Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: A Class Laydee

  1. #1
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263

    A Class Laydee

    I have friends from Dominica and I have always been intrigued with the island, can you tell me some things about Dominica?

    I want to visit a lot of islands in the Caribbean and Dominica is one of them.
    I would like to about your carnival from islanders perspective, the music, the beaches, the rainforests, and of course the infamous "mountain chicken"

  2. #2
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Quote Originally Posted by deoriginalrudeboy
    I have friends from Dominica and I have always been intrigued with the island, can you tell me some things about Dominica?

    I want to visit a lot of islands in the Caribbean and Dominica is one of them.
    I would like to about your carnival from islanders perspective, the music, the beaches, the rainforests, and of course the infamous "mountain chicken"

    wow...........

    About The Carnival_
    The musical heritage of carnival in Dominica is unique because of its high French and West African influence. Zouk and bouyon are most popular, in addition to the moko jumbies (stilt walkers) and sensay. Dubbed the most original carnival in the Caribbean, 'The Opening of Carnival City' starts off in Roseau, where numerous calypso and steel pan competitions reign. Lagoon Street Jam and Pan By The Bay are highly anticipated. Celebrations run from December until the day before Ash Wednesday, with the burning or burying of the carnival 'spirit' to kick off Lent
    http://www.socanews.com/carnival/car...vals/434.shtml


    Be back with more info

  3. #3
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Quote Originally Posted by deoriginalrudeboy
    I have friends from Dominica and I have always been intrigued with the island, can you tell me some things about Dominica?

    I want to visit a lot of islands in the Caribbean and Dominica is one of them.
    I would like to about your carnival from islanders perspective, the music, the beaches, the rainforests, and of course the infamous "mountain chicken"
    I will pm you with more info


    Jus for starters.....mountian chicken(everyone jokes about this one)....its a delicacy and is mostly eaten around holidays...not that may are left

  4. #4
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    wow...........

    About The Carnival_
    The musical heritage of carnival in Dominica is unique because of its high French and West African influence. Zouk and bouyon are most popular, in addition to the moko jumbies (stilt walkers) and sensay. Dubbed the most original carnival in the Caribbean, 'The Opening of Carnival City' starts off in Roseau, where numerous calypso and steel pan competitions reign. Lagoon Street Jam and Pan By The Bay are highly anticipated. Celebrations run from December until the day before Ash Wednesday, with the burning or burying of the carnival 'spirit' to kick off Lent
    http://www.socanews.com/carnival/car...vals/434.shtml


    Be back with more info
    do you speak patios as well? i rem. when i was younger hearing my friend's mother and her mother arguing in patois. doesn't dominca have 365 rivers flowing through it as well.

  5. #5
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    personally J'Ouvert is the best.......just good fun...no violence

  6. #6
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    I will pm you with more info


    Jus for starters.....mountian chicken(everyone jokes about this one)....its a delicacy and is mostly eaten around holidays...not that may are left
    your country seems so quiet and laid back and i like that. i love trinidad but i wish some ppl didn't know about it like it's a hideaway, Dominica seems so peaceful and serene, and it's good that it's unspoilt and hasnt been conquered by the masses of tourism, sometimes it's just good to be like that.

  7. #7
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    personally J'Ouvert is the best.......just good fun...no violence
    when was the last time u went DA for carnival, see i would love to go but it clashes with tnt, and if I go DA a part of me would be regretting not being in TnT.

  8. #8
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Quote Originally Posted by deoriginalrudeboy
    do you speak patios as well? i rem. when i was younger hearing my friend's mother and her mother arguing in patois. doesn't dominca have 365 rivers flowing through it as well.
    lol....i ent count of all the rivers.....but it is known for its many rivers and waterfalls


    Just to clear something up....many ppl think that everyone form St Lucia and DOminica speak creole....but this is not so

    It is mostly spoken in the country side bc many consider it to be backwards and lower class....jus like all Jamacians do not speak all the Kingstonian patios that you hear in Dancehall music...I went to college with international studies straight from JA and they did not know or didn't care for a lix of "Jamaican Patios"

    Its a upperclass/lower class thing

    Hope no one bites my head off...but upper class...ie ppl from Roseau and the South...who can afford a good ed...mostly speak French

    Another thing the Bouyon Music you hear everyone talking about hails from Roseau....the capital....and from what I have some to understand not everyone from the isle like it

    There is a Possie(Portsmouth) and Roseau issue going on with this....I am sure when VAL reads this who is in DA right now...she will elaborate...along with Oneshot, Yellowman, and Shabaine

    PPl also listen to Compa and zouk
    Last edited by A class laydee; 04-27-2005 at 09:24 PM.

  9. #9
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Quote Originally Posted by deoriginalrudeboy
    when was the last time u went DA for carnival, see i would love to go but it clashes with tnt, and if I go DA a part of me would be regretting not being in TnT.

    Well all I can say....is it is diff(although I have never been to Tnt...much less Tnt carnival)
    On a smaller case than TnT I a sure of that
    The costumes are very original thou
    Maybe you might enjoy the world cerole music festival...it doesn't clash with TnT carnival
    2001

  10. #10
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    lol....i ent count of all the rivers.....but it is known for its many rivers and waterfalls


    Just to clear something up....many ppl think that everyone form St Lucia and DOminica speak creole....but this is not so

    It is mostly spoken in the country side bc many consider it to be backwards and lower class....jus like all Jamacians do not speak all the Kingstonian patios that you hear in Dancehall music...I went to college with international studies straight from JA and they did not know or didn't care for a lix of "Jamaican Patios"

    Its a upperclass/lower class thing

    Hope no one bites my head off...but upper class...ie ppl from Roseau and the South...who can afford a good ed...mostly speak French

    Another thing the Bouyon Music you hear everyone talking about hails from Roseau....the capital....and from what I have some to understand not everyone from the isle like it

    There is a Possie(Portsmouth) and Roseau issue going on with this....I am sure when VAL reads this who is in DA right now...she will elaborate...along with Oneshot, Yellowman, and Shabaine

    PPl also listen to Compa and zouk
    i used to read a lot about DA, and I would always hear about Indian River and Picard Beach, or those the hot spots to lime?

  11. #11
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Are you in BK or Tnt?????

    The summer is coming and you are welcome to come to Boston rd in the Bronx to see some DA bands perform....one of my cousins is in a good band in BKLYN(I forget the name now thou)
    Maybe you can come to the studio
    Moving along....my Uncle is in the same band as VAl...seramix

  12. #12
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    Well all I can say....is it is diff(although I have never been to Tnt...much less Tnt carnival)
    On a smaller case than TnT I a sure of that
    The costumes are very original thou
    Maybe you might enjoy the world cerole music festival...it doesn't clash with TnT carnival
    2001
    isn't DA very mountanious. I am very intrigued about DA. I am reading every link of the link you sent me. lol.

  13. #13
    IslandGem A class laydee's Avatar A class laydee is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,979
    Credits
    1,017,395
    Quote Originally Posted by deoriginalrudeboy
    i used to read a lot about DA, and I would always hear about Indian River and Picard Beach, or those the hot spots to lime?
    Picard river is better...........
    Indian River is more touristieeee

  14. #14
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    Are you in BK or Tnt?????

    The summer is coming and you are welcome to come to Boston rd in the Bronx to see some DA bands perform....one of my cousins is in a good band in BKLYN(I forget the name now thou)
    Maybe you can come to the studio
    Moving along....my Uncle is in the same band as VAl...seramix
    i'm in philly. I think DA's music is very underrated, i rem. when my friend's aunt first came here she put on some good calypso music w/ a lot of brass.

  15. #15
    Registered User deoriginalrudeboy is offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    P.A.
    Posts
    12,634
    Credits
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by A class laydee
    Picard river is better...........
    Indian River is more touristieeee
    i think i rem. seeing it on caribbean rythms on bet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •