Thread: Charter Schools vs other public schools vs Private Schools vs Magnet Schools

Credits

Charter Schools vs other public schools vs Private Schools vs Magnet Schools

What is your opinion of them?

I am talking about actual experience not hearsay or generalizations.

I noticed some get good reviews others have no business being a school but from a few papers I picked up this is a popular topic.
    When You Get.. Give.... When you learn... teach (Maya Angelou)

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    Let us work with others to change our communities.

Credits
    I think that whatever works for the next generation to get a good education im all for it, I just have some reservations as to why some politicians especially republicans are solely backing charter schools and want to get rid of public schools and not try to fix them.
    American By Birth, Guyanese By Blood!!

Credits
    what is a charter school and magnet school???

first time i am hearing those terms
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by guyanesesun View Post
    I think that whatever works for the next generation to get a good education im all for it, I just have some reservations as to why some politicians especially republicans are solely backing charter schools and want to get rid of public schools and not try to fix them.
    That is the thing self (the bolded)

Why not fix?
    Why the only solution is to have charter schools share a school with another public school?
    Why Pataki and all others who followed never followed the laws or what the judge's ruling was to properly fund the schools?

I am a community-minded person and I go to different meetings. I was fortunate to go to two regular public schools for two different types of meetings and those schools are doing very well and educating the kids very well.

Credits
    the political answer is always "we tried to fix them for years and nothing has worked" yet turn around and wanting to make cuts in education and lay off teachers who are doing their job. this thing frustrates me to no end because I know quite a few people who are teachers in the nyc school system and they are doing a real good job.
    American By Birth, Guyanese By Blood!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post
    what is a charter school and magnet school???

first time i am hearing those terms
    A charter school is a public school that has a board and usually a director who determines how the school is run. They get funding from corporations and donors to help meet the needs of the school. They have control of the curiculum and other rules and regulations.

They have to follow certain state/local laws to remain a charter but they mostly call the shots. They operate on their own.
    They are simply another choice for parents when looking for a solid education for their kids.

Magnet schools are another form of public school but they adhere to the rules and regulations of the board of education in their particular state. They offer specialized curriculums such as Science, Performing Arts or Fashion etc. This type of school is another option for parents.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by guyanesesun View Post
    the political answer is always "we tried to fix them for years and nothing has worked" yet turn around and wanting to make cuts in education and lay off teachers who are doing their job. this thing frustrates me to no end because I know quite a few people who are teachers in the nyc school system and they are doing a real good job.
    I say all who say the bolded could go jump off a cliff. There are two schools I can point out today that are regular public schools who are models on how to have a successful public school. You mean none of these intellectuals can use them as a guide. Excuses excuses.

In many cases they don't pay teachers in the cities equitable to the suburbs.
    They have certain rules that make schools have a difficult time functioning and on top of that what to fire really good teachers who have to teach some kids who really don't get proper/caring parenting. Class size is a challenge.

Too many so-called educated people running things who like to give excuses.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniTrini View Post
    That is the thing self (the bolded)

Why not fix?
    Why the only solution is to have charter schools share a school with another public school?
    Why Pataki and all others who followed never followed the laws or what the judge's ruling was to properly fund the schools?

I am a community-minded person and I go to different meetings. I was fortunate to go to two regular public schools for two different types of meetings and those schools are doing very well and educating the kids very well.
    here is the problem about fixing public schools , you have to deal with huge bureaucracy that feel they all have the answer, you have to deal with the teachers union, the school boards, the city, the state, the federal government. you have no consensus when it comes to issues such as how to discipline students, you have special interest group such as gays who push their agenda , what are the best teaching methods and standards.

Im all private school ( if you afford it) and charter schools all the way. charter schools have more freedom in creating their own system, private schools the same thing and both take discipline alot more serious than public schools

i have no patience in risking my child for 5 or more yrs for them to "fix" the public school

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jahblessed View Post
    here is the problem about fixing public schools , you have to deal with huge bureaucracy that feel they all have the answer, you have to deal with the teachers union, the school boards, the city, the state, the federal government. you have no consensus when it comes to issues such as how to discipline students, you have special interest group such as gays who push their agenda , what are the best teaching methods and standards.

Im all private school ( if you afford it) and charter schools all the way. charter schools have more freedom in creating their own system, private schools the same thing and both take discipline alot more serious than public schools

i have no patience in risking my child for 5 or more yrs for them to "fix" the public school

I stand corrected because often there are many experts providing little solutions and ego often gets in the way. So yes it might not be in the children's best interest in many cases to try to fix. Only those who are willing to work with others and do a quick turn around. Do you recall that movie years back about a principal who turned things around? I think it was Lean on Me.

I think about all the children who were not properly educated over the years because so called adults failed them.

Only thing I will say that the system but more so concerned citizens and organizations must monitor new schools and existing schools. They must do this to ensure certain schools don't keep out parents unfairly and children get to be children and the focus is providing quality education.
    Last edited by TriniTrini; 03-17-2011 at 05:31 AM.