Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The caribbean disdain for haitians

Credits

The caribbean disdain for haitians

I am so beyond annoyed that caribbean nations (especially the Bahamas) has such a disdain for the Haitian community.

Backstory:

So there is to be a referendum over here (Bahamas) to decide if they want to allow women to be able to transfer their nationality to their kids.........

Pretty much as a Bahamian woman unless I have my child for a Bahamian man and/or in the Bahamas in order for my child to have a chance to even be a Bahamian, where as no matter where in the world the child is born if the father is Bahamian the child is automatically Bahamian. Also a Bahamian man can get married to a foreign woman and she can get citizenship however its not the same for women............

So I was discussing this with a lady who works in my dads office so she said "I ga vote no because these haitian man ga marry you and then when they get straight leave you and get they haitian woman from haiti to give her citizen ship, and they done takin over and I ain wan no lil haiti"

That then turned into a conversation about Haitians and her saying that they come here and take over and they are trying to take over our country...........So I say that Bahamians just hate haitians and no matter what is said anything that is done they find a problem.......she then says "looka them gettin car and nice cars at that" so I ask her so they are not supposed to get a car? so her response is "they need to do all of this in haiti" I then said "they come here for a better way of life.....if you were to move to the states for a better way of life would you not get a car?" she then says "its not the same because I am not a burden to the states" I then realized that in general we just look at haitians as less than and like savages like they are supposed to live nastily for decades.

I personally try to be sympathetic and empathetic to those especially those who have had a hard life. I just as a human feel so bad that we talk about and treat each other with such disdain and hatred.

I needed a little rant but we can discuss further

Credits
    Yep disgusting dais is how people iz....

Credits
    the haitians are the mexicans of the caribbean...the economy already so hard and people will always go where it have work.
    bahamaberry and mz_JazE like this.

Credits
    So how this situation qualifies as Caribbean hate of Haitians? It's simply a situation of native vs immigrant and it happens in all countries in the world.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    So how this situation qualifies as Caribbean hate of Haitians? It's simply a situation of native vs immigrant and it happens in all countries in the world.
    ding ding ding, they probably say the same about Jamaicans

Credits
    True on some level about native vs immigrant
    But I've heard others including st Lucian's target Haitians in more disparaging way
    I think there have been negative images of Haiti.....
    From hearing stuf like " the poorest country in Western Hemisphere"
    The practice of voodoo , the aids crisis and the boat people ......
    LIONESS onda RISE and mz_JazE like this.

Credits
    I can tell you that Haitians are a proud people
    So they rise above the negativity
    I. Think it's more of. Poor reflection on the people the op described

Credits
    I think it's because she assumes the rest of the Caribbean sees Haitians in this manner. But like Oneshot said, it happens in every country. We don't feel that way about Haitians, though with the influx of Trinis to the US they might bring back some hate. However, similar things are said to the Guyanese. And the Guyanese suffer in Barbados along with the yaadies.

Trinis love reggae and dancehall too much to do that to any yaadies.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    True on some level about native vs immigrant
    But I've heard others including st Lucian's target Haitians in more disparaging way
    I think there have been negative images of Haiti.....
    From hearing stuf like " the poorest country in Western Hemisphere"
    The practice of voodoo , the aids crisis and the boat people ......
    How is SLU's view on Haitian is different from native vs immigrant? Same shit.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    How is SLU's view on Haitian is different from native vs immigrant? Same shit.

In st lucia we talk about dem " collie Guyanese" that come on
    And I remember when the plan was to bring Haitians.
    U should hear the opposition
    Like op I heard people talk about " Haitians " and thinking too
    Dayum dats phucked up

And Americans talk about us from the Caribbean that way too

Look how they talk about Mexicans. We ain't much different lol
    And we talk about he Mexicans too
    Like we ain't dem
    Because we came on Bwia
    bahamaberry likes this.

Credits
    Because I have heard many caribbean people talk bad about haitians............not to mention the situation with them in the Dominican Republic............

This is for those asking about it being a caribbean thing...........

plus in the OP I stated especially the Bahamas
    Lucianite likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    ding ding ding, they probably say the same about Jamaicans
    actually not so much, Jamaicans are much more embraced here than Haitians......you have some older set of Bahamians who think negatively about Jamaicans but not so much the younger set whereas a resounding young and old have a disdain for Haitians

Credits
    I was just going to make a thread today about how Haitian man so bumbohole liyad....lol.
    you ALL AGREE with my opinion, which is why NONE of you ever EFFECTIVELY DISPUTE IT

you ONLY have faith in the WOMEN'S ability to ELEVATE which is why you only FOCUS ON WOMEN...you ALL have long given up on Black men

you just don't have the BALLS to OVERTLY AGREE....rather just do it INDIRECTLY

weak men only can deal with weaker women

in the presence of strength you diminish...

Credits
    "my island is better than your island, so stay off" - is the mentality

it happens in every country...however....given that most people's situations are better than what's going on in haiti, people tend to act as if they are better people ( on the inside i'm taking about ), than haitians, as if haitians are bad people.

it's just like how some rich people look down at the poor
    or how some whiter people look down at darker people

we all do it...we all guilty, it's all wrong.....and im tired and can't belive i'm postin on islandmix when i got work to do.
    http://www.CaribKaraoke.com

Credits
    My entire family on my dads side always bad talks Haitians saying they're haunted people and full of jumbie and crosses and want nothing to do with them. They thought I was crazy for dating a Haitian girl. They're all from the NYC/NJ area so they had a lot more dealings with Hatians whereas despite my city being a mecca for West Indians there are hardly any Haitians living here so my experiences were solely through her regarding Haitians.

Personally despite their hardships they'll always have my respect historically for having the balls to fight a European colonial power for their independence while the rest of us had to wait til European colonial powers were weakened by WWII to peacefully get ours well over 100 years later.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast