Thread: COVER DRIVE to the boundary.

dev
    Credits

COVER DRIVE to the boundary.

While others sit and moan about who started SOCA and which ISLAND is the best, some are just doing it on the international stage-BAJAN STYLE.

YET ANOTHER BARBADIAN name is dominating international music charts.

It’s pop quartet CoverDrive, which went to No.1 on the British singles charts Sunday with its track Twilight, which was only released last week.

The meteoric Twilight, confirmed as having jumped from No.84 to No.1 in a matter of days by Britain’s Official Charts Company, removed last week’s top-selling Brit singer/songwriter Jessie J.

It marks an amazing feat for the group which signed a publishing deal with Sony and a recording deal with Geffen less than a year ago.

“I’m still trying to process this,” drummer T. Ray Armstrong Jr told the DAILY NATION in a telephone interview from London. “It is absolutely incredible. Last year, I was in a basement doing covers, now we’re on top of the official British charts.”

His mother and manager of the group, Kerrie Armstrong, said she always believed in the project but didn’t think it would make an impact so quickly.

“I was preparing for more hard work because that’s the nature of the business, but Twilight seems to be just the right song at the right time. It’s grey in London right now but the song makes listeners feel as if they’re on a beach in Barbados,” an elated Kerrie added.

The group, ranging from age 18 to 23, comprises lead singer and lone female Amanda Reifer, drummer “T-Ray”, guitarist Barry “Bar Man” Hill and bassist Jamar Harding, who all started by rehearsing in the Armstrongs’ basement before shopping their music on YouTube.

Within two months, they were getting responses from international labels.

“It has all paid off,” Amanda told the DAILY NATION yesterday. “We’re so excited, so elated . . . there’s not one word that can describe our feelings right now.”

She added that since headlining the Rihanna concert here in August, another single, Lick Ya Down, reached No. 9 on the British charts and led to a United Kingdom tour with rapper Dappy in December.

“We released the video for Twilight around that time [December], and realized that people knew the words and were singing along even though it wasn’t on radio yet,” Reifer recalled.

“On January 22, the song went on sale and literally flew up the charts from 84 to 29, then quickly from seven right up to No. 2. It was also No. 1 on iTunes for five days competing with big names like Jesse J. So many stations have A-listed it! We were sitting in the BBC room and . . . when it was announced as No. 1, it was really emotional. We had gone through so much, from people not believing in us . . . .”

The next move for CoverDrive, which is influenced by the music of No Doubt, Blackeyed Peas, Rihanna and Bruno Mars, is to shoot a video for their third single next week in New York, then release their 12-track album, Bajan Style.

“[It’s] a culmination of ten months of nonstop writing of over 100 songs,” said Reifer.

Calling the group young ambassadors for Barbados, Kerrie said they not only talked to the fans about their homeland but were “like a whole new face for Barbados, a young, hip, cool face”.

Kerrie and her husband Ray, who travel alternately as managers, said they both foresaw “T-Ray”, the eldest of their three children, moving on from The St Michael School to Barbados Community College and then university, but they have allowed him to live out his own dream.
    "What kind of mirror image do you have of yourself?"

"TAWK YUH TAWK, DOAN BODDER ME. TAWK DOAN BUY GROCERIES."

Credits
    I could've told VP that Cover Drive would get to no. 1 before Marlon Roudette...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

dev
    Credits

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by riley escobar View Post
    i could've told vp that cover drive would get to no. 1 before marlon roudette...
    man,doan mash up he toes.

3 years ago, i predicted that talent will be pouring out of the caribbean and will surprise a lot of people..

next up--thread of scarlet and fighting traffic.

Gwannn trap 3

Credits
    niceness
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    man,doan mash up he toes.

3 years ago, i predicted that talent will be pouring out of the caribbean and will surprise a lot of people..

next up--thread of scarlet and fighting traffic.

Gwannn trap 3
    Man, I can't mash up his toes... It's harder than a brick wall... I'll hurt my foot stepping on it...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

dev
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ipicong View Post
    niceness
    keep yuh eyes off amanda--she's too young for yuh rotten teet self.

Credits
    I post pics from this video shoot last month. Miami girls are SWEET

Florida Laundromat better than Bklyn

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    keep yuh eyes off amanda--she's too young for yuh rotten teet self.
    until yuh say dat i eh even watch d video......hope she is a few levels above that cross rihanna

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by iPicong View Post
    until yuh say dat i eh even watch d video......hope she is a few levels above that cross rihanna
    De gyal over 19 an ready to bull

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    De gyal over 19 an ready to bull
    ah go have tuh start calling you shameless

LR Advertising LLC