View Poll Results: Do you support the ban?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 25.00%
  • No

6 75.00%

Thread: Britons support ban on Muslim veil

Credits

Exclamation Britons support ban on Muslim veil

One in three people would support a ban on Muslim women wearing veils which cover their faces in public places, according to a new survey.

The ICM survey for the BBC asked if people would approve the introduction by the Government of such a plan.

Thirty-three per cent of respondents said they would approve the introduction of such a ban, while 56 per cent said they would not and just under one in 10 said they did not know.

Asked if they would support prohibition in specific circumstances, 61 per cent said they would approve a ban in airports and at passport control, 53 per cent in courtrooms and 53 per cent in schools.

Forty-one per cent said they would support a workplace ban, but 56 per cent said they would oppose a ban on Muslim women wearing veils while travelling on public transport.

Last month former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw sparked a national debate when he revealed that he asked Muslim women to remove their veils when they visited his constituency surgery.

Zareen Roohi Ahmed, chief executive of the British Muslim Forum, told the BBC: "If security is at stake, such as at an airport, then yes, of course, the veil should be removed.

"If it proves difficult in performing a task such as in a school, then it is up to the individual who is wearing the veil whether they want to work there or not.

"Given everything else that is going on in the world right now, from Iraq to Afghanistan, we are talking about a piece of cloth.''

Ms Ahmed added that debate over the veil had become harder because some parts of the media had blown the issue out of proportion.

The corporation said a nationally representative sample of people were questioned in the survey.

maybe its just me but i find this VERY worrying

Brown Milk

For real...

Man, I gotta see who I talkin' 2 U know what I'm sayin'... They could see my face but I cyar see theirs... If I had won that Euro lottery, I woulda buy each ah dem shades and gloves so dat dey whole body could be covered...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Commotion View Post
    Man, I gotta see who I talkin' 2 U know what I'm sayin'... They could see my face but I cyar see theirs... If I had won that Euro lottery, I woulda buy each ah dem shades and gloves so dat dey whole body could be covered...

yuh bad

The JaM™
    This is a tough one... on the one hand, this is an infringement of their religious rights but on the other hand with all the security issues that abound today, anybody could be under those veils...
    At my university there are several women (well I think they're women) who weir full veils. Now what is the point of giving them photographic ID cards when ain't nobody ever seen what they really look like?

I think a compromise should be made. They can wear the partial veils that cover their head/hair and necks; thereby enabling their faces to be seen. Afterall if a non-Muslim was to go to their country (or mosque), she would have to cover herself. So whilst in another man's land, do as they do. When in Rome...

Credits
    i find nothing wrong with what Straw said

but I would not support a blanket(no pun intended) ban

a woman in my area didnt want to remove hers for her drivers L.(which is also used as an id card in the US)

she fought and lost

as she should have
    Last edited by .; 11-29-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VincyJam82 View Post
    This is a tough one... on the one hand, this is an infringement of their religious rights but on the other hand with all the security issues that abound today, anybody could be under those veils...
    At my university there are several women (well I think they're women) who weir full veils. Now what is the point of giving them photographic ID cards when ain't nobody ever seen what they really look like?

I think a compromise should be made. They can wear the partial veils that cover their head/hair and necks; thereby enabling their faces to be seen. Afterall if a non-Muslim was to go to their country (or mosque), she would have to cover herself. So whilst in another man's land, do as they do. When in Rome...
    true true. but that would go against their human right to freely express their religious belief. and we are supposedly a multi cultural society

The JaM™
    Quote Originally Posted by TTmudder View Post
    true true. but that would go against their human right to freely express their religious belief. and we are supposedly a multi cultural society
    And suppose I was a nudist/Naturalist and I decided I wanted to visit a mosque or other Muslim country... they would make me wear clothes wouldn't they? Isn't that against MY human right to freely express my beliefs? In fact nudists can get arrested IN the UK for being naked... they're forced to wear clothes. So what makes Muslims so special that they shouldn't have a ban imposed on the FULL veil? IMO, wearing a full veil can potentially cause more problems than people walking about naked. But nobody ain't kicking up a stink and championing the rights of nudists/naturalists are they?

Credits
    first they ban toothbrushes and toothpaste now this.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VincyJam82 View Post

yeah had the debate over here too woman tek drivers licence photo in she hijab

Ummm i totally forgot in Trini d school girls had to tek off dey hijab? so long ago i cyar remember
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadJockey View Post

a woman in my area didnt want to remove hers for her drivers L.(which is also used as an id card in the US)

she fought and lost

as she should have
    how is this kind of situation handled in the airports? if a muslim woman is traveling, how is her identity confirmed? does she have to remove her veil? if not, than they could be traveling on anybody passport or ID because eh nothing exposed but deh eyes.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougla Ting View Post
    how is this kind of situation handled in the airports? if a muslim woman is traveling, how is her identity confirmed? does she have to remove her veil? if not, than they could be traveling on anybody passport or ID because eh nothing exposed but deh eyes.
    what about when they have to pat her down???? can she refuse and object?
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel