Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canibal scene irks natives

Credits

Canibal scene irks natives

Arghh! Thar be controversy brewin' ahead, me hearties.

The brain trust behind Walt Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean sequel now shooting on location is taking heat from an indigenous leader over a scene in which Johnny Depp's swashbuckling hero Captain Jack Sparrow gets roasted on a spit.

check the rest of the story at

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by passy
    Arghh! Thar be controversy brewin' ahead, me hearties.

The brain trust behind Walt Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean sequel now shooting on location is taking heat from an indigenous leader over a scene in which Johnny Depp's swashbuckling hero Captain Jack Sparrow gets roasted on a spit.

check the rest of the story at

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

Look like one man is just complaining, the chief.

But despite his objections, he was overruled by the council in January. Many fellow Caribs say the film shoot is a boost to the local economy, which suffers 70 percent unemployment.

When 70 percent of your people are unemployed, you should be doing more productive things with your time.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutty
    Look like one man is just complaining, the chief.

But despite his objections, he was overruled by the council in January. Many fellow Caribs say the film shoot is a boost to the local economy, which suffers 70 percent unemployment.

When 70 percent of your people are unemployed, you should be doing more productive things with your time.
    ok, so I think I'll go make a movie with scenes from Trinidad Carnival, and I'll show ppl butt naked in all the mas troupes, having sex in broad daylight in the middle of the road and on the trucks, and I'll show women sucking off men as they reach the judging point.

As long as I employ a couple Trinis in my movie, I'm sure you'll have no problem with my movie either.

elq
    Credits
    hey great point
    btw
    when are auditions going to be for your movie? i can do a real real good Laventille accent! okay if i can't be the star boy, at least can i be an extra for the ting before the judging point?
    holla

elqshakespeare

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Xtremist
    ok, so I think I'll go make a movie with scenes from Trinidad Carnival, and I'll show ppl butt naked in all the mas troupes, having sex in broad daylight in the middle of the road and on the trucks, and I'll show women sucking off men as they reach the judging point.

As long as I employ a couple Trinis in my movie, I'm sure you'll have no problem with my movie either.
    Big up

Credits

if 70 percent of any group of people in trinidad were unemployed, then i hope they will be a part 2 and 3.

elq
    Credits
    if 70 percent of any group of people in trinidad were unemployed, then i hope they will be a part 2 and 3.

if i don't get in on part 1
    can i get in on parts 2 an 3

Credits
    Just like with Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll be in your island for 1, maybe 2 months tops to film my movie. Your ppl can -- just like wit Disney's movie -- earn a few pennies per hour while they do multiple takes sucking off my movie's stars (like elq)...then they can -- just like with Disney -- go back to their unemployed poverty.

I guess you see 1 month of menial low-paying work as some sort of permanent fix for unemployment?

Credits
    Just like with Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll be in your island for 1, maybe 2 months tops to film my movie. Your ppl can -- just like wit Disney's movie -- earn a few pennies per hour while they do multiple takes sucking off my movie's stars (like elq)...then they can -- just like with Disney -- go back to their unemployed poverty.

I guess you see 1 month of menial low-paying work as some sort of permanent fix for unemployment?
    Didn't say that.

If you have such a problem with Disney, why don't you email them and tell them to remove their factories from Haiti and stop paying Haitians the couple of pennies they get an hour to make those $4.00 keychains in their souvenir shops?

Then how will Haitians bring home the bacon?

Credits
    Didn't say that.

If you have such a problem with Disney, why don't you email them and tell them to remove their factories from Haiti and stop paying Haitians the couple of pennies they get an hour to make those $4.00 keychains in their souvenir shops?

Then how will Haitians bring home the bacon?
    ummm okayyyyy....this isn't really relevant, but i'll entertain it just for fun: How about they just make factories with livable working conditions and pay ppl proper salaries.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/297.html

Now, back to the issue at hand, would you mind telling us 1. how Caribs unjustly labelled as cannibals is central to the movie's theme. 2. Do you think Jews would accept a movie portraying theme as savage murderers who hunted down peaceful loving Nazis during the Geman Holocaust?
    Last edited by Mystic Xtremist; 04-25-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Credits
    ummm okayyyyy....this isn't really relevant, but i'll entertain it just for fun: How about they just make factories with livable working conditions and pay ppl proper salaries.

Now, back to the issue at hand, would you mind telling us 1. how Caribs unjustly labelled as cannibals is central to the movie's theme. 2. Do you think Jews would accept a movie portraying theme as savage murderers who hunted down peaceful loving Nazis during the Geman Holocaust?

Same with your movie idea in Trinidad.

It isn't central to the movies theme, just in a scene.
    Because I don't know the plot, I thought this would give you your answer.

The spit spat boils down to a scene that's said to take place in the middle of the movie, when Captain Jack gets is captured by natives and ends up hog-tied and generously sprinkled with fruits and vegetables in, as one Disney exec puts it, a human "shish kebab."

The Jews own almost all forms of media in this country. Everyone knows that, and any bias towards them is deemed unacceptable. Google "Jew", and see what happens. That should be proof enough.

Credits
    Same with your movie idea in Trinidad.

It isn't central to the movies theme, just in a scene.
    Because I don't know the plot, I thought this would give you your answer.

The spit spat boils down to a scene that's said to take place in the middle of the movie, when Captain Jack gets is captured by natives and ends up hog-tied and generously sprinkled with fruits and vegetables in, as one Disney exec puts it, a human "shish kebab."
    sooo, what you're saying is that the blatently racist subplot Disney is portraying isn't central to the theme, and that they should have no problem, other than to appease their own racist views, with removing it. Thanks kindly for agreeing with us.

The Jews own almost all forms of media in this country. Everyone knows that, and any bias towards them is deemed unacceptable. Google "Jew", and see what happens. That should be proof enough.
    So, what you're saying is that people who don't own large amounts of media in this country shouldn't have pride in themselves.

there's an interesting thought.

Credits
    sooo, what you're saying is that the blatently racist subplot Disney is portraying isn't central to the theme, and that they should have no problem, other than to appease their own racist views, with removing it. Thanks kindly for agreeing with us.

I answered your question as to whether labeling Caribs being labled as Cannibals was central to the movie theme. I said it was in a scene then I gave you a brief description of the issue at hand from eonline.com. Sooo I did not say anything about the blatantly racist subplot, the theme, or anything about appeasing their racist views. If i said it was just a scene what are they complaining about, then maybe I was supporting Disney.

So, what you're saying is that people who don't own large amounts of media in this country shouldn't have pride in themselves.

I did not say that, you are just having a conversation with yourself. I answered your question, whether I think the jews would allow a movie to be made portraying them in a negative way, I said any bias towards them is deemed unacceptable, therefore one would think I meant NO. If I said that people shouldn't have pride in themselves because they don't have any ownership in media that would be saying the labor day parade shouldn't be held because channel 4 doesn''t want to broadcast it anymore. I don't know where the hell you got an answer like that.

there's an interesting thought.

of course it is, because you're the one that is thinking up these looney conclusions and putting words in my mouth.
    Reread your questions then my answers, instead of reading in too deep then going soooooooo in other words you are supporting Disney World by watching blah blah blah
    Last edited by Panty Droppa; 04-26-2005 at 12:36 AM.

Credits
    wtf is wrong wit these people?

Dominican Caribs in 'Pirates' row

A Dominican Carib chief is calling on the island's Carib community to boycott the upcoming sequel of movie blockbuster, Pirates of the Caribbean because of how Caribs are portrayed in the film.

Carib chief Charles Williams said Disney has portrayed the Caribs as savage cannibals, a myth the community has long sought to dispel.

Shooting on the sequel is expected to begin in April, with hundreds of Dominicans applying to be extras in the movie.

According to the chief, the movie's bosses approached him saying they wanted to discuss a particular scene that they deemed to be sensitive.

He said during the discussions, Disney told him there would be a strong element of cannibalism in the film, but that they would refrain from showing blood and flesh-eating.

One scene mentioned involved a beach chase where savages were in pursuit of someone they wanted to be their leader. After capturing the man he is taken to a cave where he and other prisoners are told that they will be eaten.

gee i'm reeeeeally sure that the cannibalism is sooo central to the movie's plot :devil

"People call us savage cannibals and say you used to eat people; and it is a stigma that we have been living from all those years, that is still active and alive and strong." Carib chief Charles Williams

Mr. Williams said that despite being told by Disney that he would be allowed to see the script, they later refused saying that is against their policy.

Stigma

When asked why he objects so strongly to the suggestion of cannibalistic practices, Mr Williams said "people call us savage cannibals and say you used to eat people; and it is a stigma that we have been living from all those years, that is still active and alive and strong."

Mr Williams pointed to Island Carib Cannibalism, a document by Robert Mayers, and said it strongly states that there is no evidence to prove history's claims that the Caribs were cannibals.

The Carib chief claims this belief stems from the Europeans who colonised the Caribbean.

He said this belief is still widely accepted today, and that if the Carib community supports the Disney movie, this will only serve to subject yet another generation to that stigma once again.

Mr Williams said while it may not be possible to completely eliminate the belief that the Caribs were cannibals, the struggle to dispel that myth is one that must be kept active.

"We are people like all other persons…and that we have the democratic right to live and human rights like everyone else under the God's sun."

Asked if there were any positives in the film for the Caribs, Mr Williams said there were none. He said the film perpetuates stigma and discrimination and he cannot support this.

But in an island that is struggling economically, the film will bring some much needed foreign exhchange so calls for the boycott may fall on deaf ears.

Chief Williams said: "Money is not all in life, according to the saying, a good name is much better than riches."

About 3,000 Caribs live on the island of Dominica, which has a population of 70,000.

Many Caribs were killed by disease and war during colonisation up to the 1600s.
    Your very own words.

Your Flip-Flopping would make even make John Kerry laugh.

Credits
    Your very own words.

Your Flip-Flopping would make even make John Kerry laugh.
    Flip-flopping? You read that bolded text and actually think that means I think the cannibalism is central to the plot? you have to be a complete and utter moron.

THAT WAS SARCASM YOU IMP. GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast