Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can You Become a Creature of New Habits?

Credits

Can You Become a Creature of New Habits?

I'm currently attempting to develop new habits... positive healthy habits and I found this article that I thought was interesting.

By JANET RAE-DUPREE
    Published: May 4, 2008

HABITS are a funny thing. We reach for them mindlessly, setting our brains on auto-pilot and relaxing into the unconscious comfort of familiar routine. “Not choice, but habit rules the unreflecting herd,” William Wordsworth said in the 19th century. In the ever-changing 21st century, even the word “habit” carries a negative connotation.

So it seems antithetical to talk about habits in the same context as creativity and innovation. But brain researchers have discovered that when we consciously develop new habits, we create parallel synaptic paths, and even entirely new brain cells, that can jump our trains of thought onto new, innovative tracks.

Rather than dismissing ourselves as unchangeable creatures of habit, we can instead direct our own change by consciously developing new habits. In fact, the more new things we try — the more we step outside our comfort zone — the more inherently creative we become, both in the workplace and in our personal lives.

But don’t bother trying to kill off old habits; once those ruts of procedure are worn into the hippocampus, they’re there to stay. Instead, the new habits we deliberately ingrain into ourselves create parallel pathways that can bypass those old roads.

“The first thing needed for innovation is a fascination with wonder,” says Dawna Markova, author of “The Open Mind” and an executive change consultant for Professional Thinking Partners. “But we are taught instead to ‘decide,’ just as our president calls himself ‘the Decider.’ ” She adds, however, that “to decide is to kill off all possibilities but one. A good innovational thinker is always exploring the many other possibilities.”

All of us work through problems in ways of which we’re unaware, she says. Researchers in the late 1960s discovered that humans are born with the capacity to approach challenges in four primary ways: analytically, procedurally, relationally (or collaboratively) and innovatively. At puberty, however, the brain shuts down half of that capacity, preserving only those modes of thought that have seemed most valuable during the first decade or so of life.

Read more here
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    You are who you are.
    Environmental factors have an impact but only at an early age then everything solidifies.
    You can try hiding it but you will be miserable trying to live a lie.
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgeflash View Post
    You are who you are.
    Environmental factors have an impact but only at an early age then everything solidifies.
    I'm really focusing on implementing certain changes in my life and I want to get to a point of automaticity. For in to get stance I work out but I have to make a conscious effort do it. I want to get to a point where it becomes second nature like brushing my teeth.

I read somewhere that if you do something daily for 20 something days it becomes a habit. Or readings say it's an average of 66 days... anyways I'm going to try.
    dollbabi likes this.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    I'm really focusing on implementing certain changes in my life and I want to get to a point of automaticity. For in to get stance I work out but I have to make a conscious effort do it. I want to get to a point where it becomes second nature like brushing my teeth.

I read somewhere that if you do something daily for 20 something days it becomes a habit. Or readings say it's an average of 66 days... anyways I'm going to try.
    Maybe you can log your progress so we can see how it works out for you. Sorry, but I am skeptical.

It's not that I don't think you can do it. I just think you will not be happy. Some of these tendencies, I believe, are hardwired in our DNAs.
    Say no to drugs.
    Smoke weed.

Credits
    Maybe you can log your progress so we can see how it works out for you. Sorry, but I am skeptical.

It's not that I don't think you can do it. I just think you will not be happy. Some of these tendencies, I believe, are hardwired in our DNAs.
    Once I get started I'm fine... and I'll be happy with the results...lol
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    i dont believe that.... you can delete old habits and upload new ones to your cpu.... i used to bite my nails when i was a child.. i just decided one day to stop.. the end.. i havent bitten my nails in aeons.. my friend who used to suck finger without remorse, also stopped that habit cold turkey ,,,, habit is built on repetition.. if you want something to become habit then keep doing it as part of a routine... i found that was the only way to remember to take vitamins because if not , salt....
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i dont believe that.... you can delete old habits and upload new ones to your cpu.... i used to bite my nails when i was a child.. i just decided one day to stop.. the end.. i havent bitten my nails in aeons.. my friend who used to suck finger without remorse, also stopped that habit cold turkey ,,,, habit is built on repetition.. if you want something to become habit then keep doing it as part of a routine... i found that was the only way to remember to take vitamins because if not , salt....
    I did the same thing with nail biting. I just one day stopped cold turkey and never did it again.

What don't you believe?

I disagree with this part
    But don’t bother trying to kill off old habits; once those ruts of procedure are worn into the hippocampus, they’re there to stay. Instead, the new habits we deliberately ingrain into ourselves create parallel pathways that can bypass those old roads.
    But I can see with the a lot of the article in terms of developing new habits.
    Last edited by Nica; 09-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

it takes 4-6 months to form a habit..that's why its so difficult to let go of someone/thing

Taj
    Credits

hmmm try see how you like it
    also keep in mind you have to adapt the activity to keep interested. even if you form a habit to exercise doing the same type of workout is going to bore you and you will be less likely to make it a habit.
    Nica likes this.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    You are who you are.
    i agree
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Taj
    Credits
    i don't think old habits can be completely erased... its 2nd nature. Under certain conditions thats the response you will go to first.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Oh yes, this makes complete sense.
    You can tell or feel the - as they describe it - synaptic paths being created because your mind tends to create an elaborate intermingling of consciousness and consequence.
    So, for example. A few years ago, I decided I would pray more, so I began praying as I drove... or, more to the point, I decided I would pray whenever it moved me so to do.

After a few weeks I noticed I'd have pray impulses. So randomly it just came to me that I needed to pray.
    Now, there came with that, many instances where it was almost embarrassing to begin praying, even in my mind. But, the thing became so embedded and part of me that I convinced myself there would be a consequence to my not praying at that very minute.

To me, that's what the synaptic path is about. I could be wrong because I have never heard of the term, but I see it as what happened to me. You force your brain to create its own energy and impulses and even shaming so that your brain directs you to continue doing that which you appear to want to do regularly.
    Nica likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Steupz View Post
    Oh yes, this makes complete sense.
    You can tell or feel the - as they describe it - synaptic paths being created because your mind tends to create an elaborate intermingling of consciousness and consequence.
    So, for example. A few years ago, I decided I would pray more, so I began praying as I drove... or, more to the point, I decided I would pray whenever it moved me so to do.

After a few weeks I noticed I'd have pray impulses. So randomly it just came to me that I needed to pray.
    Now, there came with that, many instances where it was almost embarrassing to begin praying, even in my mind. But, the thing became so embedded and part of me that I convinced myself there would be a consequence to my not praying at that very minute.

To me, that's what the synaptic path is about. I could be wrong because I have never heard of the term, but I see it as what happened to me. You force your brain to create its own energy and impulses and even shaming so that your brain directs you to continue doing that which you appear to want to do regularly.
    Funny you use that example because I've picked up something similar.

I read 2 scriptures every morning before I pray. That's not something I was used to doing. I made the decision to start doing daily scripture reading some time in April. I haven't missed a day since. It's the first thing I do when I wake up. If for some reason I wake up and get distracted and that routine breaks, I have to go do it as I can otherwise I start feeling guilty.
    dollbabi likes this.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    hmmm try see how you like it
    also keep in mind you have to adapt the activity to keep interested. even if you form a habit to exercise doing the same type of workout is going to bore you and you will be less likely to make it a habit.
    I agree with this. For now I seem to enjoy "wogging" outdoors. I switch my routes to keep me from getting bored. I also have other routines that I can do.... I have the insanity serious, hip hop abs and zumba. I love to dance so the last 2 are great!
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    i still trying to get into the habit of taking liquid iron supplements... lol.. not sure what to do...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast