Thread: The Caribbean influence on hip-hop

Credits

The Caribbean influence on hip-hop

I been pushing allyuh to by a friend's book, Gunshots in My Cook-Up: Bits and Bites of a Caribbean/Hip-hop Experience. Well, he's coming to the bay area next week (Feb 19-23rd) to read at a ton of places, but here's the outline of his talk for the Stanford Caribbean Students Association (will try to tape the readings so some of you may consider bringing him to your school/town):

Essentially, i'm going to talk about about cultural morphing, the shaping and transforming effect that distinct culture's exert on each other, specifically in the case of hip-hop's evolution and the heavy caribbean migration in the New York of the 80s. I'm fascinated by the way young caribbean immigrants and the first generation American kids of Caribbean parentage both shaped hip-hop, and were in turn shaped by it. We'll cover such specific territory as Flatbush Brooklyn as a prime site of cultural morphing and the interplay between such cultural norms as language, dress, and music. We'll also travel to Caribbean locales [like Haiti where i spent a fascinating week with the Fugees in 1997] and look at their own morphing/incorporation of hip-hop into the cultural makeup. It should be an entertaining, colorful, and informative chat, filled with lots of anecdotes and first hand observations!

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    I love that book, I have to outline certain stuff to make many people understand the media, music and the influences that is affect music today...I want to know the many artists today and their backgrounds, people assume that they're all American when in fact they're not! thanks for the info

STICKMAN
    many people dont wanna admit this or don't know but the man credited with starting the whole hiphop movement was from Jamaica.... DJ Kool Herc was the first one to push 2 turn tables together to mix and blend 2 records together to extend 1 part of a song... which essentially what sampling is... he is also the first person to get on the mic and start saying little rhymes to hype the crowd up at parties while DJing and these little rhymes became extended until eventually they were full songs. and then you got Rap songs... The whole rap movement is a mirror to the whole dancehall culture that comes from Jamaica where you would have selectors selecting tunes to play while a man talk the mic to hype the crowd up in a dance until you had a whole new music being done in this style while artists does dubs for an individual set to hype a crowd up... thats where Kool Herc got the idea to say rhymes on the mic over the music....

Credits
    If he's from the Bronx, I think Selwyn talks about him in his book.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    yeah he does: or like did yu know that Rakim heard is of Haitian parentage!