Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OverLord Strum
  • 1 Post By OverLord Strum

Thread: Central African Republic President Overthrown

Credits

Exclamation Central African Republic President Overthrown

By Paul-Marin Ngoupana

BANGUI | Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:59pm EDT

(Reuters) - Rebels in Central African Republic seized the riverside capital Bangui in fierce fighting on Sunday, forcing President Francois Bozize to flee and sowing confusion over who ruled the mineral-rich heart of Africa.

At least nine South African soldiers were killed trying to prevent the rebels taking Bangui, a Reuters witness said, dealing a blow to Pretoria's attempt to stabilize the chaotic central African nation and assert its influence in the region.

The Seleka rebel coalition resumed hostilities on Thursday in the former French colony and quickly swept south to Bangui with the aim of ousting Bozize, whom it accused of breaking a January peace deal to integrate its fighters into the army.

"We have taken the presidential palace," Eric Massi, a Seleka spokesman, told Reuters by telephone early on Sunday.

Government officials confirmed the rebels had captured the city of more than 600,000 people, which lies on the banks of the Oubangi river bordering Democratic Republic of Congo.

The violence is the latest in a series of rebel incursions, clashes and coups that have plagued the landlocked nation - which has rich, yet underexploited deposits of gold, diamonds and uranium - since independence from France in 1960.

Bozize rose to prominence during the rule of former dictator Jean-Bedel Bokassa, self-styled Emperor Bokassa. Bozize‘s failure to deliver genuine power sharing, followed by his re-election in disputed 2011 polls which the opposition boycotted over alleged fraud, led directly to the offensive by the coalition of five armed rebel groups known as Seleka, which means "alliance" in the local Sango language.

Seleka leader Michel Djotodia, named deputy prime minister in charge of defense in a power-sharing government created by January's peace deal, proclaimed himself interim president on Sunday, according to France's RFI radio.

He said Prime Minister Nicolas Tiangaye would head the government until elections in three years. He also imposed a curfew in Bangui, where residents reported widespread pillaging.

"The looting is bad. Both the population and Seleka are involved," said one senior U.N. official in Bangui. "We are not sure who is in charge. I don't think it is clear yet."

France, which already had 250 soldiers in Central African Republic, has sent another 300 troops from Gabon since Friday to ensure the security of French citizens and diplomatic installations in Bangui, according to the defense ministry.

CALLS FOR SWIFT ELECTIONS

Chadian President Idriss Deby, a regional power broker, recognized in a statement on Sunday that Seleka controlled the country and ordered regional peacekeepers to help restore security to the capital. He called for power-sharing until elections.

Djotodia's announcement was rejected by members of his own loose rebel coalition - several of whom are former rivals.

"We are not there to take power by force. We'll put in place a transitional authority of 18 months then go to elections," said Nelson Ndjadder, spokesman for Seleka's CPSK faction.

Martin Ziguele, a former prime minister and president of the civilian opposition MLPC, said he would support Djotodia as interim president provided the transition lasted only one year.

The African Union condemned the rebels' seizure of power, calling for "unified, decisive action" from its members and threatening the country with suspension from the body and Seleka's members with targeted sanctions.

The whereabouts of Bozize - who seized power in a 2003 coup backed by neighboring Chad - were uncertain. A presidential advisor said he had crossed the river into Congo on Sunday morning as rebel forces headed for the presidential palace.

Congo's information minister said Bozize's wife and children - including his eldest son Francis, the former head of defense - were flown out of the Congolese border town of Zongo by the U.N. peacekeeping mission. But he said the ousted president was not among them: "Bozize is not in Democratic Republic of Congo."

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius confirmed Bozize had fled Bangui, but gave no details of his whereabouts. He appealed to France's 1,200 citizens in the country to remain calm and stay in their homes.

The city remained without electricity and water as night fell on Sunday after the Seleka forces - who had seized the nearby town of Boali with its electricity station - turned off the power a day earlier.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said the outages were hindering medical staff attempting to care for the many injured arriving at the city's hospitals.

France has only limited economic interests in the turbulent country. French nuclear giant Areva shuttered its Bakouma uranium project for two years in 2011 following a fall in uranium prices after the Fukushima disaster.

NINE SOUTH AFRICANS DEAD

Seleka's forces had fought their way to the northern suburbs of Bangui late on Saturday before an overnight lull in the fighting. Residents said heavy weapons fire erupted across the city around 8 a.m.

Seleka's Massi said the rebels had broken through a line of South African soldiers during their push into the city. Around 400 South African troops were deployed in the country as military trainers.

"I saw the bodies of six South African soldiers. They had all been shot," a Reuters witness said. Later, he saw three more bodies in burned-out South African military vehicles.

Regional peacekeeping sources said the South Africans had fought alongside the Central African Republic's army on Saturday to prevent rebels entering the capital.

South African army spokesman Brigadier-General Xolani Mabanga confirmed that the country's contingent in Bangui had sustained casualties when they came under attack on Saturday, but he declined to give further details.

A source with the United Nations in Bangui said the South Africans had asked for assistance from French forces to help them leave the country.

Several peacekeepers from the Central African regional force, including three Chadians, were also killed on Saturday, when a helicopter operated by Bozize's forces attacked them, Chad's presidency said in a statement.

Seleka's CPSK faction spokesman, Ndjadder, called upon fighters and the population to stay calm and avoid looting.

A Reuters witness, however, saw youths pillaging houses -including the residence of Bozize's son, Francis - in the northern part of the city.

Rebel fighters directed looters towards the houses of army officers but fired their rifles in the air to protect the homes of ordinary citizens, the witness said.

Seleka fought its way to the gates of Bangui last year after accusing Bozize of violating an earlier peace deal to give its fighters cash and jobs in exchange for laying down their arms.
    Strum has a Grizzly Bear Rug in his living room.

It's not dead however...It's just SCARED TO MOVE.

Juan Dan
    nice tred
    too bad there are so many hoodrats, fishes, dunces, I-love-vs-vs-yankyz, and plenty folks who have little sense

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigga Boozy View Post
    nice tred
    too bad there are so many hoodrats, fishes, dunces, I-love-vs-vs-yankyz, and plenty folks who have little sense
    Yuh doh find that fella on top the truck look like pre-bleach kartel?

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by OverLord Strum View Post
    Yuh doh find that fella on top the truck look like pre-bleach kartel?
    dont really care me bredda...a juss cause me rate nuff a onu and dragon etc why me even still type pon this
    odda dan dat me nuh have much to say

its just sad that these folks THINK they so smart/intelligent
    lol and smh

Credits
    I hope Central Africa can follow SOMEWHAT good examples set by Kenya, Ghana, Benin, Mali, Namibia & a couple others in forming a government of the people.

This last thinly veiled dictatorship is a model that needs to go away in modern Africa. It sucks to see so much constant turmoil.
    mz_JazE likes this.

Credits
    nice tred

what you talking about jed....

Credits
    dont really care me bredda...a juss cause me rate nuff a onu and dragon etc why me even still type pon this
    odda dan dat me nuh have much to say

its just sad that these folks THINK they so smart/intelligent
    lol and smh
    People of all colors from all over the world love bacchanal, competition, fights etc.

For the rest of your days you will encounter what you see here on Imix.
    Juan Dan likes this.

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    what you talking about jed....
    nothing much really
    that giftedchick person rubbed me the wrong way
    wasnt a big deal just disgusted me severely

Credits
    nothing much really
    that giftedchick person rubbed me the wrong way
    wasnt a big deal just disgusted me severely
    wha she send you a pic of her nash?????

Juan Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    wha she send you a pic of her nash?????
    jobs that require me to compete and love money and cut throat I never really am well at
    there is something about fairness and being kind to others even helping them at cost to myself that I like
    so if there is a trick to being successfull I would share it with the whole office
    thats not very competitive especially if there are folks in the office looking to trample me down
    hence there are folks whose lives are dedicated to certain things
    winning and ruining the percieved competition etc

its a war

I like peace

hence in this situation one has to be grimy, wicked, argumentative, a plotter, vile and a thousand other negatives to be in certain environs or in dealing with certain folks

hence thats why I say it disgusted me
    cause erbody some kind of tugg nugga or bish or extra smart or extra this n that and that and that

a hot kitchen is not the problem
    its hot hell without a pot

Credits
    I hope Central Africa can follow SOMEWHAT good examples set by Kenya, Ghana, Benin, Mali, Namibia & a couple others in forming a government of the people.

This last thinly veiled dictatorship is a model that needs to go away in modern Africa. It sucks to see so much constant turmoil.
    What makes you think that Africans control these "mineral and oil rich" states.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    What makes you think that Africans control these "mineral and oil rich" states.
    I already know that other white nations are exploiting some of these countries. Everything is not about money and the creation of money.

I am talking from a standpoint of violence, unrest and killing. While it is not completely eradicated in the counties I listed...it has relatively been greatly reduced compared to other African nations.

Credits
    I am not surprised this thread flopped.

Ahhhh that says so much about Islandmix.

Credits
    I am not surprised this thread flopped.

Ahhhh that says so much about Islandmix.
    Make it about skin, hair broadness of noses, and throw in some savage animal talk...watch it go several pages.

#Imixgooddeed
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    lol