Thread: Caribbean people, products of the consumer culture?

renegade

Caribbean people, products of the consumer culture?

Consumerism is the american way do you feel people of caribbean descent have taken on this consumerist way of life?
    Do they take it further than the typical american?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade View Post
    Consumerism is the american way do you feel people of caribbean descent have taken on this consumerist way of life? Do they take it further than the typical american?
    Depends on the individual. Some people bring that mentality with them from the Caribbean, and it just increases when living here. I think that environment can have lot to do with it as well...

renegade
    Quote Originally Posted by currygyal View Post
    Depends on the individual. Some people bring that mentality with them from the Caribbean, and it just increases when living here. I think that environment can have lot to do with it as well...
    I'm looking for broad generalities here.
    Do you find caribbean people or people from specific islands to be ahem thrifty?
    Or do they spend exorbitant amounts of money on baubles?

Credits
    I'm looking for broad generalities here.
    Do you find caribbean people or people from specific islands to be ahem thrifty? Or do they spend exorbitant amounts of money on baubles?
    Honestly, I cannot generalize. The Caribbean people who I see around me in the D.C. area tend to work hard and make sacrifices to live well and to help family. The church I attend is largely of Caribbean descent and full of successful professionals. Now whether were and/or still are thrifty, who knows. Now for some of us who live in the NYC area, I tend to see a bit of a difference. There are plenty who are like those described above. But there are some who seem to be consumers to the extent that they do themselves an injustice, and create bigger obstacles for themselves than existing ones. That may have something to do with the environment in NYC.

But again, that is very much based on my personal idea of thrifty living. I cannot break it down country-wise as again, it varies depending on the individual.

Taj
    Credits
    Consumerism is the american way do you feel people of caribbean descent have taken on this consumerist way of life?
    Do they take it further than the typical american?
    If the goods were easier to access then it would be more widespread

eg if there were the big chain stores yes
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    It seems that a lot of people like name brand goods and this
    goes way back. Here's the Roaring Lion singing about what he's
    going to do with his money.
    Think For Yourself