Like Tree15Likes

Thread: D.C.'s Caribbean Parade Cancelled

Credits

Unhappy D.C.'s Caribbean Parade Cancelled

Parade’s Off: Caribbean Day Short on Cash, Forced to Cancel

Photo by Matt Dunn

Posted by Lydia DePillis on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Farewell, fun.

Brace yourself, Caribbean Parade lovers: Last year's was probably the last. Or at least the beginning of a hiatus.

The event's president, Roland Barnes, told the Georgia Avenue Community Development Task Force this evening that the challenges of debt from previous years, lack of support from the city, and the pall cast by last year's shootings had proven too great to overcome.

"Unless someone is able to wave a magic wand in the next 24 hours, there will be no parade on Georgia Avenue," Barnes said mournfully. "The reality of the last few years was that donations and sponsorships were in one direction, and costs were in another direction."

The parade is still about $200,000 in debt to the city, Barnes said, and would need at least that much again in order to put on the parade, which had been scheduled for June 23 and 24. While previous mayors have done what it took to make the event happen, this administration isn't interested.

"We have seen a 180-degree turn in terms of support for this event," added the event's executive director, Loughton Sargeant. "It was only a matter of time before the city was going to pull the plug."

The news comes after the release of a study by the Howard University School of Business quantifying the Festival and Parade's impact on local businesses. Researchers estimated last year's attendance at 400,000 attendees—which seems high—and figured they spent $21,637,166 total, generating $1,298,230 in sales taxes. Needless to say, every single one of the 50 businesses surveyed was in favor of continuing the parade, and even extending its route (it had to be cut short on account of finances last year).

Folks in attendance at the meeting were none too pleased at the news, and suggested that Barnes hadn't tried hard enough to raise the necessary funds. Stacey Lincoln, a special assistant to Councilmember Vincent Orange, reminded him that the mayor had just allocated $240,000 in the budget for a flashy Emancipation Day parade next Monday. Roger Neely, a local real estate broker, suggested they hit up the area's big developers—he figured he could raise $100,000 between Chris Donatelli and Doug Jemal.

Barnes listened, but didn't look optimistic that this thing could be saved. "It's somewhat disheartening to see it fold," he said. "It's a learning experience for us."

UPDATE, Tuesday, 6:03 p.m. - Organizers say they may have found a way to save the Festival—by moving it somewhere else.
    Corrupt file likes this.
    Strum has a Grizzly Bear Rug in his living room.

It's not dead however...It's just SCARED TO MOVE.

Credits
    @ the picture they decided to use.

Credits
    Yo she's wearing a "barbie" chain and has two guns tattooed on her stomach....how focking ignorant is the editor of that site? Fock nah man.
    ladyrastafari and triniameri like this.

Credits
    but what happened with Sekou Flex talking about that type of thing not happening, and that it was just a rumor.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLord Strum View Post
    @ the picture they decided to use.
    lord...that pic is the worst

but im not surprised..its no sercret the new Mayor...Vince Grey isnt a fan of the parade.. one of dem high yella privilaged black folk that cares not of the culture of others..lol..Once he is out of office, i feel dc carnival and parade will make a comeback..

too bad tho
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post

but im not surprised..its no sercret the new Mayor...Vince Grey isnt a fan of the parade.. one of dem high yella privilaged black folk that cares not of the culture of others..lol..Once he is out of office, i feel dc carnival and parade will make a comeback..

too bad tho

He stated it last year that it was just for a small community, and that it wasn't a big deal. Let that shit happen to Columbia Heights/Adams Morgan, and he would be all on their side trying to work things out.
    triniameri likes this.

Credits

too bad tho
    Wow...so an African American who doesn't care about the culture of others. Why am i not surprised.

Taj
    Credits
    i en read the article but good move

yuh cyar be owing money and cyar answer for shortfalls.

Consequences to everything.

I'm sure the promoters of the fringe events will still make a killing.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLord Strum View Post
    Wow...so an African American who doesn't care about the culture of others. Why am i not surprised.
    ..interesting cuz the history of DC ..we have always had African American Mayors...and yet, the parade and carnival was a big deal..you take the WHITEST of all AA mayors to tear dat thing down...so it go, so it go!!
    mz_JazE likes this.

Credits
    hearing it was cancelled is disappointing
    seeing that picture and hearing its cancelled doubles the blow..
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    i en read the article but good move

yuh cyar be owing money and cyar answer for shortfalls.

Consequences to everything.

I'm sure the promoters of the fringe events will still make a killing.
    Yup.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post

He stated it last year that it was just for a small community, and that it wasn't a big deal. Let that shit happen to Columbia Heights/Adams Morgan, and he would be all on their side trying to work things out.
    he an @ss...if vincent orange had won the election..den the story would be diff...Grey is like a S. P. Kelly revisit.

and how bout Fenty? maybe the board wouldnt be in so much debt if they aint had to pay the mayor to make appearences..IJS

but maybe its for the best..maybe they need a rest to come back strong next year..

Credits
    but what happened with Sekou Flex talking about that type of thing not happening, and that it was just a rumor.

you see dat too? lol

i guess there will be no shootings on Georgia Ave this year.. but dang, they really had to use the pics with the guns on the stomach tattoo chick?? they really painting it in a negative light.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    he an @ss...if vincent orange had won the election..den the story would be diff...Grey is like a S. P. Kelly revisit.

and how bout Fenty? maybe the board wouldnt be in so much debt if they aint had to pay the mayor to make appearences..IJS

but maybe its for the best..maybe they need a rest to come back strong next year..
    He's one of those Golden Coast type of fellas that wants to keep that uppity negro thing happening. I agree that it's for the best. Build up the hype for next year, and at the same time get your finances in order. I guess I'll be going to Bmore carnival this year. At least I know I'll be able to play mud with my Morgan fam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i guess there will be no shootings on Georgia Ave this year.. but dang, they really had to use the pics with the guns on the stomach tattoo chick?? they really painting it in a negative light.
    shoot it's those type of folks that have been coming for the past 3 years. last year I was just beyond pissed because I eventually wanted my daughter to actually experience DC Carnival.

Credits
    Sorry but on my last two visits i spent more time with my SO at the barbecue festival downtown on the same day and i'll probably do the same again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast