Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribbean Perceptions of Southern and Northern Black Americans...

MJ7
    Credits

Question Caribbean Perceptions of Southern and Northern Black Americans...

There's something that I'm curious about. For those here who've had interaction with northern Black Americans and southern Black Americans, what has been your perceptions of the two cultures?

As a southerner, I can speak for the latter group. What is Southern Black Culture? To understand what it is, you must understand what it consists of: food, music, literature, art and visual images. Food is very important to us. It is the catalyst for many family gatherings and showing love and friendship to the community. The Delta birthed Black music. Everything from Blues, Jazz, R&B, Funk, originated in the south. The language of Black America comes from pain and triumph in this country. Our literature speaks of this. Black culture really is the inspiration of everything hip in America. Whatever is cool in Black America becomes the pop norm. Our originality and creativity has influenced everything from sports to fashion. How many records have been broken by Black Americans in various fields? Countless...but yet, we still feel we have to take it higher.

Our history as Black people begin in the south. The first Africans that came to America were at the Virginia colony of Jamestown in or around 1623 and they were listed as indentured servants. There were also free blacks, many of whom who had been assigned land. By 1640 however, the first slave is listed.

When I think about what it means to be a southerner, it is not the same as whites who also share southern heritage. The Africans that were slaves and those that were set free through the Emancipation Proclamation, have a unique journey that created today's Black Americans. The period after slavery, Reconstruction http: Black Reconstruction - THE INITIAL STAGES, BLACK POLITICAL POWER, THE END OF RECONSTRUCTION, LAYING THE FOUNDATION FOR FUTURE RESISTANCE gave birth to giants in African American history: Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Ida B. Wells, to name a few. through their hard work and sacrifices, as well as their noted accomplishments, this shaped and formed, not only what many AA consider the Black Indentity, but totally changed the way Black people would be viewed in America and around the world. It was the beginning of Black political power in America. The foundation for future resistance and triumph through the Civil Right's movement was set during this period.

To Learn African American history, you must begin in this period and move forward.

The Great Southern Migration brought Blacks from the south to many northern cities Digital History Those Southerners had a great impact on many cities in the north. At the beginning, Black southerners kept many of their southern traditions and generally, communities were extremely family oriented. However, through the problems of urban development and inner city life, there was a great disparity of not only cultural identity at times, but general attitudes and behavioral norms of those generations that came after their first descendants to the north.

Being from the Caribbean, and some being new to this country, what is your general view of both groups?
    Last edited by MJ7; 02-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

Credits
    I'm a black American, but I can tell you my perspective of the two groups.

Southern blacks are more aggressive while northern blacks are more passive.

Gladiator
    I hope you could make Gumbo since yuh love talk yes

Spranga
    yawl some grits eatin, shicken eatin ghetto mofos down thurr

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
    There's something that I'm curious about. For those hear who've had interaction with northern Black Americans and southern Black Americans, what has been your perceptions of the two cultures.

As a southerner, I can speak for the latter group. What is Southern Black Culture? To understand what it is, you must understand what it consists of: food, music, literature, art and visual images. Food is very important to us. It is the catalyst for many family gatherings and showing love and friendship to the community. The Delta birthed Black music. Everything from Blues, Jazz, R&B, Funk, originated in the south. The language of Black America comes from pain and triumph in this country. Our literature speaks of this. Black culture really is the inspiration of everything hip in America. Whatever is cool in Black America becomes the pop norm. Our originality and creativity has influenced everything from sports to fashion. How many records have been broken by Black Americans in various fields? Countless...but yet, we still feel we have to take it higher.

Our history as Black people begin in the south. The first Africans that came to America were at the Virginia colony of Jamestown in or around 1623 and they were listed as indentured servants. There were also free blacks, many of whom who had been assigned land. By 1640 however, the first slave is listed.

When I think about what it means to be a southerner, it is not the same as whites who also share southern heritage. The Africans that were slaves and those that were set free through the Emancipation Proclamation, have a unique journey that created today's Black Americans. The period after slavery, Reconstruction http: Black Reconstruction - THE INITIAL STAGES, BLACK POLITICAL POWER, THE END OF RECONSTRUCTION, LAYING THE FOUNDATION FOR FUTURE RESISTANCE gave birth to giants in African American history: Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Ida B. Wells, to name a few. through their hard work and sacrifices, as well as their noted accomplishments, this shaped and formed, not only what many AA consider the Black Indentity, but totally changed the way Black people would be viewed in America and around the world. It was the beginning of Black political power in America. The foundation for future resistance and triumph through the Civil Right's movement was set during this period.

To Learn African American history, you must begin in this period and move forward.

The Great Southern Migration brought Blacks from the south to many northern cities Digital History Those Southerners had a great impact on many cities in the north. At the beginning, Black southerners kept many of their southern traditions and generally, communities were extremely family oriented. However, through the problems of urban development and inner city life, there was a great disparity of not only cultural identity at times, but general attitudes and behavioral norms of those generations that came after their first descendants to the north.

