Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can Afro-caribbean people identify themselves as black?

Credits

Can Afro-caribbean people identify themselves as black?

What is black person?

Black: a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)

That's what I thought a black person means

Some African Americans I heard before call Jamaicans, Haitians, and Trinidadians or any black ancestors came from outside United States are not black I know this is sound ridiculous to ask this question, but there's no better place to find the answer than here.

Afro-caribbean people have you ever had an African American person tell you you're not allow to talk about black bcuz you are not black?

Credits
    I have actually heard it from some of my white co-workers who say things like "Well you are not black... you are Jamaican." I have also heard it from other West Indians who also insist they are not black but "something else." Never heard it from African Americans.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinhaiti4ever View Post
    What is black person?

Black: a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)

Some African Americans I heard before call Jamaicans, Haitians, and Trinidadians or any black ancestors came from outside United States are not black I know this is sound ridiculous to ask this question, but there's no better place to find the answer than here.

Afro-caribbean people have you ever had an African American person tell you you're not allow to talk about black bcuz you are not black?
    When I first moved to Louisiana I was told that.... I was in shock at the ignorance. I was told that I'm not black, and I don't know anythng about slavery and the Caribbean didn't have slavery and a bunch of other crap.
    And those statements all came from African Americans

I just used it as a teaching opportunity.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    uhm

no...
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    i am BROWN.

black is like the singers akon, seal, etc.

lol

Taj
    Credits
    What is black person?

I feel those people either don't know history or never took the time to be aware of diaspora blacks thats why they think only African American = Black ie they got the monopoly on the experience.

People can define themselves how they want and society will just reinterpret it to fit their own race construct.

I may say I'm Black
    Carlos may laugh and say I'm fooling myself
    Genetic studies of African Americans show as much as 40%? of their genes come from/are white. So are they really black?
    Is black about origin, percentages, or the experience?
    Lucianite likes this.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    What is black person?

These are labels that the White Ruling Class have created for THEIR CENSUS.....

.......you can identify yourself as whatever you want if you wanna Fock-Up their Data Collection exercise!

Credits
    Here mi nuh man Colombus eeediat mi anuh indian..so mi not even use west indian watever its modern appendages.....I am a black man...A Jamaican...A man from the Caribbean and in certain situations I call myself African.

Credits
    well these are probably the same people who say they are "mixed" race... oh yea? with what?.. Black and Jamaican...*blank stare* umm okay. people confused yes.. i heard somebody told me they are of the Barbadian race ... smmfh.

cos thinkin about it .. for that census thing where they say "originating from any of the African continents blah blah blah".. then a dougla person cud tick off Asian and African...
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits

Angry

Working as a Teacher in a UK i school I asked a Girl who looked Mixed race where her family was from when we were talking about Slavery. She said Jamaica. I replied that her family would most likely have been slaves as would mine.

she looked at me blankly and said " My family aren't from Africa, they are from Jamaica". I then explained to her that Jamaica was populated with slaves brought to the Caribbean from Africa....she couln't believe it saying "yeah well im not African".

Sad really.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpresence View Post
    Working as a Teacher in a UK i school I asked a Girl who looked Mixed race where her family was from when we were talking about Slavery. She said Jamaica. I replied that her family would most likely have been slaves as would mine.

she looked at me blankly and said " My family aren't from Africa, they are from Jamaica". I then explained to her that Jamaica was populated with slaves brought to the Caribbean from Africa....she couln't believe it saying "yeah well im not African".

Sad really.

BEYOND SAD

CocoErotika
    to African Americans "black" is only those born in America.

when caribbeans come here they dont refer to themselves and black. they refer to themselves as Bajan, jamaican, trini, etc. no matter if they are "black, ########################, dougla, chiney," etc

black americans dont call themselves americans, they call themselves black...just black.

now they call themselves african americans and some reject that because they dont identify with Africa nor America

Credits
    What is black person?

The term " black" is used to represent race aswell as an ethnic group. In the US, it means American blacks if you are talking about different groups of blacks. because they are the majority. The same is true with the term " white". The Russians, Irish and other white immigrants do not see themselves as " white" or White Americans and visa versa.

Credits
    Yes I have been told this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJANFUHLIFE View Post
    i am BROWN.

black is like the singers akon, seal, etc.

lol
    lol, im sure even dem fellas have some white blood in dem down de line....welllllllll maybe not akon, but u never know.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast