Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean Music

Credits

Caribbean Music

Just looking at the dialogue that is going on in the post for Road March I have to ask this questions: Why is it that other Caribbean Islands feel that their music have to be recognized or accepted by Trinidad? I'm not trying to start any controversies but I don't understand this. I think Trinis are appreciative of all music but it is not our responsibility to nuture other people's music. Can someone please explain this to me.

Credits

RE: Caribbean Music

uhm hmmmm, ah see everybody quiet now.

God Bless!

Credits

perhaps because it is said that trinidad is the only country that produces real soca/calypso music and maybe some artists from other countries hold this thought as true so the rely on trinidadian opinions when they bring out new music...it all comes down to acceptance which every soca/calypso artist wants

SEXY G.T. QUEEN

BajanFete

I don't know what your talking about, I've stated this point before other islands don't need to be recognized in trinidad but its certain trinis who believe this. I used to have the arguement time and time again before Islandmix re-did backchat. One man who love to eat dough filled with curry products was one believer of that but he had the upmost respect from me because he never tried to belittle me when I had this arguement or anyone who did. And if he did try he would stay on poitn and not change up and said he wasn't attacking.

Credits

Yuh know I hear de same sentiments all de time at Trinis don't appreciate other peoples music... I have family members dat does go to Carnival in Trinidad every year and I hear my own Trini people say that at Carnival time deh doh want to hear anybody else music..... It has to do with ignorance... How many people does really go to other island's carnival, and understand the little idiosyncies of other island's culture??? Not many people.... That is where de ignorance stem from. I remember going to de Bahamas one year and jumping in a junkanoo and singing Bahamian music.... and appreciating it. People does say de love soca music and deh want to listen tuh soca, but when yuh check it out deh only know a handful ah bands or artist from one or two islands...

Open yuh mind and de rest will follow....

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 12:27 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 12:26 PM (EST)[/font]

Is Socaq trying to say that in order for soca/calypso to be considered good, it must first be accepted my Trinidadians? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard! Who gave Trinis that authority. Soca may have started in Trinidad (and I am not sure if this is true) but the other islands have greatly influenced this genre of music. And when they make music, they don't cater specifically to trinis, they make the music they want and feel that their people will enjoy. Not to please trinis, but to please all people on a whole. It just so happens, that because a lot of islands make good music, trinis have no choice but to accept it as such- like it or not.

Credits

You not sure if soca made in Trinidad, girl relax yourself yes, allyuh really getting ahead ah yuhselves, Ras Shorty was the man who"created" soca. Do your research and you 'll find that out. Most of allyuh now start listening to soca in the last 5-10 years and allyuh feel you could say who made what and where it came from, give me a break. Trinidad's Carnival culture is over approximately 200 years old, so please take it easy with ridiculous comments.

God Bless!

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-01 AT 01:33 PM (EST)[/font][p]ALot of people feel that we Trinis does only want to hear we own music and praise we own artist. This is simply not true. Almost every active Trini on this site have said they are in love with Lyttle's "Turn Me On"!!!, for example.

Also if yuh go to any fete/show/party/whatever and hear a Trini brass band, them always singing other artist songs from other countries. Xtatik does incorporate "Jump", "Romans", "Bam Bam", "Ole Woman Alone", "Hot and Groovy", etc in their routine. Now tell me when yuh ever hear Krosfyah or Square One singing "Tay Lay Lay" or "Accident".

My opinion, Trinis are open to hearing all types of soca/calypso (damn it we are the mother's of the genre of soca music) during we own Carnival time. I hear in Barbados, dem only playing Bajan music on the radio!?! Nuff times I hear Mr. Adrian Don Mora on 96.1 morning show playing all hot up tunes from all over.

And yes Bronwskin is right, Ras Shorty (RIP), started the soca, as Machel say "HE was the first winer man"!

Peace and Love
    missing Wayne Rodriguez :-(

Credits

PEOPLE, YOU ARE DISTURBING ME. I GON BE CAREFUL WITH MY COMMENTS BECAUSE AH FEEL AH GON STEP ON PEOPLE TOES.

SOME OF US TEND TO CHAT ABOUT THINGS

THE SOCA THAT RAS SHORTY CREATED AND THE SOCA IS BEING PLAYED TODAY IS TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS. TRINI ARTISTS HAVE USED INFLUENCES FROM THE OTHER ISLANDS RECENTLY. I DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD EVEN CALL IT SOCA ANYMORE BECAUSE IT AINT-AT LEAST NOT WHAT RAS SHORTY CREATED. YOU ARE HEARING ALOT INFLUENCES FROM SPOOGE FROM BARBADOES, BENNA FROM ANTIGUA, CADANCE FROM DOMINICA, ZOUK FROM THE FRENCH ISLANDS.

I MEAN NO DISRESPECT, BUT YOU THINK IF TRINIDAD WAS ONLY PRODUCING THE SLOW SOCA MUSIC OF THE 70'S AND 80'S TODAY, IT WOULDN'T STAND A CHANCE AGAINST SOME OF THE OTHER ISLANDS ESPECIALLY OUTSIDE OF TRINIDAD.

I AM STATING THIS TO SAY NONE OF OUR ISLANDS IS A NATION ONTO ITSELF. WE ALL INFLUENCE EACH OTHER. NONE OF US HAVE ANY SUPERIORITY IN OUR MUSIC OVER ANOTHER ISLAND.

IF ANY TRINI TELL ME THAT THEIR MUSIC IS BEST, I WILL EITHER LAUGH HYSTERICALLY OR UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS A STATEMENT OF NATIONAL PRIDE, BUT DEFINITELY NOT ONE OF OBJECTIVITY.

BUT TRINIS, YOU ARE LARGE AND IN-CHARGE. BUT ITS JUST THAT SOME OF YOU (AND I THINK ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF YOU) HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MUSIC LIES BEYOND YOUR NATIONAL PRIDE.

Credits

AND REGARDLESS WHAT YOU THINK OF ME AH STILL LOVE ALLYUH!

Credits

if you check your history you will see soca was started by Ras Shorty.That is not the point, music going to evole and yes you might hear a rhythm from somplace else and encorporate it into you music.

I have never been to any other country carnival but I know if they have a big song you going to hear it in trinidad

you think when burning flames did work and swinging engine and others and they come down to trinidad we didn't jump to them... or Mac fingal big belly man, Xplosion band from St marteen..why your hornin meh.....Bud man ah bad......Red plastic bag..volcanoe ...rupie jump and when tallpree was mashing down trinidad with ole woman alone....we was appreciating all of it. Dam even Square 1 is come down and be on the road with legends and we showing love.

but just remember soca is soca nomatter and we here to big it up
    so if you country have a big song they have a big song

soca for life

Credits

I AM NOT SAYING THAT TRINIS DON'T APPRECIATE BIG TUNES FROM THE OTHER ISLANDS.

AND I KNOW THAT RAS SHORTY I CREATED WHAT IS CALLED "SOCA"

BUT IF YOU COMPARE WHAT HE CREATED AND MOST OF THE MUSIC WE CALLED SOCA TODAY WE HAVE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS IN MANY CASES. AND SOME OF THIS HAS TO DO WITH INFLUENCES OUTSIDE TRINIDAD WHETHER ITS THE OTHER ISLANDS OR THE US MAINLAND ITSELF.

MY INTENTIONS IS NOT TO TAKE ANYTHING FROM TRINIDADIANS BUT TO SHOW YOU THAT OUTSIDE FORCES PLAYED PART IN THE MUSIC YOU ARE PRODUCING TODAY.

AND I STILL LOVE ALLYUH.

ONE PEOPLE, ONE CARIBBEAN!

Credits

EACH ISLAND THAT HAVE A CARNIVAL HAS A ROADMARCH WHICH IS A BIG TUNE OF THAT ISLAND. KNOW ALL THESE TUNES ARE NOT POPULAR OR BIG TUNES IN TRINIDAD.

FOR EXAMPLE, BELLY WHICH WAS THE ROADMARCH FOR ANTIGUA LAST YEAR WAS NOT A BIG TUNE IN TRINIDAD BUT IT WAS POPULAR IN THE OTHER LEEWARD ISLANDS.

IN THE LEEWARDS, MOST ISLANDS WE MIGHT GET OF THE BIG TUNES OF OTHER ISLANDS AND STILL GET A TASTE OF THE BIG TUNES OF TRINIDAD.
    THAT WAY WE GET A TASTE OF HOW THE MUSIC OF EACH ISLAND IS LIKE
    INCLUDING TRINIDAD.

DO TRINIS HAVE PRIVILEDGE TO THAT VARIETY?

DO SOME TRINIS STILL HAVE THAT "INSIDE OF A BOX MENTALLY" MEANING THAT "WE HAVE EVERYTHING NEED TO MAKE THIS MUSIC THE BEST IN THE WORLD AND DON'T NEED ANY IDEAS FROM OUTSIDE WE ISLAND?

AND REMEMBER, I STILL LOVE ALLYUH.

ONE CARIBBEAN, ONE PEOPLE, ONE DESTINY!

Credits

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 10:01 AM (EST)[/font][p]Why are people under the impression that Trinidadians do not want or appreciate other island's musical contributions in our carnival or in our society period? I'm sorry but I cannot see anyone's point that we do not allow outside influences or do not welcome it. Trinidadians are very open people- we incorporate everyone in our culture. You have to remember that there are people who are now "Trinidadians" who came from other islands and I am sure that one way or the other they have influenced the "Trini" culture. What I think is going on is the continuation of the "bash Trinis" mentality. It is not our responsibility to nuture any other Caribbean artist- but we do! When I hear announcements for Dominican, St. Lucian, Antiguan, St. Thomian, Grenadian or any other island party I do hear Trinidadian artists on the bill. Are Trinidadians upset by this- no- because everyone is entitled to promote their own music and culture. Why should we not be allowed the same?

The artists from the other islands have to be happy first and foremost with the product that they are putting out. Secondly, their people should welcome and accept their products. If it is accepted by other islands that's great but not necessarily important. If artists are making music to be played and accepted in Trinidad then they have a problem.

18425 NW 2 Ave #335 Miami Gardens, Fl 33169
    Credits

FOXY BROWN/ALISON HINDS at OPA LOCKA Oct6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast