Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is college education worth it?

Credits

is college education worth it?

how many of u guys here can raise u'r hand (or at least reply 2 post) saying u were happy with u'r college education, it was well worth the cost and can wave u'r degree with pride? i think college was a waste of time 4 me and not worth the money at all. students spend so much for a 'good' education and come out of college flat broke searching for a job to pay them a jokey salary that matches what they paid for their 1st yr. of college tuition. it's sad most companies that hire ppl want 2 c u have at least a BS to let u work 4 them. thoughts?

salt

Credits
    Salt,
    Thanks for the motivation

MrBlackRock
    i am happy wid de academic side.

but de whole experience has been a revelation....

College was amazing for me, i graduated wid degrees but i feel like i got a communications degree without the diploma cause i learned about different people and their cultures.. quite an experience.. and yes .. it was de only place ugly men like me got some

Credits
    Certainly worth it, the whole experience not just the degree. People fail to realize now that a BA or BS is almost like a high school Diploma, it is a must have, a minimum. People need to start aiming for higher degrees to make the big bucks.. but Salt you have a point my salary does not equate to the amount of debt from law school i have

Credits
    Salt- Unfortunately for the most part employers look at your college degree and more prominently what college you attended in order to determine if they should hire you. Many of us after college cannot find jobs in our career field which is sad since we are forced to accept other means of attaining income via jobs which we may not like but is financially rewarding. Students loans can be a killer, especially if you finish college and unemployed or the job pays enough for day to day survival. Hey salt it's a "Jungle out Deh"
    www.VibesFromVenus.com

Credits

here's my opinion

Well, I'm in my senior year now....and as I look back I realize I really didn't learn anything pertaining to academics. Dealing with my brain melting Biology and Chemistry courses only taught, and is still teaching me work ethic. (Frig the "teaching how to problem solve" notion. Thats a pile ah shyt).

College also taught me how to deal w/ people of different cultures, and how to network amongst each other.
    .....not to mention, bullshyttin yuh way thru an exam.. (cheatsheets)

which I guess, helps you get around things in the real world. I hope when I'm done the job I want will be there for me. The wheels for that position are in motion anyways.
    Last edited by Panman06; 05-08-2003 at 10:35 AM.

MrBlackRock
    Originally posted by Kamasutra
    Salt- Unfortunately for the most part employers look at your college degree and more prominently what college you attended in order to determine if they should hire you. Many of us after college cannot find jobs in our career field which is sad since we are forced to accept other means of attaining income via jobs which we may not like but is financially rewarding. Students loans can be a killer, especially if you finish college and unemployed or the job pays enough for day to day survival. Hey salt it's a "Jungle out Deh"
    student loans are a ####################.. thats why you go non profit... get a prominent position and write grants proposals to help you pay them off .. not that i did that or anything

Credits
    Baje and MBR,

I think the experience is entirely different when you go away and live on campus, etc. I saw, did and learned things in those years that I would not or could not have experienced anywhere else. So in that aspect I believe it is worth it.

On the other side...I have such a problem with how the entire degree situation pans out...how many idiots do you know with degrees....tell the truth...athletes that made it through just b/c they were on the team, alumnis kids, etc. I just don't think that is fair that you spend all that money and effort to get a degree just so you can get a job that you usually hate and still be in debt.

MrBlackRock
    Originally posted by Ilandfntsy
    Baje and MBR,

I think the experience is entirely different when you go away and live on campus, etc. I saw, did and learned things in those years that I would not or could not have experienced anywhere else. So in that aspect I believe it is worth it.

On the other side...I have such a problem with how the entire degree situation pans out...how many idiots do you know with degrees....tell the truth...athletes that made it through just b/c they were on the team, alumnis kids, etc. I just don't think that is fair that you spend all that money and effort to get a degree just so you can get a job that you usually hate and still be in debt.
    athletes get robbed. so dey deserve it... we couldn't work or do shit but lift weights. take supplements and wake up at 4 am... but thats another story.. people these days that get degree's in one major end up in another field

Credits

Re: is college education worth it?

Originally posted by lordsalt
    how many of u guys here can raise u'r hand (or at least reply 2 post) saying u were happy with u'r college education, it was well worth the cost and can wave u'r degree with pride? i think college was a waste of time 4 me and not worth the money at all. students spend so much for a 'good' education and come out of college flat broke searching for a job to pay them a jokey salary that matches what they paid for their 1st yr. of college tuition. it's sad most companies that hire ppl want 2 c u have at least a BS to let u work 4 them. thoughts?

salt
    I think well worth it....student loan on the other is ah biatchhhh..cause..you go to school for what like 2-3 yrs..and den in de end..yuh end up paying back student loan for like de next flicking 10 years or something depending how much yuh loan is...

Credits
    Originally posted by MrBlackRock
    athletes get robbed. so dey deserve it... we couldn't work or do shit but lift weights. take supplements and wake up at 4 am... but thats another story.. people these days that get degree's in one major end up in another field
    You should say some athletes get robbed, but the stars plain and simple get over.

MrBlackRock
    You should say some athletes get robbed, but the stars plain and simple get over.
    we had 4 stars on a team of 94... so that ain sayin a ping or pang.

we had to watch the basketball team get over... is it a coincidence dat de whole team had black trucks? 1 throught 12 had de same black trucks... NCAA can kiss my .. anyhow i off topic

Credits
    Originally posted by MrBlackRock
    we had 4 stars on a team of 94... so that ain sayin a ping or pang.

we had to watch the basketball team get over... is it a coincidence dat de whole team had black trucks? 1 throught 12 had de same black trucks... NCAA can kiss my .. anyhow i off topic

I understand you...I just know I went to a school where the football team was always being courted by the NFL Drafters and I saw plenty idiots get a degree just so the school could make some money...so I guess we both bitter...

but we both digress...

Credits
    Well that's american way, those with power, prestige, and have contacts in the right places get over while other with limited influence accept what is dealt to them. right
    www.VibesFromVenus.com

Credits
    I see a college education as an investment in self that will pay off in the long run. Unfortunately for many of us students loans are a reality. But the way I look at it is, at least a student loan can be deferred, placed on forebearance, etc., so it's not as bad as say a personal loan from a bank. College is not only about academics but also about socialization. There are so many lessons you learn in college especially if you went away to school. If I had to do it again, I would go to the same schools but do some things differently (like not hang out in College Town Bagels "studying" with my slacker ex-boyfriend ). But the college experience is like none other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast