Thread: The Caribbean community and its weak work ethic

Credits

The Caribbean community and its weak work ethic

I realize that as an outsider who's new to the whole HIV/AIDS debate who's proposing a project as wide and deep as phiva.net there may be some hesitation on the part of Caribbean organizations to respond, but god bleh....I did not think it would be this hard to get people to fill out one lil survey that could bring resources and funds their way...it's not like I writing proposals to compete with them for any funding and it's not like any of them have anything this extensive in the works.

So, I've been in touch with local organizations, regional organizations like CARICOM (their dep sec general actually), head of the Barbados Aids Commission, CAREC (thankfully one of their staff...who happens to be Canadian has responded positively with the information), PANCAP, the head of the Jamaican Youth Commission or something like that....I mean they all got my emails and all I get is: we'll fill it out and get back to you. It's been 3 weeks now.

So I decided to write the funding agencies, the USAID, the UNFPA etc etc. And why is it that these white people can respond faster, help me quicker than my own community?

Phia.net

Credits
    I don't see anything in your post justifying your indictment of "the caribbean community and it's weak work ethic". You can rail at the apparent apathy and the ease with which they allow themselves to be distracted from something you feel passionately about, but such a blanket statement is very nettlesome...say nothing about misleading.

That said, I'm with you on more needing to be done in the caribbean/caribbean community vis-a-vis HIV/AIDS education/treatment/outreach. Our best efforts will never be enough, but we should still be making the attempt and that we're not doing.

My sense is that the non-black/non-Caribbean community has already gotten past the stigma and stereotype surrounding the disease, where as we collectively conspire to remain "in the closet" to borrow a phrase and with the exception of some scientists and grass-root level activists, we sweep the issue under our rugs in the hopes that it will just disappear...as we continue to look over, beyond, past, around and through the bodies that continue to drop 'like flies' before our very eyes.

Credits
    Originally posted by Bake 'N Shark
    I don't see anything in your post justifying your indictment of "the caribbean community and it's weak work ethic". You can rail at the apparent apathy and the ease with which they allow themselves to be distracted from something you feel passionately about, but such a blanket statement is very nettlesome...say nothing about misleading.

That said, I'm with you on more needing to be done in the caribbean/caribbean community vis-a-vis HIV/AIDS education/treatment/outreach. Our best efforts will never be enough, but we should still be making the attempt and that we're not doing.

My sense is that the non-black/non-Caribbean community has already gotten past the stigma and stereotype surrounding the disease, where as we collectively conspire to remain "in the closet" to borrow a phrase and with the exception of some scientists and grass-root level activists, we sweep the issue under our rugs in the hopes that it will just disappear...as we continue to look over, beyond, past, around and through the bodies that continue to drop 'like flies' before our very eyes.

DITTO!

Credits
    Ok, so we disagree on my blanket statement. Yeah, the Americans may have gotten past stigma and have more resources, but I think if you are a public serving organization and someone requests information about your organization and your projects that should be delivered...especially if you claim to be a non-governmental entity and more so if you are a Ministry of Health and you have a website and put info up!!! So, it's not just that my lickle survey ain't get filled in (quite frankly I doubt they have a clue about which entertainers or promoters can have an effect), it's more that requested information that these people are supposed to provide does not get delivered...the Americans on the otherhand...that's a service that they give. Organizations in the C'bbean operate with no belief in accountability. That's the problem really.

I must say that CAREC has been very helpful with explaining statistics and I'm waiting on their 2003 tally. Some Jamaican organizations have also been responsive (JAS, Ministry of Health).

Credits
    Ok, Just got a response from A Guyanese NGO: Lifeline Counselling Services. Helps that I wrote a letter to the newspaper that was printed today I guess. Statement being retracted.

Credits
    Originally posted by sanfranjouvay
    Ok, Just got a response from A Guyanese NGO: Lifeline Counselling Services. Helps that I wrote a letter to the newspaper that was printed today I guess. Statement being retracted.
    Lol...as with anything sometimes yuh juss ha' tuh find ah way ah lighting ah fire under dey azz. We need alternative motivation sometimes...

btw...your 'blanket statement' was the only thing I disagree with, I definitely feel you on your committment to making a difference in this area.

Solidarity
    Originally posted by Bake 'N Shark
    Lol...as with anything sometimes yuh juss ha' tuh find ah way ah lighting ah fire under dey azz. We need alternative motivation sometimes...

btw...your 'blanket statement' was the only thing I disagree with, I definitely feel you on your committment to making a difference in this area.
    she's nothing short of a goddess

Credits
    boy i knew there was a reason i come on here today. someone just wrote me that flattery will get you everywhere!!

Solidarity
    Originally posted by sanfranjouvay
    boy i knew there was a reason i come on here today. someone just wrote me that flattery will get you everywhere!!
    so wha yuh sayin...woman of immeasurable beauty, engineer extraordinaire, deliverer of truth, builder of movements, & back-breaking, pelvis-pleasing wynah gyal...huh, wha yuh sayin?

joon-yah
    i didnt bother reading your post . . . its too long. but going by your subject. caribbean people are actually hard workers . unlike many other immigrants, we work to esimilate into society and actually become professionals at our tasks, resulting in the US benefiting from us. unlike many hispanics in my community who cant even speak english, and arent doing much to learn it.