Thread: Brooklyn Soca Warrior Fans in NY Daily News

Credits

Brooklyn Soca Warrior Fans in NY Daily News

Carib soccer rooters'
    Cup runneth over

BY LESLIE CASIMIR
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Trinidad native Augustus Belford shows team pride outside his Brooklyn store with Soca Warriors gear.

This week, the streets of Caribbean Brooklyn will be awash in Soca Warriors red, Soca Warriors songs and Soca Warriors fans.
    That's because, for the first time ever, Trinidad and Tobago is headed to the most spectacular sports event on the planet: the World Cup, la Copa Mundial, le Coupe du Monde.

And there's no way that Caribbean New Yorkers will let this huge feat - Trinidad also has the distinction of being the smallest country to qualify - go unnoticed.

"I usually root for Brazil," said Anselm Lebourne, an analyst at the New York Stock Exchange. "I also usually root for the small African countries, but now I have Trinidad. The whole Caribbean will be supporting the Soca Warriors."

Carnival-style parties are planned, Labor Day parade masquerade camps will be open for people to view the matches, and hundreds of locals are heading to Germany.

In short, no one will be getting much sleep, said Lebourne, who is flying to Frankfurt on Thursday, a day before the cup kicks off.

Augustus Belford, owner of One Love in Brooklyn, is giddy about the accomplishment of his nation's team. He has transformed his variety store on Utica Ave. in Crown Heights into a shrine to his Warriors.

There are plaques emblazoned with the team's image and the slogan, "Small Country, Big Passion."

The team's picture is on his computer's mouse pad. There are Soca Warriors T-shirts, baseball caps and team jerseys hanging all over the place. The gear also is for sale. Belford plays the celebrated Nov. 16, 2005, Trinidad victory over Bahrain continuously on one of his two televisions.

"This is historic," said the 52-year-old merchant, who just returned from Trinidad, where he attended a Soca Warriors practice game. "We have a chance to show the world who we are."

A large Trinidad and Tobago flag flies from Colin Williams' Fort Greene, Brooklyn, apartment.
    Last edited by IslandmixUSA; 06-05-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Credits
    nice article...especially the end...win lose or draw..we still are going to celebrate....fullstop

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Great article

dEm
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SpArkLe
    Great article
    agreed