Thread: Chicago Stampede

Credits

Chicago Stampede

This is sooo sad!!!

Official: Chicago club was told to close second floor

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- The owner of a building where 21 people died early Monday in a stampede from a second-floor nightclub was under court order not to use the second floor because the structure didn't meet city building codes, Chicago officials said late Monday.

"The owner knows damn well that he is not to open that second-floor facility," Chicago Fire Commissioner James Joyce said.

A judge had ordered that the second-floor nightclub E2 above the Epitome restaurant, at 24th Street and South Michigan Avenue, not be used after inspectors found 11 building and fire code violations in July 2002, according to a city attorney.

"Shoddy rehab work that had been done, some of the stairwells were not in compliance -- exit lights were not up to our standards," Joyce said, reciting some of the violations.

City officials said they plan to seek criminal contempt charges against the owner, Lesly Motors, as early as Tuesday.

The 12 female and nine male victims ranged in age from 21 to 43, Police Superintendent Terry Hillard said.

Witnesses said hundreds rushed for the door about 3 a.m. (4 a.m. EST) after security guards used pepper spray and Mace to break up a fight between two female patrons.

Police Superintendent Terry Hillard said two people had an altercation, but investigators have received conflicting reports on who was involved and how the spray got into the air.

When some of the patrons began to vomit or pass out -- apparently from the chemical fumes -- the crowd scrambled to get down the club's single open staircase leading outside.

Fire officials backed away from earlier reports of locked or blocked doors, saying no one tried to use rear doors that were partially blocked by bags of restaurant laundry.

"They all tried to go out the same stairwell and the same door," Joyce said.

One witness described the scene:"The smaller women were getting pushed and stamped on because the bigger guys were really trying to make headway to get out the door, but once they came to the main entrance, it just kind of like got stuck."

Other survivors recounted horror stories. "Everybody smashed; people crying, couldn't breathe," patron Reggie Clark told The Associated Press. "Two ladies next to me died. A guy under me passed out."

see: http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/0...lub/index.html
    Last edited by bunjigarlindarlin; 02-17-2003 at 08:20 PM.
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits

Unhappy really sad

The security could've used other methods to break up a fight. To use spray and mace to break up a fight oh come on! The bouncers can't handle two women without help? I've seen bouncers in NYC clubs in all they needed to do was show up and the offender wasx out of there. Besides using mace or any other kinds of "gases" or "fumes" in a crowded place is stupid in these times of "code orange" and duct tape.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    This is so unfortunate.But how the hell does a club get away with one exit.

Credits
    The fire rescuers said they had to CUT through the other doors to get inside.

Originally posted by MELLENIUM DIVA
    This is so unfortunate.But how the hell does a club get away with one exit.
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

STICKMAN
    sometimes when i in a real crowded fete, thats always in the back of my mind...
    I hope nothing happen that could set off a stampede.

Credits
    I've been in a club where pepper spray was used and although I was far from where they used it, it's so easy for others to be affected by it. Why anyone would want to use that to break up 2 females is beyond me. If they can't break up 2 females, why are they guards to begin w/? Mace/pepperspray should be used for people who are either attacking them or if the persons are under the influence of a drug that makes them invincible to regular restraints.