Being from the Caribbean, and some being new to this country, what is your general view of both groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus_Supreme View Post
    Don't worry, 2moro is sunday....

MJ7 will be here, to make 2-3 controversial threads, so the Imix Piranhas' can feast on.

Colos'tradamus..........
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    You decide

Orlando Florida

Brooklyn

Credits
    I am relatively new to the U.S (a few years). I don't have much interaction with actual Black Americans for some reason I feel very uncomfortable around them. I dont really connect with them. Then a lot of Blacks in New York are not African American and not every Black person with an accent is African American so I cant tell the difference. However, I don't think I ever personally interacted with a Southern Black person, I know that Southern Blacks are different from the Northern/Western Blacks but they are all different from Caribbean people to me. Black Americans are more skeptical about race and racism, they tend to focus on race ALOT. I believe that slavery and Jim crow traumatised Black Americans to the point that they see race in everything. I also dislike the way they always idolize light skin to that level. I know West Indians have skin color issues but AA's don't really like dark skin at all. Another thing is that AA's are very closed minded in that they dont like to travel outside the U.S so their worldview is very limited. They have negative view of West Indians and Africans. All this is from observing and listening to different things they say but my experience is still limited so take this with a pinch of salt.

MJ7
    Credits

Cool Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    I'm a black American, but I can tell you my perspective of the two groups.

Southern blacks are more aggressive while northern blacks are more passive.
    That is very interesting.

In what way do you think southern Blacks are more aggressive? Do you mean in a good way?

Explain...
    Get your copy!!! A Journey Into The Mind of a Black Woman is now available at: https://www.createspace.com/3739335 and Amazon.com. Come check out my blog: The Uppity Sistah! at: http://theuppitysistah.blogspot.com/

MJ7
    Credits

Wink You hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    I hope you could make Gumbo since yuh love talk yes
    Yes, I can make Gumbo and a lot of other things.

You like southern cooking? It's very diverse, depending on the region.

MJ7
    Credits

Wink It Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by Spranga View Post
    yawl some grits eatin, shicken eatin ghetto mofos down thurr
    Some of us like comfort foods, but southern cooking is also varied and you really have to know "who can cook" in order to experience the great cooking that the south is known for.

Personally, I love my chicken baked. It's always a hit with family and friends.

Credits
    That is very interesting.

In what way do you think southern Blacks are more aggressive? Do you mean in a good way?

Explain...
    I don't want to speak in that kind of tone.

You know what I mean though.

Credits
    MJ7, to answer you question, listen to southern music and northern music. You will see the difference.

MJ7
    Credits

Cool Wait a Minute...

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    I am relatively new to the U.S (a few years). I don't have much interaction with actual Black Americans for some reason I feel very uncomfortable around them. I dont really connect with them. Then a lot of Blacks in New York are not African American and not every Black person with an accent is African American so I cant tell the difference. However, I don't think I ever personally interacted with a Southern Black person, I know that Southern Blacks are different from the Northern/Western Blacks but they are all different from Caribbean people to me. Black Americans are more skeptical about race and racism, they tend to focus on race ALOT. I believe that slavery and Jim crow traumatised Black Americans to the point that they see race in everything. I also dislike the way they always idolize light skin to that level. I know West Indians have skin color issues but AA's don't really like dark skin at all. Another thing is that AA's are very closed minded in that they dont like to travel outside the U.S so their worldview is very limited. They have negative view of West Indians and Africans. All this is from observing and listening to different things they say but my experience is still limited so take this with a pinch of salt.
    Gathering from what you said...if you don't interact with African Americans very much, how do you know African Americans don't travel much. I know many that do and have been to the Caribbean and Africa.

You really need to visit Atlanta and other parts of the south.

Many people that I know who've visited the south have stated how similar Black southerners are to people on the islands.

We are a diverse people and I do agree that we focus on race and racism a lot. But that is because race and racism built America and this did in many ways traumatize Black people in the U.S., but it also helped motivate us to make history.

MJ7
    Credits

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    MJ7, to answer you question, listen to southern music and northern music. You will see the difference.
    I still don't follow you, Opt.

Credits
    Gathering from what you said...if you don't interact with African Americans very much, how do you know African Americans don't travel much. I know many that do and have been to the Caribbean and Africa.

You really need to visit Atlanta and other parts of the south.

Many people that I know who've visited the south have stated how similar Black southerners are to people on the islands.

We are a diverse people and I do agree that we focus on race and racism a lot. But that is because race and racism built America and this did in many ways traumatize Black people in the U.S., but it also helped motivate us to make history.
    He has a point.

* 25%: “75% of Americans don’t own a passport”
    * 22%: “just 22% of Americans own a passport”
    * <20%: “less than 20% of all Americans own a passport”
    * 15%: “85 percent of Americans do not own a passport”
    * 10%: “only 10 percent of US citizens *ever* own a passport”
    * <10%: “fewer than 10 percent own a passport”
    * 7%: “only seven percent of Americans own a passport”

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast