. And then quite rapidly you can be up into the hundreds of thousands of infections that were probably already there before AIDS was recognized in the early 1980s."

The study was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The path the virus traveled as it jumped from nation to nation has long been debated by scientists.

The University of Miami's Dr. Arthur Pitchenik, a co-author of the study, had seen Haitian immigrants in Miami as early as 1979 with a mystery illness that turned out to be AIDS. He knew the government long had stored some of their blood samples.

The researchers analyzed samples from five of these Haitian immigrants dating from 1982 and 1983. They also looked at genetic data from 117 more early AIDS patients from around the world.

This genetic analysis allowed the scientists to calibrate the molecular clock of the strain of HIV that has spread most widely, and calculated when it arrived first in Haiti from Africa and then in the United States.

The researchers virtually ruled out the possibility that HIV had come directly to the United States from Africa, setting a 99.8 percent probability that Haiti was the steppingstone.

"I think that it gives us more clear insight into the history of it (the AIDS epidemic) and what path the virus took -- and hard objective evidence, not just armchair thinking," Pitchenik said in a telephone interview.

Studies suggest the virus first entered the human population in about 1930 in central Africa, probably when people slaughtered infected chimpanzees for meat. AIDS has killed more than 25 million people and about 40 million others are infected with HIV.

Credits
    : intresting

Credits
    Here we go again.

Credits
    I doh believe dat foolishness at all...

Credits
    I believe, nothing good comes from those hatians - They even gave us wyclef to listen.

Credits
    I'd like to see more independent scientific research to back up their findings.
    The University of Miami's Dr. Arthur Pitchenik, a co-author of the study, had seen Haitian immigrants in Miami as early as 1979 with a mystery illness that turned out to be AIDS. He knew the government long had stored some of their blood samples.
    Because it probably started right here.
    "It is somehow chilling to know it was probably circulating for so long under our noses," Worobey said in a telephone interview.
    Blessed

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    Here we go again.
    for real trini trini. don't americans have anything else better to do.want there worry about there foregin troops in iraq. or worry about there stupid president bush.how he spending millions of tax money. on so called stupid war. that been started since 2003,still haven't find mas of destruction.

there complaining who started aids, and there are the powerful country in the world....still can't find the cure of the epidemic.if you act like a baller. then fit the description
    Last edited by haitianprince; 10-30-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits

Thumbs up

Researchers Suggest Haiti May Not Have Been the Birthplace of HIV

Article Date: 10/30/2007

By Bryan Ochalla

A new study suggests Haiti may not have been the birthplace of HIV and AIDS after all.

Until recently, reseachers have suggested the Caribbean island may have been the source of the illness, thanks to the unusually high prevalence of the disease among Haitian immigrants. Another popular theory holds that AIDS spread throughout the U.S. in the 1970's after the island became a popular destination for sex tourists.

The new study, the results of which appeared this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggests those theories may be incorrect.

According to a group of scientists led by Michael Worobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona, Tucson, HIV may have traveled from Africa to Haiti before spreading to the United States and much of the rest of the world.

Based on an analysis of tissue samples from five Haitian AIDS patients collected in 1982 and 1983 and other statistical techniques, the researchers estimate the virus left the African continent in the 1960's when a wave of Haitian professionals returned home from Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of the Congo).

The results of the study have piqued the interest of other scientists in the field, though many suggest more research needs to be done before the most recent findings can be declared fact.

"The paper is a nice piece of evolutionary sleuthing,' Beatrice Hahn, a microbiologist at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, told National Geographic. "It shows how chance events can shape a major epidemic and that one virus introduced under the right circumstances can create major havoc."

Added Robert Garry, a microbiologist at Tulane University: "It is possible that HIV made many incursions into the United States. Most of these likely never spread or spread cryptically for a while and burned out. The one discussed in this paper appears to have been the bomb that actually went off."

That analogy is one that even Worobey seems to agree with. "It is like a forest fire, it often produces sparks that fly out in front of a fire,” he told National Geographic. “Some of those sparks... die out. But every once in a while one of those sparks... can start a new wildfire. And that is what we are seeing in this case."
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by haitianprince View Post
    for real trini trini. don't americans have anything else better to do.want there worry about there foregin troops in iraq. or worry about there stupid president bush.how he spending millions of tax money. on so called stupid war. that been started since 2003,still haven't find mas of destruction.

there complaining who started aids, and there are the powerful country in the world....still can't find the cure of the epidemic.if you act like a baller. then fit the description
    This response gets 2 thumbs down.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chie View Post
    AID are all around the world . everywhere. and that doesnt matter much where it came from. you know well.

stop dj.
    you are not my mother
    dont tell me what to do or post

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teumessian Fox View Post
    This response gets 2 thumbs down.
    i wouldn't care less,you're not haitian. this thread doesn't invloves you.

so keep it moving........................

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by haitianprince View Post
    i wouldn't care less,you're not haitian. this thread doesn't invloves you.

so keep it moving........................
    Man, your post had nothing to do with haitians. lol

ank
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    you are not my mother
    dont tell me what to do or post

sorry again.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Teumessian Fox View Post
    Man, your post had nothing to do with haitians. lol
    are you looking for attention

read the thread forum, it's say DAIZ HAITI

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chie View Post
    sorry again.
    Oh man, you f*cked up, chi. DJ is extremely mad at you now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast