Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Can you befriend someone who dont believe in God?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    okay but for everyone else who is homophobic it is the below.. got it

lol
    I should've reworded it differently

I should've said religion allows homophobia to be fostered.

Credits
    Epicurus:
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    If he is both able and willing?
    Then whence comes evil?
    If he is neither able, nor willing
    Then why call him God?"
    honduranboy1 likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    Ha!

An underlying theme of this thread has been all the horrors committed in the name of religion and that religious people do this that and the other whereas atheists are so good and noble. I show you a PROFOUND example of a collective effort outright defying a brutal regime due to deeply held religious convictions and then you start to change your tune?

Yeah ok...lol

Show me the other Hindus, Bhuddists, atheists, etc who stood up to the Nazis in a similar manner to the Jehovah's Witnesses. And I am not just speaking about random individuals, I am speaking of a collective, organised effort. They were amongst the first to speak out in defiance (apart from the Jews themselves, of course) whilst all those other good and noble secular governments turned a blind eye until the Blizkrieg was at their door-steps.

Anyway, what does Leviticus say about the persecution of homosexuals?
    Where have you seen THAT in the thread?

The point is, religious/theists aren't more (or less) likely to commit attrocities than nonreligious/atheists.

Both have committed atrocities.

It's just amusing that people would try to say that because someone does not believe in "God" that somehow makes them an immoral, lawless person

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by antiguad View Post
    Where have you seen THAT in the thread?

The point is, religious/theists aren't more (or less) likely to commit attrocities than nonreligious/atheists.

Both have committed atrocities.

It's just amusing that people would try to say that because someone does not believe in "God" that somehow makes them an immoral, lawless person
    Where have I seen that in the thread? Are you blind, or just can't read and comprehend very well? Please don't make me have to go back and quote/explain them for you.

Credits
    Where have I seen that in the thread? Are you blind, or just can't read and comprehend very well? Please don't make me have to go back and quote/explain them for you.
    Go ahead and quote/explain for me.

Since it's so easy to spot you should have pointed it out to me, instead of taking your time to cuss me out.

I'll wait

Ya'll people sure is thin skinned!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAKAA View Post
    So you have accepted that there are Christians who worship God for non-selfish reasons then? Cause that was a point u had a hard time grasping on here for weeks.
    Dude, I AM A CHRISTIAN. I NEVER said that there were no Christians who worshiped selflessly, why would I say something like that???? What I was arguing though was that some of the rules and some people's perspectives on how they worship were built out of self-interest.

Read again.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Toppa_Toppa
    WHY?

Many of the very moral people I know are agnostic/atheist (including myself)

You don't need god/religion to have a moral code. Likewise, those who have religion don't always follow it.

If you think that society would suddenly be thrown into chaos because its citizens aren't religious, you're very mistaken. Actually, the trend is that the fewer religious people in a country, the lower the crime rate
    That causal relationship is as spurious as the 'study' that claimed a correlation between ice-cream sales and rape when in fact it was not the sale of ice-cream but the higher temperatures which were shown to affect both. Higher temperature, more aggression, increase in violent crime. Likewise I think you might find that there are other factors, for instance the level of economic development, existence of a 'safety net' for the indigent or disadvantaged, etc which has the actual impact on crime rate. Not a lack of religion. That's just stupid.

Toppa_Toppa
    Go ahead and quote/explain for me.

Since it's so easy to spot you should have pointed it out to me, instead of taking your time to cuss me out.

I'll wait

Ya'll people sure is thin skinned!
    I cuss you? Yuh see de same ting ah talking bout?

Credits
    I cuss you? Yuh see de same ting ah talking bout?
    Still waiting for your reply to my question, since I'm obviously too blind to see it......

Still waiting.......

Toppa_Toppa
    Still waiting for your reply to my question, since I'm obviously too blind to see it......

Still waiting.......

You can't even understand the phrase 'underlying theme' so my confidence in you is pretty low at this point. Keep on waiting. I have already established the point I wanted to make.

I have one more response to impart and it will be to CaribNVA.

T-MAKAA
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Dude, I AM A CHRISTIAN. I NEVER said that there were no Christians who worshiped selflessly, why would I say something like that???? What I was arguing though was that some of the rules and some people's perspectives on how they worship were built out of self-interest.

Read again.
    ok

T-MAKAA
    Wait wha did i juss say okay too. U are a what?? U are not a Christian my friend. U cant type what u type on here and say u are a Christian.

Credits
    You can't even understand the phrase 'underlying theme' so my confidence in you is pretty low at this point. Keep on waiting. I have already established the point I wanted to make.

I have one more response to impart and it will be to CaribNVA.
    Lol.

It's always amusing when people make an unsubstantiated claim, then try to dance around said claim because them know them wrong.

Just answer the question I am apparently to blind to see. That is all.

Either that or admit that maybe (obviously) you read to much into what you thought was being said, when that was never the intent at all.

Still waiting..... For this "fabulous point" that you apparently made but I'm too blind to see....

Credits
    That causal relationship is as spurious as the 'study' that claimed a correlation between ice-cream sales and rape when in fact it was not the sale of ice-cream but the higher temperatures which were shown to affect both. Higher temperature, more aggression, increase in violent crime. Likewise I think you might find that there are other factors, for instance the level of economic development, existence of a 'safety net' for the indigent or disadvantaged, etc which has the actual impact on crime rate. Not a lack of religion. That's just stupid.
    Hmmmm. Assuming you are addressing the point that I made....

I didn't say that "lack of religion" made people MORE violent.

I was simply replying to another poster who implied that atheistic people were less moral, therefore more likely to do immoral things, such as crime, or higher pregnancy rate.

I pointed out that that is not true on a factual basis - i.e. that far from atheistic countries being immoral, it would appear that they are MORE moral than most "religious" countries.

My point was, simply, that religion doesn't DETERMINE one's morality, and that morality can be developed outside of belief in a God.

Hope you can pick up my "underlying theme" from what I said there

:P
    optimizm likes this.

Credits
    “His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made.”—Romans 1:20.

Anyway, to answer the question - I am of the same ilk as Steupz. I find them absurdly annoying, pretentious and condescending in their presumptuous air of intellectual superiority.

Cyar take dem at all at all.
    Love this verse.

Agree with the rest of what you have said as well. I tend to just leave them to their ways. People will act in whatever manner they choose.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast