Credits

Post Caribbean Cultural Center

http://caribecenter.org

Anyone ever heard of this? Check out the events:

May 10, 2005 • 7 pm
    Hirshhorn Museum, 800 Independence Ave. SW,
    Washington, D.C.

The Anacostia Museum presents “When the Spirits Dance Mambo”
    A film screening, presentation and book signing at the Smithsonian’s museum of international modern and contemporary art. For information and reservations, call 202.287.2282 or contact amrsvp@si.edu.
    FREE

May 14, 2005 • 12 noon
    Caribbean Cultural Center, 408 W. 58th St.

Iya Day
    Honor mothers with a musical celebration featuring music by DJ David Medina. Aveda pampering sessions will be raffled.
    Admission: $5 CCC members/$10 non-members

May 17, 2005 • 6:30 pm

Discussion: Congo Traditions
    With panelists Dr. Marta Moreno Vega, John Thornton and C. Daniel Dawson
    Admission: $5 CCC members/$8 non-members

May 18, 2005 • 6 pm
    Nubian Heritage Harlem, 2037 Fifth Ave. (@125th St.)

Orisha 101
    An introductory seminar tracing the journey of Yoruba traditions from West Africa to the Americas, with Dr. Marta Moreno Vega and Paulo Bispo. For information,contact Malaika Lee Whitney, 212.427.8999. FREE

May 26, 2005 • 6:30 pm

Discussion: Hip Hop, Orisha and Activism
    Panelists Marinieves Alba, Lumumba Bandele, Yesenia Selier and Ariel Fernandez review how the Orisha tradition influences hip hop generation activists.
    Admission: $5 CCC members/$8 non-members

June 11, 2005 • 12 noon

Baba Day
    Honor fathers with a musical celebration featuring music by DJ David Medina. Dinners at the Flame Restaurant will be raffled.
    Admission: $5 CCC members/$10 non-members

July 19-21, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico and Caribbean African Cultural Legacy Conference
    A conference exploring the African legacy of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Call 212.307.7420, ext. 3008 for information.
    FREE

August 21, 2005 • 7 pm

Lincoln Center North Plaza
    Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival International Hip Hop Exchange: The Underground Vanguard
    A hip hop concert featuring artists from Africa, Puerto Rico and Brazil. Call 212.875.5151 for information.
    FREE
    West Indian T-shirts & More: www.wiCulture.com
    Like it on Facebook: facebook.com/wiculturetees

Credits

Red face

*Okay, I just noticed all the events listed have passed, but anyway...looks interesting.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by n00ner
    *Okay, I just noticed all the events listed have passed, but anyway...looks interesting.
    lol...was just about to say "did you look at the dates?"

Anyways...this is right around the corner from me, didn't even know that it existed.

Credits
    Thanks for the information. I'm definitely going to check it out.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    lol...was just about to say "did you look at the dates?"

Anyways...this is right around the corner from me, didn't even know that it existed.
    Well they are sponsoring a Latin Music Collector's Fair this Saturday at St. Paul's Church (Columbus Ave). It's not on the site though. I got the info from somewhere else which is how I found this site in the first place.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    There's actually one in New York City... I spoke with the founder of the center Marta Moreno Vega.. such a beautiful person... I was there not too long ago and I want to pay a visit to check out a documentary.

You may want to include this part here:
    The Franklin H. Williams Caribbean Cultural Center / African Diaspora Institute is a not for profit, multi-disciplinary cultural arts organizations named in honor of the late Franklin H. Williams, ambassador to Ghana and who served as the second president of the Board of the Caribbean Cultural Center. Founded in 1976 by Marta Moreno Vega, Ph.D. and now president of the Board, Dr. Vega’s aim in creating this institution was to provide accurate historical information on the cultures, art and belief systems of African and their descendants. Our mission is to identify, compile and disseminate information on the creative expressions and rich cultural contributions of people of African descent, internationally. The Center continues to document, promulgate and promote the global impact of African cultures through its programming that includes: concerts, exhibitions, lectures, cultural arts in education school programs, international festivals and conferences.

The Caribbean Cultural Center will mark its 25th Silver Anniversary in 2001. With a yearlong celebration planned the Center will continue its format of presenting innovative artistic and cultural programming that focuses on the experiences of Africans and their descendants.

The Caribbean Cultural Center houses a resource and research center, an art gallery, and an international gift shop that features books, music and video recordings, handcrafted jewelry, instruments and other authentic art from throughout the African Diaspora.