Thread: Caribana Belongs to We

Credits

Caribana Belongs to We

Please share this, if you care to:

I am aware the festival cannot run on sentiment or a sense of Diaspora Caribbean culture. However I do not believe I should be silent while my festival is appropriated and mis-branded.

Whatever fight the Caribana Arts Group has with the Festival Management Committee and the City of Toronto will be heard in the court of law. I have no control there. I was a member of the Caribana Cultural Committee around 1989-1994 and saw the cronyism and ugliness and I laughed. I thought it was funny. I dismissed it as a few greedy, shortsighted people messing around with my one day jump-up. I will take the blame for not speaking louder against the mess that accompanied each festival over the later years when I developed a voice as a journalist in the community. I still did not fully grasp that it was more than a few greedy people and that my one day jump-up was turning over hundreds of millions of dollars to the various levels of governments, the hotels, the restaurants, the taxis and all who were at the trough.

I feel raped when I think of the money the government hands over to the festival then turns around and claws back in fees for permits, police and other items so that what they boast of “giving” the festival is far far less than the reality. It means that I am wearing the Emperor’s New Clothes - even less than the beads and underwear that now pass for costumes.

So, despite our world renowned reputation for having a carnival mentality and for being only intelligent enough to lime and drink, I am protesting the insult in this, my 44th Caribana – yes CARIBANA, festival.

I am going to wear a shirt saying Caribana Belongs to We. It may do nothing more than earn me a dismissive glance from those who feel the dollar they give in sponsorship of my culture somehow gives them the right to own something that my ancestors created, but...

If you wish to get a tee shirt, email me at Macoomeh@hotmail.com. The shirt cost me about $6.50 to prepare. It will cost you $6.50 plus postage. My profit is zero, my determination is 100%. I would like to get the shirt in your hands before the official festival launch date of July 12th. I would like you to wear it everywhere you go this summer – every launch, every fete, every boat-ride. You do not have to be in Toronto to wear it.

Wear it and when people ask, explain why. You have a voice, use it for more than singing “Wotless”.

Tell them call meh name. I go take de blame.

The shirts will be ready this Friday, June 17th. Order them now. I have large and XLarge only.

The shirts say "Caribana Belongs to We".

Let's see if we're really only about the party.

Credits
    here here

Credits
    all them carnival type ting belong to we...

Credits
    who city u in?

Credits
    Toronto...
    That's where Caribana is held.
    8-)

Credits
    When dem gwine have J'Ouvert?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicangirl View Post
    When dem gwine have J'Ouvert?
    we already have

Credits
    The tee shirts are now all sold out. If you still want one, let me know. If I get orders for at least 10 more, I will order another 20 so that you get the same price!
    I know we can do this!
    Caribana Belongs to WE!!

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    wuss-up with the carnival committee in Canada last year carifete was cancel in the west-Indian in Montreal had to go court and fight for there carnival now across the other providence to Toronto there going thru the same sh't.........the Canadians don't want see us celebrate our culture-smh
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    Haitian Prince,

It's my opinion that while they don't want the 'real' celebration, they do want the 450 million dollars of income and for that reason only, Caribana will be allowed to live.