Thread: Caribbean Satellite Network

Credits

Caribbean Satellite Network

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-09-02 AT 01:18 PM (EST)]CSN, Does it still exist in any form? If not what happen to it? I remember this station was based out of Miami and available on various satellite networks. I used to flip back and forth between CSN and BET. They played soca, calypso, reggae, and contemporary African music videos and televised various carnivals. They interviewed artists and gave concert listings. They even advertised for Caribbean comedians and plays. I remember it ran sometime between 92 and 96. I don't know what happen but it went off the air from the satellite network. I wonder if it still play locally in Miami.

Credits

RE: Caribbean Satellite Network

When I left Jamaica in 94, it was still on...I used to be so hyped off dat station cause it was de second station we got in Jamaica!!

Topclassbubbla
    "Out of many, One People" - Jamaican Motto

Credits

...I NEVER HEARD OF THAT STATION BUT I HOPE IT STILL AROUND.ANYTHING TO HELP THE CAUSE!

Credits

It may have been around before 92...I forgot 92 was when my pops first bought the dish and I tuned in ever since then. I used to look forward during breaks from school to come home to watch.

engineroom

>CSN, Does it still exist in any form? If not what happen to
    >it? I remember this station was based out of Miami and
    >available on various satellite networks. I used to flip
    >back and forth between CSN and BET. They played soca,
    >calypso, reggae, and contemporary African music videos and
    >televised various carnivals. They interviewed artists and
    >gave concert listings. They even advertised for Caribbean
    >comedians and plays. I remember it ran sometime between 92
    >and 96. I don't know what happen but it went off the air
    >from the satellite network. I wonder if it still play
    >locally in Miami.

No they are long gone. If I remember correctly they didn't have a solid business model, and they weren't expanding their coverage successfully beyond people with dishes at home - they wanted to get on cable and such, but it was kind of before cable was prevalent in the Caribbean, and the didn't market well to cable companies in the US where they would have been appropriate, e.g. Miami, New York, etc.

They also had (IMHO) some programming issues - if you recall it was called "roots" music and they played a lot of crap (afro-pop, "world" music) that would only be associated with Caribbean music by foreign reggae fans on the hippie tip. A little too watered down sometimes. I actually have their original promo kit completely with video tape of the cable ad spots featuring Philip Michael Thomas!

When I was spinning at Lime Key oh those many years ago, CSN used to come on Friday nights sometimes and do a little live broadcast kind of like how Club MTV used to be - they had these two female VJs - I can't remember their names again but strictly from a male point of view they were oh so fine...

er

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-09-02 AT 03:43 PM (EST)]
    Thanks, I was wondering...felt like I got left hanging back then.
    Kinda disappointed now... maybe something else will come up.
    I was looking just now and found this lawyers website/bio....from the way he tells it, like he did it all by himself.....he even mention Phillip Michael Thomas...LOL

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/davekappesq/mybio.html

CSN--TV That Jams!

In October 1992, I met with a group of Caribbean businessmen who were attempting to build a television network in Miami, Florida. They were six weeks away from their already-announced launch date, but there were many problems. They had not yet produced any of their own programming for the network. They did not even have a promotional tape to send to advertisers, MSO’s or the press. They had not obtained releases for the small amount of programming they had acquired. Their technical facility was unfinished and worst of all -- even if it could be finished in time, they would be unable to broadcast because of difficulties both technical and legal. (They needed a miracle!) Missing their launch date would spell disaster and time was running out. What they needed was an experienced leader who could step into the situation and immediately turn things around.

One month before launch, I took charge of programming, production, operations and engineering and began to train a Caribbean crew (that had no commercial television experience) to become management of an internationally-viewed television network

During November of 1992 countless changes were made to insure that a quality broadcast would reach a vast audience:

"Miami Vice" Star and CSN spokesman Phlip Michael Thomas.

The first priority was to produced their desperately needed promotional tape. Construction of the flawed facility was halted. Inadequate satellite transponders were replaced with better ones. Uplink and downlink providers were replaced. An entirely different facility was found and then remodeled to provide production studio, tape library, master control, edit suites, multi-format tape transfers, computer graphics, outside broadcast trucks, emergency generator, uninterruptible power supply and offices. On-air talent, programming, studio, operations, editing, traffic and engineering staff were hired locally.

The “impossible” job of rescuing this network took only one month. Their production studio and operations center was completed in 15 days. Best of all, CSN, THE CARIBBEAN SATELLITE NETWORK was launched on-schedule on December 1, 1992. The network touched audiences in the Caribbean, the United States, Latin America, Northern South America and Southern Canada via the Hughes Galaxy III satellite. For the first time in history, the peoples of the Caribbean and their families living in the U.S. and Canada could share their music, news, culture, arts and political views on a hemispheric scale.

As Vice President, Broadcasting, my staff and I produced long-form features, sports, concerts and interviews to enhance a rock-steady diet of the best Reggae, Soca, Calypso, Zouk, Latin, and African/World music videos. Public affairs programs, live remote broadcasts and a live evening newscast were added soon after the launch. Innovative strategies to generate revenues were put in place. Commercial production services were provided for outside clients and CSN ad-sales clients alike, often as an incentive for Caribbean advertisers. An underground fiber optics studio-to-transmitter link was excavated in 1994. It was my dream job come true.

Credits

RE: Yellow Stryka

engineroom

in their dreams they ever wish it was all that.

a fabulous idea, but poorly executed at a number of levels.