Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: China

Credits

China

I am hoping to make it to Beijing for a family trip maybe in 14 or 15 and I'm "concerned" about racism because my mother is very sensitive.

I have read/heard about so much Chinese racism. Is it really that bad?

Credits
    I've never been and I'm not interested to go either so I don't know about the level of racism there. However, I don't think that it's anything life threatening.
    Chen ki japť pa mÚde!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    I am hoping to make it to Beijing for a family trip maybe in 14 or 15 and I'm "concerned" about racism because my mother is very sensitive.

I have read/heard about so much Chinese racism. Is it really that bad?
    I did not experience any racism while in China, and I was there last year. The people are great, and you need to worry about the tour group,hotels, food and toilets.
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend- Arabic proverb

Credits
    A friend of mine currently lives in China. While she found it to be a great experience, she says that they are quite racist.

I'm going to share some of her blog posts.

The Black Woman in China: Alien Acceptance

The lack of understanding and knowledge in other cultures used to worry me a lot. Most of the Chinese people I encounter in Guangzhou believe that black women tend to be over weight with coarse hair and carry a foul stench. When I walk on to a bus or train they may cover their nose or point and stare many times with a face of disgust. If you are a black woman in Guangzhou, many believe you are most likely from Africa, here on business exporting things back to your third world country. The black woman tends to be oversexualized, misunderstood and underappreciated here. So at 5í7Ē, 114 pounds with 16 inch straight black hair often braided or styled, huge brown eyes with a slim body processed through bar soap, body wash and perfume, including the fact that I am from AMERICA working a job getting paid almost 3 times the average Chinese salaryóó Iím an alien amongst Chinese people in my office, in the college I teach, on the train, on the bus and in most public places.

This morning I finally accepted it. It is okay for people to be curious, itís the ignorant curosity I am learning to ignore. Before I always felt the need to reprimand, but I no longer think thatís necessary. And quite franklyó- IíM TIRED. This afternoon as I was walking off the train a young woman crossed my path and when her eyes connected with mines, she jumped back and let out a shriek as if she just saw a monster. I busted out laughing like a mad woman, nearly falling on the floor. I canít teach everyone. As a teacher, itís in my blood to want to educate others, show people when they are wrong and help them fix it. But I just canít. I can not in China. I donít want to.

So in the mean time, I just crank up the volume in headphones and pray that the next person they come across teaches them a good lessonÖ (Öevil laugh)

Credits
    5 Things I LOVE About China

Often times, my blogs about Guangzhou and China may seem a bit negative but I can’t deny that there are some really good things about living here. There are many good things about living in China but today I can only think about a solid five. Don’t judge me.

1. The living expense is very cheap. Currently I have a three bedroom, two full bathroom amazing apartment on the outside of the city. There is a private free bus that takes me into the city throughout the day into the early hours of the morning. Taxis come through frequently and they are still building all kinds of amenities to accommodate the residents of my garden.

2. Getting around town is easy. Unlike living in Jersey, I have no need for a car. No car means no car insurance, no spending money on gas, no car note and no winter car trouble. No car means NO PARKING OR SPEEDING TICKETS!!! Who wouldn’t want that? The trains, buses and taxis in Guangzhou cost little to nothing, they run often and move quite fast.

3. Eating healthy is easier. Fruits and vegetables are fresher than in the states. Buying fruits and vegetables so incredibly cheap, it’s hard to pick junk food over fresh, natural, healthy food.

4. Traveling opportunity. I have lived in America all my life and even when I traveled I stayed in the West. But out here in the East, there are so many other countries and cultures to explore. I have my heart set visiting the following countries before I leave.

Philippines
    Singapore
    Indonesia
    Japan
    India

5. Living on my owns is a constant challenge to my maturity in dealing with life situations. Being independent allows you to experience life in a different way. I don’t have a dad to lean on for money. I have rent and utilities to pay. I have to cook on my own and go grocery shopping. Being independent taught me time and a finance management. It’s not always what I want but it is definitely helped me become a better me.

Credits
    When I Ride Public Transportation In China:

How I See The Locals

How the locals See me:

Credits
    When I Ride Public Transportation In China:

How I See The Locals

How the locals See me:

lol
    Im intoxicated and my speevg gettgdgget.... sorry. And my speech getting complicated

Credits
    I have tons of friends studying in China and none of them have complained about racism. The thing is if you go to a country expecting racism you will get it. Americans worry too much about racism.

Credits
    Hmm, I don't agree with that. Racism is not something that only Americans are subjected too. Maybe your friends just pretend not to see what is going around them or simply chose to ignore it. However, that doesn't mean that people haven't acted in negative ways about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadadlineko View Post
    I have tons of friends studying in China and none of them have complained about racism. The thing is if you go to a country expecting racism you will get it. Americans worry too much about racism.
    Chen ki japť pa mÚde!

Credits
    Racism should be the least of your worries, you guys should be more worried about the drinking water and food.
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    And the air...

Quote Originally Posted by notorious saga View Post
    Racism should be the least of your worries, you guys should be more worried about the drinking water and food.
    Chen ki japť pa mÚde!

Credits
    My aunt visited and enjoyed it. She didn't mention experiencing racism. You never know and really, it's all over.

Credits
    if you look indian that might be a problem..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Missmayling View Post
    I did not experience any racism while in China, and I was there last year. The people are great, and you need to worry about the tour group,hotels, food and toilets.
    Do explain

Credits
    Just to clarify-

I am not an American. I do not look for racism. I am world traveler and live almost exclusively surrounded by non-Blacks.

I stated that I was worried about my mother because she will be very offended if someone touches her hair or if she experiences anything described in that blog.

I do not look mixed. (Occasionally someone will ask me what I'm mixed with but it is rare). I wear extensions. I am slim and petite. My mom is also Black and is dark skinned, tall and full-figured (size 10).

My great-aunt went to Hong Kong and had a bad experience with racism but that was ages ago and China is a different country so I want to prepare my Mom. She remembers her aunt's experience and Hong Kong is more cosmopolitan than mainland China so it can only be worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast