Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is '########################' a slur?

Credits

Is '########################' a slur?

Forgive me if I'm ignorant on this, but I keep hearing conflicting viewpoints on it. I've heard some people say the term "########################" is a racial slur on the level of the n-word, but then some people say it's okay and of course much people are using it freely. Can someone educate me/us on the history of the word and whether or not it bothers you to hear?

Credits
    From what i understand it is a racial slur to people of indian decent. I used the word one time not knowing this and got a speech from that person telling me that it is like using the n word. So if i were you i would not use the term loosely.

Credits
    I've heard that, but it really doesn't seem to be common knowledge at all which is why I asked. I mean, there's a new dancehall riddim called "######################## Dance"....you like to think you'd never hear that with the n-word, but....

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    I've come to realize that many use the word ######################## loosely like the word ######################## is used among the African American community, but watch their surroundings when saying it! I've heard people not of Indian background use the word ######################## in a sentence about other Indians and Caribbean Indians especially when cussing @ one. It is degrading, like the word ######################## it was created bring a race down!

Check this out:

"By the end of the nineteenth century in Trinidad, West Indies, the word ########################, which originally referred to East Indian indentured labourers who came to the island to work primarily on the sugar cane plantations, had taken on a new meaning. It now meant a being so debased and degraded that he or she represented a lower level of humanity.
    ORIGINS demonstrates that the transformation in the meaning of "########################" resulted from the development of a racial ideology by the colonial state and its allies. Such an ideology was needed both to justify the coercion of indentured labour by the colonial state and to resolve the acute contradiction in bourgeois notions of freedom engendered by the strong-arm approach to the control and discipline of indentured labour."

Check this site out: http://members.allstream.net/~sanden0/abs.html

Credits
    I think "########################" is a slur just like the word "####################"...if you were an indian and call a black person ####################, i think that the person will be greatly offended and think that you are disrespecting their race...

SAME SH!T DIFFERNT TOILET HornaMan4Hire's Avatar HornaMan4Hire is offline
    Credits
    i used to use the word when i was younger until my grandmother told me not to use it anymore cause some deem it as offensive... but then i heard indian people use the word loosely amongst each other...
    But i don't use it at all anymore because you dont know who accepts it or who will be offended by it

joon-yah
    i always used the word loosely and never had a problem, i got nuff gt massive friends too. but not until i came here did i get such a reaction to sayin "########################". ppl call me direspectful and ignorant etc.
    yuh need to relax, cuz those who said those comments to me probably werent even ########################s or should i say, of East Indian Descent. . . im gonna have a talk with my Guyanese friends.

Credits
    interestingly enough the term ######################## was used to describe asian as in chinese and japanese indentured servants. its meaning being unskilled laborer. eventually the east indian population took over the population when it came to the indentured servants and the name was passed on to the east indians.

i think its all according to where u are from , in countries with large east indian descent for example trinidad and guyana its used as a slur. whilst from what i understand in jamaica its more tolerable its just a description (i could be wrong eh) u would hear ######################## bwoy or mr chin etc. its not menat as an offense whereas it would in trinidad and guyana

i remember when growing up, we always used to hear how ######################## people had lice, and spanish women were hot and dutty (directed to hurt me). i remember one time saying some racial remark to a indian fella in standard four and next thing after i get licks when i reach home they told me that one of my grandfathers is an indian.

lets jsut say that that word never came out of my lips again

Credits
    Originally posted by innocence
    lets jsut say that that word never came out of my lips again
    And now that I know the history (thanks Empress!), it ain't never coming out of mine again, except to try to educate whoever I can. I don't care any longer who it may or may not offend; clearly it's offensive end of story.

Just like with the n-word, just cause we want to forget history doesn't remove it from existence. The same way no one would degrade their own mother and father, I'm not gonna disrespect the memory of any of our ancestors by forgetting how they had 2 struggle for us.

Credits
    Sorry to say but this is funny to me.. I gues it depends on the person(people) using the term. I say "funny" because I have a cousin-in-law who's nickname is "########################" and she or the family has absolutely no problem with it at all.

Now I know and i'm glad to learn the history as well..
    (empress big up yuhself)

Credits
    yes, ######################## is equal to the n word. black people calling an indian ######################## is like someone who is not black calling you n*gger. it is very disrespectful.

joon-yah,
    u need to start having some respect for everyone else on this site. if your objective is to put people down and prove what u can and cant do around your boys and them then maybe you shouldn't be on this forum. this is big people ting..

Credits
    Originally posted by TRiNiDReD
    joon-yah,
    u need to start having some respect for everyone else on this site. if your objective is to put people down and prove what u can and cant do around your boys and them then maybe you shouldn't be on this forum. this is big people ting..
    dred.. why u screamin on de guy.. he said he HAD friends that were cool with it. If he didnt know yuh can't fault him. Where do you see him putting people down on dis site?

Credits
    is from earlier this morning, how he say some indian trini's is bush lookin and haitians are the best.. but also in his post in this thread when he said :

ppl call me direspectful and ignorant etc.
    yuh need to relax, cuz those who said those comments to me probably werent even ########################s or should i say, of East Indian Descent. . .

iz then he admitted he knows certain people think its disrespectful and ignorant to use the world, but yet he still using it "werent even ########################s" .. thats like me saying, i didnt know people found the n word offensive, but then again people who said that werent even ########################s...or should i say, from africa (keep in mind... i aint black)

think about it from that point of view... do you see the disrespect now?

Originally posted by DWizard of AAHS
    dred.. why u screamin on de guy.. he said he HAD friends that were cool with it. If he didnt know yuh can't fault him. Where do you see him putting people down on dis site?

Credits
    ............oh.. my bad...

<----------------------------------*exit stage left*

joon-yah
    Originally posted by TRiNiDReD
    yes, ######################## is equal to the n word. black people calling an indian ######################## is like someone who is not black calling you n*gger. it is very disrespectful.

joon-yah,

huh? i dont know if your reading too deep into my words or whatever, but disrespecting ppl is the last thing i try to do. when ppl disrespect my culture, i dont like the feeling it give me. so i try not to do it to others. i never tried to put anyone down, comming on islandmix was the first time i heard anyone get offended by me using the term ########################. as i said b4, i always refer to my Guyanese friends as ########################s and they never were offended by this. it shocked me to learn the ppl here find this offensive. call this forum de " big people ting" but if i could learn from it, and my ignorance can be corrected, i really dont care wha yuh wan call it. meaning i'll stay here and continue to be educated by other's reactions.

thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast