Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise stop: Haiti

LB
    Credits

Cruise stop: Haiti

so one of the cruise stops will be Labedee Haiti this december.

feeling really conflicted about going since Labedee is "owned" by the cruise company and you are not allowed to leave the compound and visit other parts of Haiti.

Given all that Haiti is struggling with right now, you feel its in poor taste to have cruise folks on the island when they dont even contribute to the economy?
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post

feeling really conflicted about going since Labedee is "owned" by the cruise company and you are not allowed to leave the compound and visit other parts of Haiti.

Given all that Haiti is struggling with right now, you feel its in poor taste to have cruise folks on the island when they dont even contribute to the economy?
    Good and bad. Good possibly for safety reasons that you can't leave their compound. Certainly bad if the stop off has no positive economic impact on Haiti.

LB
    Credits
    yeah, I am scratching my head with this one.

Credits
    Ill be on the same cruise!!

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason kiDD View Post
    Ill be on the same cruise!!
    what month are you going?!

did u see the special they had on the Discovery channel 2 nights ago on the Oasis of the Seas?

that thing is insanely big.....big enough that I dont have worry about running into you if u on it the same time

Credits

Sounds like a Prison Boat

Credits
    Same month as you!!

CocoErotika

it was always a cruise stop and I assume "owned" by the cruise company. Haiti has always been struggling. it's only now people are giving this any thought because of personal guilt

how many other places are cruise stops only and would not see a dime if people didnt take the cruise

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoErotika View Post
    it was always a cruise stop and I assume "owned" by the cruise company. Haiti has always been struggling. it's only now people are giving this any thought because of personal guilt

how many other places are cruise stops only and would not see a dime if people didnt take the cruise
    The difference is that in other islands and in other countries, the passengers are allowed to roam quite freely about the place, and the local businessmen all have a chance to make money selling their goods, taking tourists on tours around the island, etc. In fact, one of my father's old teachers quit teaching in St Kitts and just drives cruise ship tourists around, and he makes a very good living doing that.

On the contrary, in Labadee the tourists ain't allowed to do that. The stop is just a beach, with a handfull of vendors allowed to sell their wares there, and the whole place is completely fenced off from the Haitian public. The tourists are allowed to do business with whomever Royal Caribbean allows them to, and the money stays in their hands. Local businesses don't benefit, and the people stay poor.

CocoErotika
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    The difference is that in other islands and in other countries, the passengers are allowed to roam quite freely about the place, and the local businessmen all have a chance to make money selling their goods, taking tourists on tours around the island, etc. In fact, one of my father's old teachers quit teaching in St Kitts and just drives cruise ship tourists around, and he makes a very good living doing that.

On the contrary, in Labadee the tourists ain't allowed to do that. The stop is just a beach, with a handfull of vendors allowed to sell their wares there, and the whole place is completely fenced off from the Haitian public. The tourists are allowed to do business with whomever Royal Caribbean allows them to, and the money stays in their hands. Local businesses don't benefit, and the people stay poor.
    same with Half moon cay in the bahamas and other cayes off of certain island. disney cruise line have castaway caye many cruise line have beach stops.

LB
    Credits
    that's my point. All the other stops I can pick and choose my taxi driver and where I want to go. Labedee you cannot.

Besides, I raise the question because I specifically dont stay at All-Inclusives anywhere b/c I dont believe in them for economic reasons. You cant always do as you believe but I do try to stay at locally owned hotels and if I cant then at least one where I can move up and down as I please.

We own proprerty that sits right next to a Sandals resort and their practices make my skin crawl.

Labedee is in fact owned by the cruise line. There is no dispute in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post

CocoErotika
    that's my point. All the other stops I can pick and choose my taxi driver and where I want to go. Labedee you cannot.

Besides, I raise the question because I specifically dont stay at All-Inclusives anywhere b/c I dont believe in them for economic reasons. You cant always do as you believe but I do try to stay at locally owned hotels and if I cant then at least one where I can move up and down as I please.

We own proprerty that sits right next to a Sandals resort and their practices make my skin crawl.

Labedee is in fact owned by the cruise line. There is no dispute in that.
    *sighs*

Cruise Lines Private Islands: Exclusive Beach Experiences on a Bahamas or Caribbean Cruise
    Last edited by CocoErotika; 08-10-2010 at 08:03 PM.

LB
    Credits
    And Royal Caribbean themselves say it is owned and operated by them. So if they are willing to use it as a marketing tool then what is what. I can post 2 other articles saying the above isnt accurate. oh well.

bottom line is it is an AI structure and the Haitian govt gets maybe 30K per week from their docking and no trickle down to the local economy in any way shape or form.

CocoErotika
    And Royal Caribbean themselves say it is owned and operated by them. So if they are willing to use it as a marketing tool then what is what. I can post 2 other articles saying the above isnt accurate. oh well.

bottom line is it is an AI structure and the Haitian govt gets maybe 30K per week from their docking and no trickle down to the local economy in any way shape or form.
    and what I am saying is that is the case for many other cruise locations. you only making a big deal because you NOW feel guilty about Haiti's long time situation when that port of call has been there BEFORE you was studying Haiti.

why the outcry NOW? does the resort employ haitians? are the actvities not Haitian owned business. beach stops on cruise lines have flea markets to puchase souvenirs, etc. Is that not considered local economy to you?
    Last edited by CocoErotika; 08-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoErotika View Post
    and what I am saying is that is the case for many other cruise locations. you only making a big deal because you NOW feel guilty about Haiti's long time situation when that port of call has been there BEFORE you was studying Haiti.

why the outcry NOW?
    what? you making all kinds of assumptions instead of asking.

I never have taken a cruise or even wanted to do one in general, so it is a question I pose now. If it wasnt for my family wanting a reunion thing, my butt wouldnt even be on the ship. period.

so since this is my first time looking at even being on the boat, its a valid thought on my part.

when other ppl do it that is for them business and I would never tell anyone not to take a cruise. But now its me going so that a different matter if I choose to contemplate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast