Thread: Carnival is killing soca music

pangea

Carnival is killing soca music

Yes indeed, carnival is killing soca music for the following reasons,

1) Everyone complains that they doh hear soca after Ash Wednesday but what is the reason for this? The soca artistes themselves are falling into their own trap. People complain that, unlike reggae and hiphop, they cyar hear soca all night in a club. The concentration of soca releases around carnival time is the reason. By June, people tired of them songs. If Shadow had release "Horn" in June, you don't think 96.1 would have played it's first soca outside of the carnival season? They would have had no choice but to play it! In the end Shadow might have sold the same number of albums and gotten tons of airplay outside the carnival season. If the only time radio stations and clubs have new soca to play is from December to February, obviously they will be hesitant to repeat the same old tunes for the rest of the year. For the calypsonian, it is difficult because they are trapped into believing they can only make money at carnival time. The fact is they must break that formula if the music is to survive year round. Why not release around Labor day or Caribana for a change?

2) Carnival again forces Calypsonians to release new music on a yearly basis. Do you know of any international artist that like a machine have to release music yearly to survive? No, Whitney Houston, Elton John, Michael Jackson, even Puff Daddy allow themselves 2 to 3 years between albums to allow themselves time for their creative energy to flow. Soca artist must feel pressured to release something new whether they are ready or not. It takes time to be creative, this nonstop 10 new songs every year (Rudder) must be difficult. They don't have the luxury of other writers/singers to allow their minds time to be creative, it is put something out there whether yuh ready or not. Again a problem created by carnival.

barry

RE: Carnival is killing soca music

you are 100% rite.
    carnaval an laziness.
    yu do 1 album a year.
    yu supposed to do like 50 singles then put an album together of the best of them.
    all year long.
    them fools are their own worse enemies.

Credits

WHO CAME FISRT......DEH CHICKEN OR DEH EGG?

CARNIVAL CAME BEFORE SOCA MUSIC, SO HOW COULD YOU MAKE A HOW STATEMENT LIKE THAT. AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU COULD ALMOST SAY THAT SOCA CAME FROM CARNIVAL.

SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, KILL CARNIVAL TO SAVE SOCA? CARNIVAL IS SOMETHING THAT COMES FROM OUR ROOTS WE MUST TREASURE IT.

TRYING TO MAKE SOCA YEAR ROUND WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR ANY ARTIST. IT WILL REQUIRE ALOT OF RESOURCES, ENERGY, CREATIVITY, RISK TAKING, AND MOST IMPORTANT A LARGE BASE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE WHOLE HEARTEDLY DEVOTED TO OUR MUSIC WHICH WE DON'T HAVE ( I WOULD TO BE OPTIMISTIC AND SAY "YET" BUT I DON'T KNOW.)

OUR ISLANDS ARE TOO SMALL AND TOO DIVIDED AND WE DON'T TAKE CARE OF OUR SPECIAL ARTISTS LIKE SPARROW OR ROSE. THAT IS OUR PROBLEM NOT CARNIVAL. IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS YOU EITHER DON'T KNOW YOUR ROOTS OR YOU DON'T HAVE RESPECT FOR IT.

REMEMBER OUR ISLANDS ARE NOT RESOURCEFUL AND WE ARE VERY VUNERABLE TO THINGS LIKE HURRICANES WHICH I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE AND SOME OF YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF.

THIS YEAR WE ALL SHOULD LISTEN TO THE "HEROES" BY DENISE PLUMMER AND TAKE IT TO HEART AND WE WILL UNDERSTAND WHY OUR MUSIC AINT'T MAKING IT AS BIG AS OTHERS.

IT IS LIKE WE WAITING SOME MAJOR EVENT LIKE SPARROW, ROSE, OR SHORTSHIRT TO DIE FOR US TO REALLY STOP AND TAKE HOMAGE OF OUR MUSIC.

PLEASE PEOPLE LET'S SHOW SOME LOVE FOR OUR ARTISTS.

PEACE.

Credits

RE: WHO CAME FISRT......DEH CHICKEN OR DEH EGG?

VERY WELL SAID AND WITH THAT NOTE YOU SHOULD TELL THEM THAT REGGEA MUSIC COME FROM TRINIDAD........

pangea

Partner, trust meh, ah respect meh roots and I am not saying get rid of carnival. I will never say that. If you read my post, I am referring to the timing of calypsonians album releases with carnival and the yearly album release. Art cannot be dictated by time, it must come naturally, but today in order to survive, these artistes are churning out a new album every year whether they ready or not, thus the music will suffer.

Peace

barry

bwoy unu dumb as f*ck

"making music year round is hard for any artist".........

chek beris, beenie, bounty, buju an any jamaican artist. music making 365 days a year.
    is a job.
    like any other.
    you ####################s lazy.
    dats it.
    jump an wave. jump an wave.HANHANHANHANHANHANHAN. WINE ON A BUMPSIE.
    once a year.
    das why reggae run tings after ash wednesday.
    by the sweat of their brow shall they eat bread.

so das why unu shall always suffer an complain how people doan appreciate an respect soca.
    i said it before an i will say it again.

CORNY an BLOODCLAT LAZY.

MAKE MUSIC ONCE A YEAR?
    DUMB FU*KS.

Me_Agen

Pangea, I understand what you are saying about the limited carnival time and the need to 'have' an album out every year...something that artiste of other genres with much more resources dont have to do.
    I think you make some very valid points too.
    However, have you ever looked at the positive side of this?
    If there wasnt any carnival, dont you think there would be less work and effort put into calypso/soca album production? And aren't you missing the dynamic of the year round carnivals in different islands and America?(As well as London)
    I remember someone saying on this forum what a great song 'Kim'(Wrong Name) was and another person replying that they thought that tune wasnt that hot. I didnt think so either because I had just heard it once and dismissed it. Now its one of my favorite soca tunes and it is burning up Trinidad THIS season even though it was released for Barbados cropover.
    "Footsteps' atually won a Barbados road march I recently read. This song was released for Trinidad carnival.
    Rupee is Hot Hot Hot Hot in Trinidad with his smash hit 'JUMP'
    which was not released for the Trinidad carnival season.
    By now you see what I am getting at.
    The carnival season is really year round, manifesting and reviving itself at differnt times in different places year round. Sometimes you have to take a broader perspective and look for the 'positive' in what may on quick view seem negative.
    Yuh eh tink so?

Me Agen

Me_Agen

Pangea, I understand what you are saying about the limited carnival time and the need to 'have' an album out every year...something that artiste of other genres with much more resources dont have to do.
    I think you make some very valid points too.
    However, have you ever looked at the positive side of this?
    If there wasnt any carnival, dont you think there would be less work and effort put into calypso/soca album production? And aren't you missing the dynamic of the year round carnivals in different islands and America?(As well as London)
    I remember someone saying on this forum what a great song 'Kim'(Wrong Name) was and another person replying that they thought that tune wasnt that hot. I didnt think so either because I had just heard it once and dismissed it. Now its one of my favorite soca tunes and it is burning up
    Trinidad THIS season even though it was released for Barbados cropover.
    "Footsteps' atually won a Barbados road march I recently read. This song was released for Trinidad carnival.
    Rupee is Hot Hot Hot Hot in Trinidad with his smash hit 'JUMP'which was not released for the Trinidad carnival season.
    By now you see what I am getting at.
    The carnival season is really year round, manifesting and reviving itself at differnt times in different places year round. Sometimes you have to take a broader perspective and look for the 'positive' in what may on quick view seem negative.
    Yuh eh tink so?

Me Agen

pangea

I think yuh hit the nail on the head!

The fact that Cropover is mid year, Rupie and TC are benefitting from this, that music was fresh for Labor Day, Miami, and now Trini much more longevity on the charts. I am not sure but maybe Barbados is different to Trinidad in that the music is played year round which is what we need.

My concern is probably more of a Trini thing as a lot of radio stations in Trini shut the music down right after carnival. Again, if all the artists releasing 100 CDs in December and January, yuh could understand why then that the radio not jamming soca year round, they have nothing new to play.

Ah gorn

Credits

RE: bwoy unu dumb as f*ck

barry, make some sense nuh man! The difference between reggae artists and the rest of the world is that reggae artists drop singles once every two or three months then throw everything on an album after two years and label it "new"! Besides, half the tunes reggae singers sing are taken from American artists anyhow. I love reggae, but it's the truth. Soca artists come out with a new ALBUM, every single year, nobody else does that because it's extremely hard to do and takes much more time and dedication to your art form!

barry

RE: bwoy unu dumb as f*ck

once every 2 or 3 months????????
    yu crazy!
    reggae artists or the serious ones in studio every day.
    beenieman had out like 70 tunes las year an dat was a slow year.
    dat is like 1.5 songs a week.
    we not talking bout dubplates which is more studio work an practise.
    so is a job.
    reggae artist sleep on the floor of studios to get an opportunity to record.
    dat is dedication an commitment.
    so to do a mediocre album once a year doan really impress me.
    man mus work.
    work is a duty.
    man mus struggle an strive.
    dat is why we different.
    we not waiting for no festival or carnival.
    everyday is a good day for a hit tune.
    one tune is not good for a whole year.
    cause 50 odda artist ready fi eat your food isf yu not delivering the hits.
    so until a man stop mek excuse an decide to work year round dere will be no real success.
    an doan talk bout economics an poverty.
    trinidad have a better economy dan jamaica rite now.
    so is laziness an lack of dedication.
    dat is the downfall of soca music.
    all the songs are about fete an carnaval.
    if yu were making music year round the artists would have to sing about love an crime an children an emotions an murder an all of reality.
    but if yu making music fi carnaval all yu will sing about is carnaval.

yu si mi.

bobwehadababyitsaboy

YES MASSIVE DE COMESS MAN HAD TO CHANGE MY NAME

Credits

BARRY, YOU HAVE A POINT, BUT.................................

U BETTAH STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHP YO FARM, CALLIN I-MAN A DUMB F*K. BWOY, A WAH FU BUN BLOODCLAT SO. BEKAH ME A SPELL FIRST WRANG.

PUTTING THE RESPONSIBILITY ON THE ARTISTS TO WORK HARD AND TO RESEARCH TO PRODUCE A "BETTER" PRODUCT DOES HOLD SOME MERIT I SUPPOSE. SHOWING SOME DEVOTED LOVE FOR THE MUSIC 24-7-365 OUGHT TO BE SOMETHING THAT BOTH ARTISTS (AND I SAY FANS TOO) OF THE MUSIC SHOULD SHOW TO SEE IT GROW AND DEVELOP CONTINUOUSLY.

I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS FAIR TO ASK THAT IF SOCA ARTISTS SHOULD BE LIKE OR DEVELOP AN APPROACH TO MUSIC LIKE JAMAICAN ARTIST.

NOW OF THE JAMAICAN ARTISTS YOU MENTION WHOM I GUESS ARE SUCCESSFUL THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS THAT SHOULD BE ASK.DO THESE ARTISTS WRITE THEIR OWN LYRICS FOR ALL OR ANY SONGS? DO THEY COMPOSE OR WRITE THE MUSIC FOR ANY OF THEIR SONGS? DO THEY ARRANGE ANY MUSIC FOR ANY OR ALL OF THEIR SONGS? ARE SOME OR ALL OF THEIR MUSIC DUBBED?

LATELY SOCA MUSIC HAS ENTERED THE DUBBING AREA. AND REMEMBER DEM JUST AH START FU DO'UM. FOR THE MOST PART SOCA MUSIC TENDS TO BE ORIGINAL. WE USUALLY DON'T DUB MUSIC FROM ABROAD AS MUCH AS REGGAE ARTIST. ALSO SOCA MUSIC TEMPO IS FAST AND ENERGETIC AND ITS HARD TO FIND MUSIC FROM ABROAD TO DUB WITH THAT TYPE OF ENERGY.

AND TO EXPAND MORE ON TEMPO, THIS IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCA AND REGGAE DANCEHALL. IN REGGAE/DANCEHALL THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERNCE IN TEMPO WHILE SOCA HAS A BROADER RANGE. AND FAST TEMPO SONG TAKES A LOT OF ENERGY FROM ARTISTS AND ESPECIALLY IF THEY MAKE THAT MUSIC FROM SCRATCH.

PERSONALLY, THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I THOUGHT SOME FAST SOCA MUSIC WAS CORNY AND FOOLISH. BUT ONE DAY I LISTEN THE MUSIC ITSELF AND RECOGNIZE IT FOR ITS ORIGINALITY.

PEACE.

AND BEHAVE AYU R*SS!