Thread: On The Corner - Is Tempo bad for the Caribbean?

Credits

On The Corner - Is Tempo bad for the Caribbean?

On The Corner - Is Tempo bad for the Caribbean?

By Vernlyn Zakers

The Tempo channel is under attack.

A group of citizens, led by Hazel Ross-Robinson, is seeking to have the channel removed.

According to Robinson, the Tempo threatens the culture of the Caribbean.

“I feel that Tempo is BET packaged as a Caribbean product. It portrays many negative stereotypes of black Caribbean people and culture. We are reflected in the media as a society with over-developed bodies and under-developed senses of morality and self regard,” Robinson said. “Tempo is sending a revolting message to potential visitors and investors alike about who we are, and as such we will attract the wrong type of visitors. ‘Flesh tourism’ is not sustainable tourism.”

How do you feel about the issues? Is Tempo bad for the Caribbean?

Here is what a number of people had to say about Robinson’s efforts to remove Tempo from The Cable’s programming.

Poonam Manroop, Central Street — I don’t think that they should remove Tempo from The Cable programming. Tempo is a channel that deals with culture. It basically exposes the different cultures of the Caribbean islands to the rest of the world. I remember that some time ago I watched Trinidad's carnival, which I was not familiar with. Through Tempo I have learnt a lot about the Caribbean. I mostly enjoy watching and listening to the different types of music that they play. Tempo gives you a mixture of everything. They should not remove Tempo.

Sheila Brown, Newton Ground — I will be very disappointed if Tempo was removed from The Cable programming. Tempo does not motivate or encourage violent behavior, and to me it is much better than BET. Tempo is all about the Caribbean. Tempo is about us as a people.

Romeo Parris, Pharmacist — Tempo provides a platform for the Caribbean music. If Tempo is going to be removed, then BET should be removed too. Tempo programming needs some improvements, however I feel these improvements will come with time. For example right now I am just seeing Latin-American, Jamaican, Trini and Bajan artists —we need to see more artists from the smaller islands. Overall Tempo is a platform for the Caribbean and should not be taken off.

Jason Inanga, Fed Ex — Tempo is not a channel that you will find me watching. If the issue is morality, which I have picked up on, then I think we need to address the channels that are a lot worse than Tempo. Personally, I do not see anything wrong with Tempo. It deals with the Caribbean culture, but if this issue is about morality, there are stations that are a lot worse than Tempo.

Warren Bradshaw, Saddlers Village — I think Tempo is a good move because it helps to uplift the Caribbean islands. It also exposes the culture of the Caribbean to a world-wide audience. A lot of people are talking about Tempo being bad, but I don't find Tempo to be bad. Tempo is a Caribbean ‘thing’ and is something that needs to be improved on. Residents of the Federation are seeking to see local things — they want to see St. Kitts people performing and not just Jamaicans and people from the Windward Islands. They want to see people from St. Kitts.

Samantha Allen, Hostess —Tempo should not be removed, because it deals with Caribbean culture. The network places the spotlight on Caribbean people. Tempo has just started so we cannot expect everything one time, but I think as time progresses the network will get better in how it presents the culture of the Caribbean. I also think that if Tempo is going to be removed, BET should be removed also. It is all about choice. You don't have to watch Tempo if you don't want to, therefore people have to stop making it seems as if it is a must to watch Tempo.

Credits
    What's the source?

Credits
    Isn't Tempo a MTV channel?

Credits
    While in SKN all i did was watch Tempo...I doan see what the issue is..they show live concerts, highlights on different islands, they show more R&B videos than I would care to see buh overall ..can't what there is not to like. If they talking bout the Jamaican videos and soca ones...sorry, but I find de gyals have on more clothing than what goin' on on BET.

@Princess: yes, Tempo is MTV buh BET is also owned by them and I guess they are referenced b/c they like Tempo is programming geared toward black people.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    What's the source?
    It's probably the St. Kitts Sun Newspaper. I will check and see.

Credits
    [QUOTE=LolaMs]While in SKN all i did was watch Tempo...I doan see what the issue is..they show live concerts, highlights on different islands, they show more R&B videos than I would care to see buh overall ..can't what there is not to like. If they talking bout the Jamaican videos and soca ones...sorry, but I find de gyals have on more clothing than what goin' on on BET.

@Princess: yes, Tempo is MTV buh BET is also owned by them and I guess they are referenced b/c they like Tempo is programming geared toward black people.[/QUOTE]

BET doesn't owned them but they are all owned by Viacom.

joon-yah
    does tempo play kompa and zouk?
    and what areas have access to it?

Credits
    [QUOTE=Chun Li]
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMs
    While in SKN all i did was watch Tempo...I doan see what the issue is..they show live concerts, highlights on different islands, they show more R&B videos than I would care to see buh overall ..can't what there is not to like. If they talking bout the Jamaican videos and soca ones...sorry, but I find de gyals have on more clothing than what goin' on on BET.

@Princess: yes, Tempo is MTV buh BET is also owned by them and I guess they are referenced b/c they like Tempo is programming geared toward black people.[/QUOTE]

BET doesn't owned them but they are all owned by Viacom.
    yes, that what I meant, same parent company sorry for any confusion

Credits
    The people that are complaining here are probably people that just like to complain in general....and should be ignored.

I agree with the opinions of the folks questioned, that Tempo is definitely good for the Caribbean. I'm glad that I'm back in the islands to see this channel, because it's shaping up to be a real good channel. When I was living in de states I was dieing to see our culture on tv, and would get excited anytime I would see a lil thing on BET or maybe even deh Travel channel.

Trust me folks when Tempo hits deh states you all are gonna love it and want to watch it 24/7. They've been adding newer videos and have reduced the amount of hip hop/rnb that they were initially playin. Artists all over the Caribbean are now looking into videos cause they see the difference it can make in terms of notoriety, and promoters hollerin at them.

They've been slowly moving throughout the islands, and educating the public about the different islands in terms of culture, music, products, etc. They're goin on de streets, in the local restaurants, fetes. I like that they're showing the islands from an island point of view, and not really deh tourist ting. Tempo is definitely a good thing for the Caribbean, I really like what they doin.

Credits

here is the source bake n shake

http://sknvibes.com/Entertainment/Ne...z=%23%23Q75%0A

(Basseterre, St. Kitts) MTV Caribbean TEMPO television station is said to be promoting a totally different aspect of what our Caribbean culture truly is. A number of people are presently petitioning for the station to be taken off the air including Hazel Ross-Robinson, a consultant to the Ministry of National Security.

"This undermines the moral fabric of our society and erodes the Christian dimension of Caribbean life," she said. "The television has tremendous power and TEMPO will cause our young people to gravitate towards what TEMPO promotes. While young people are watching TEMPO for the music, the material is steadily shaping their young minds."

Matthew McGuire a constable of the Basseterre Police Station stated in a release combined by Ross-Robinson said that he would applaud any television that promotes the Caribbean.

"However, I believe that the material presented on TEMPO depicts a culture of excessive sexuality and near-nudity," he said.

Brian Fraser a 26-year-old said, "TEMPO does not give a true or fair representation of Caribbean people and culture. There is more to Caribbean people than gyrating waistlines and next-to-nothing costumes. We are a decent, proud, honorable, creative and talented people."

Doris Isles, a former high school guidance counselor in the federation, said, "We have fought too long and too hard - to reach the position we now occupy - to look at the worst aspects of our behavior and say "This is our culture."

While the reigning calypso monarch Konris Maynard warns, "We must remember that what we watch and absorb is what we ultimately become. The question is, do we, as a society, want our children to become what they see on the various media outlets?"

TEMPO states that their aims are to promote Caribbean culture and represent the best of our values, norms and artifacts since culture is the totality of products of a people's creativity and innovation.

Television viewers of Caribbean culture should appreciate the rich variety of the region's language, history, geography, politics, inventions, architecture, performers, cuisine, sculpture, etc.

Such variety is the blend of African, Indian, Chinese, European and Amerindian cultures. Caribbean culture should and is more than "a feeling" and deeper than the flesh; it is spiritual, social, historical, political and sensual.

While some people feel TEMPO should be off their air others disagree.
    Toni Frederick of WINN FN stated in a release in The Democrat Newspaper that although she is concerned about the image of the Caribbean and what we are selling, banning TEMPO from local television will not solve the problem.

Speaking as an individual and not representing her work institution she said it will continue to be aired regionally and internationally.

'I also believe that were predominantly a hedonistic overly sexual society before TEMPO and banning is not going to change that," she said.

Frederick said that it's not TEMPO making us this way but other ways of lives which we have adapted or grown up into. For example, certain songs that release around carnival time suggestively singing about what position a woman puts her body in, and how and where and what she should choose to rub up against.

The Carnival Grand Parade Troupes and certain photos from the parade that were selective to go on the website and also the way how we dress our young girls.

"It's not TEMPO that's making us this way, this is apart of who we are and it's not just a carnival thing, got to any nightclub, or party fete, band clash, beach picnic, or boat ride year-round. This is what you see," she stated.

Recording Reggae Artist Masud Sadiki of St. Kitts who performed on the launching concert of TEMPO in Nevis in October 2005 said that he and others were promised international exposure.

"The turn out was massive and the crowd was the liveliest," he said. "Four St. Kitts and Nevis artists including myself performed on that show without payment, we were promised international exposure in exchange, which on our part was a good move."

He continued: "However, I am very disappointed with certain aspects of its programming, case in point, the Nevis leg of the concert. The series in my view was the best concert, as I have seen clips of all the concerts. I have seen performances from all the foreign acts that performed on the Nevis show and to date have not seen even two seconds of performance from any of the four local acts."

Sadiki said that it is an insult to the people of St. Kitts and Nevis.

"Oh some of us were featured in some of the TEMPO promo clips and that's nice, we appreciate it," he said. "But it's our stage performances and our names next to it would do the real promotion for us.'

Still, Sadiki does not think that the station should be taken off the air.

"I don't think TEMPO should be taken off of TV, as I strongly feel that it has great potential to promote Caribbean people, its music and culture as they have promised," he said. "I really thought that TEMPO would have given the unknown or less established artists in the Caribbean a leg up, as we need it more than the more established acts."
    Even though many persons have expressed to one of St. Kitts' leading home grown talent their dissatisfaction with the station Sadiki will give the channel the benefit of the doubt.
    "I will stay positive and give the people at TEMPO the benefit of the doubt and hope that they can really look at these issues seriously and really use TEMPO to serve the Caribbean as a whole and not just a part of it," he said.
    The petition headed by Ross-Robinson and others stated that it is seeking seventy-five signatories for the removal of TEMPO from the St. Kitts-Nevis cable package. While people of the Caribbean may not, at this time, have the material resources to establish their own television channel presenting entertaining and/or thought-provoking programming on Caribbean culture.
    The petitioners feel strongly that Caribbean people do have the intellectual and instinctual wherewithal and the dignity and self-respect - to know that TEMPO is not in the best interests of Caribbean governments, and is not in the best interests of Caribbean people.