Thread: College Kill Lodge School...

Credits

Cricket Problems Again!

Credits

College Kill Lodge School...

SIMON STEEL totally perplexed The Lodge with penetrative off spin bowling which earned him a match winning five wicket haul as Harrison College secured the BET Under-15 title with a convincing innings and 98-run win over Lodge yesterday.

Steel took five for 24 to ensure Lodge would fear little better than they did in the first innings when they fell for 97 after resuming on the third and final morning at 97 for nine.

Forced to follow on, Steel led the College bowlers as they put a strangle-hold on the boys from St. John in the second innings as well.

It took just three deliveries for pacer Bradley Kellman to breech the defence of last man Justin Ward before Lodge could add to the overnight score.

Steel was among the wickets early when Lodge followed on. He removed opener Brian Browne, caught by Theo Greaves at short backward square, with the score just 17. Chad Linton and captain Sharmarh Brooks stabilised the innings in a second wicket stand of 46, the best partnership of the match for The Lodge.

The pair seemed to be guiding Lodge to a respectable draw when the alert Stefan Forte held a smart chance at second slip off Omar Gilkes as Brooks, 28, assayed a cut.

There was more trouble for Lodge when Linton, 32, who batted with determination and maturity in both innings, surrendered his wicket by the run out route for the second time in the match. Stefan Gooding and Michael St. Hill both fell while only one run was added as Lodge declined rapidly from 63 for one to 71 for five. They never recovered.

Ryan Herbert bagged a pair when Forte held a sharp catch at silly mid-off from the bowling of Steel who quickly trapped Kyle Corbin lbw as Lodge slipped closer to defeat at 80 for seven.

The stylish Diego Stuart became another lbw victim to Steel as he played across the line and then Dawayne Sealy’s, 22, lost patience and was lbw to left arm spinner Jonathan Skeete trying to work a ball into the on side. Shortly after Steel completed his five-wicket haul by bowling Ward to trigger the College celebrations.

Komi Barrow the successful Harrison College captain who impressed not only by scoring a disciplined century but with the maturity of his leadership, attributed this aspect of his game to the fact that he watches lots of cricket.

“Watching cricket a lot helps me. I watch cricket a lot and I listen to Geoffrey Boycott when he is commentating and I try to get tips from him and other commentators,” the young captain told WEEKENDSPORT after the match.

“I try to do a lot for the team. Whatever my coach asks me to do I try to do it. I try to make good decisions. I also have good support from a parent called Mr Forte. He is on the sideline helping me to make some of the decisions.”

Team coach Adrian Thorne, a physical education teacher at the school identified team spirit and depth in batting as two other factors responsible for success.

“We have been working on it (team spirit) for a long time from first form and doing a lot of mental drills.

“We have looked at it because when you have lots of team spirit that team usually goes on to win any tournament, so we have tried to get back the team spirit within the school. It has started with the cricket and we’ll carry it on to track and field hopefully.”