Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Can you Feel the Beat?

Credits

Thumbs up Can you Feel the Beat?

Is this Soca? Sound kinda Dancehallish.
    Apparently this is the united theme for the Caribbean at the Rio Olympics (based on Digicel).
    Just wished it was a pure Dancehall track which would be more representative of the Caribbean.

Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeflash View Post
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Yep this is Soca. What else could it be? It contains the typical beat that has been present in soca music since the late 70's. Also it is produced by Machel Montano & Co-produced by Precision Productions who are both reputed soca producers.

Also it should be noted that soca and dancehall have been regularly borrowing elements from each other since the 1980's.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Yep this is Soca. What else could it be? It contains the typical beat that has been present in soca music since the late 70's. Also it is produced by Machel Montano & Co-produced by Precision Productions who are both reputed soca producers.

Also it should be noted that soca and dancehall have been regularly borrowing elements from each other since the 1980's.
    Dancehall don't borrow anything from soca.
    Yuh too bright and outta orda.

Then again you the same one that said Reggae was born in Trinidad.

Credits
    Apparently this is the united theme for the Caribbean at the Rio Olympics (based on Digicel).
    Just wished it was a pure Dancehall track which would be more representative of the Caribbean.
    2/3 of the Caribbean is Spanish-Speaking...
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Dancehall don't borrow anything from soca.
    Yuh too bright and outta orda.

Then again you the same one that said Reggae was born in Trinidad.
    I never said reggae was born in T&T. Bring that quote you lying yardie!

What I pointed out was there could possibly no reggae music today without Lynn Taitt's contribution to the development of rocksteady in Jamaica which eventually led to reggae.

Regards dancehall borrowing elements from soca, dancehall has borrowed elements from almost every popular music genre on the planet during its history and that includes soca.

Soca has influenced dancehall just as Calypso influenced mento and ska that came before rocksteady and reggae. But to be fair dancehall has also influenced Soca as I already said. Musicians around the world are influenced by each other's music all the time even when they don't wish to admit it.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    So true Jamaicans have a arrogant way of thinking like they somehow the only country in the Caribbean that matter, and British West Indians in general tend to have this narrow definition of what it means to be Caribbean. You would even hear some of them say that Cuba, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic is not Caribbean. So stupid if you ask me.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Dancehall is universal....it's not curtailed by language or borders.
    "No one puts Dancehall in a corner"

Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    I never said reggae was born in T&T. Bring that quote you lying yardie!

What I pointed out was there could possibly no reggae music today without Lynn Taitt's contribution to the development of rocksteady in Jamaica which eventually led to reggae.

Regards dancehall borrowing elements from soca, dancehall has borrowed elements from almost every popular music genre on the planet during its history and that includes soca.

Soca has influenced dancehall just as Calypso influenced mento and ska that came before rocksteady and reggae. But to be fair dancehall has also influenced Soca as I already said. Musicians around the world are influenced by each other's music all the time even when they don't wish to admit it.
    If Lynn Taitt was born in Trinidad and he gave birth to Reggae, by simple extrapolation wouldn't that indicate that Reggae was born in Trinidad? I mean we all, without question, say that our music is derived from Africa (India for some of you c00lie people) yet we are even further removed from the motherland than Taitt was from T&T.

Do you know if he went to Jamaica seeking a better life? Lucky for us he was embraced by our people and not turned away at the border or humiliated at the airport. So lucky.
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Dancehall is universal....it's not curtailed by language or borders.
    "No one puts Dancehall in a corner"

If Lynn Taitt was born in Trinidad and he gave birth to Reggae, by simple extrapolation wouldn't that indicate that Reggae was born in Trinidad? I mean we all, without question, say that our music is derived from Africa (India for some of you c00lie people) yet we are even further removed from the motherland than Taitt was from T&T.

Do you know if he went to Jamaica seeking a better life? Lucky for us he was embraced by our people and not turned away at the border or humiliated at the airport. So lucky.
    Reggae is a Jamaican product, I have never ever argued that Reggae is a Trini product even though Lynn Taitt was a major contributor to the development of rock steady which led to reggae.

Here are my threads on this topic:
    Nice article about Nearlin Taitt: The secret Trinidadian hero of Jamaican music
    Evolution of Jamaican Reggae (the chronological facts and main influences)
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits

that sounding like some high brid crossover between reggaeton, soca and dancehall, with a slight edm feel.

Dem man trying there best to make music that appeal to a world market. Sad, when history shows that the sound the world loves the caribbean for is its authentic one (bob marley, kevin little, arrow etc).
    tikreyol likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyenegre Reloaded View Post
    that sounding like some high brid crossover between reggaeton, soca and dancehall, with a slight edm feel.

Dem man trying there best to make music that appeal to a world market. Sad, when history shows that the sound the world loves the caribbean for is its authentic one (bob marley, kevin little, arrow etc).
    Authentic?!!!
    Carib2 and mz_JazE like this.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Unit View Post
    Authentic?!!!
    you don't agree that Kevin Little's Turn me on was an authentic Caribbean sounding song?

Credits
    you don't agree that Kevin Little's Turn me on was an authentic Caribbean sounding song?
    No! I don't consider anything that interpolates the actual lyrics of a song from another genre to be authentic anything! Did you listen to the album he put out? Most of that stuff sounded like an attempt to fuse RnB with Soca. This is not to take away from KL or his success but purely from a sound standpoint. Would you consider most of Sanchez' songs to be authentically Caribbean because of the tracks they were on despite being adaptations? I wouldn't (JMHO). The others you mentioned I can easily agree to.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Unit View Post
    No! I don't consider anything that interpolates the actual lyrics of a song from another genre to be authentic anything! Did you listen to the album he put out? Most of that stuff sounded like an attempt to fuse RnB with Soca. This is not to take away from KL or his success but purely from a sound standpoint. Would you consider most of Sanchez' songs to be authentically Caribbean because of the tracks they were on despite being adaptations? I wouldn't (JMHO). The others you mentioned I can easily agree to.
    by definition that would pretty much nullify the authenticity of pretty much all genres. There are clear and obvious influences everywhere, but in my opinion, the overall feel of the song and the effect it had on the various 'carnival environments' during that time, make it authentic. In my opinion, but i do see where you are coming from - but I don't agree.

Credits
    by definition that would pretty much nullify the authenticity of pretty much all genres. There are clear and obvious influences everywhere, but in my opinion, the overall feel of the song and the effect it had on the various 'carnival environments' during that time, make it authentic. In my opinion, but i do see where you are coming from - but I don't agree.
    Not really. It is one thing to borrow a melody and create your own chorus. Borrow a snippet to create something entirely new. Genres from all corners of the world do this and retain their authenticity. What broke KL thru was neither of those. He interpolates a huge chunk of 112 song and it is this for the most part (with the exception of Madzart small piece) that drives the whole song. Take R-City "locked away" for instance, there is clear borrowing from Captain and Tenille's Do That To Me One More Time however it still feels like a new song experience. Exactly what you point out about what that song that start the post feels like is what I took from KL song from the first time I heard it. Doesn't mean I didn't like it or wasn't always playing it at parties (still do), but I never would really regard that as authentically caribbean.
    Space available for RENT

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast