Thread: Brown still on payroll, pointing fingers and defending his tail

elq
    Credits

Brown still on payroll, pointing fingers and defending his tail

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ousted Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown told congressional investigators Monday that he is being paid as a consultant to help FEMA assess what went wrong in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, according to a senior official familiar with the meeting.

Brown also said he wished he had pushed more forcefully -- and earlier -- for federal troops to be brought in to restore order in New Orleans, the official told CNN.

Brown's comments were made to investigators for Rep. Tom Davis, R-Virginia. Davis leads a House select committee probing the federal, state and local response to Katrina, and Brown is scheduled to appear before the panel Tuesday in highly anticipated appearance.

Congressional aides told CNN that the decision to keep him on the federal payroll for about a month will be scrutinized at Tuesday's hearing. Brown's 2004 salary was $145,600, according to the Plum Book, a congressional reference guide to executive branch salaries. (Posted 7:51 p.m.)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former FEMA director Michael Brown aggressively defended his role in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday and put much of the blame for coordination failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

"I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together," he told a congressional panel. "I just couldn't pull that off."

Credits
    By acting as consultant, it like he still running the show just not getting blamed for anything.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by elq
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ousted Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown told congressional investigators Monday that he is being paid as a consultant to help FEMA assess what went wrong in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, according to a senior official familiar with the meeting.

Brown also said he wished he had pushed more forcefully -- and earlier -- for federal troops to be brought in to restore order in New Orleans, the official told CNN.

Brown's comments were made to investigators for Rep. Tom Davis, R-Virginia. Davis leads a House select committee probing the federal, state and local response to Katrina, and Brown is scheduled to appear before the panel Tuesday in highly anticipated appearance.

Congressional aides told CNN that the decision to keep him on the federal payroll for about a month will be scrutinized at Tuesday's hearing. Brown's 2004 salary was $145,600 , according to the Plum Book, a congressional reference guide to executive branch salaries. (Posted 7:51 p.m.)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former FEMA director Michael Brown aggressively defended his role in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday and put much of the blame for coordination failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

"I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together," he told a congressional panel. "I just couldn't pull that off." Political Science 101 - create distance between yourself and the situation by placing the blame on others. how Typical
    Only in this country can a person who is part of the problem also be a part of the solution

StarGyul
    I like that salary!!! I could really work with that...
    if Brown was black, I bet he wouldn't be "helping" out...

elq
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    Only in this country can a person who is part of the problem also be a part of the solution

holleration for the consultation. watch how easy it is....

dude, we'll call you back to d.c. you lay low for a while, you'll still be paid. just work with our spin docs and give it a couple weeks then we'll have you come back under a "consultant" title. go after those southern nitwits and stay strong when you're before congress.
    you'll leave smelling like primroses....

Credits
    Its amazing how these people could sit there and point fingers at each other knowing that they all had an intricate part to play in what happened. Personally I could care less about their hearings because at the end of the day nothing real is going to be done.