Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boycott TNT Carnival 2003?

Credits

Boycott TNT Carnival 2003?

Okay, I think people taking things too far. This situation in TnT with the mas bands and the NCBA need to come to some compromise, because I need to play meh mas next year...HMPH! Anyone out there with some conflict resolution skills? :'(

Major bands threaten to boycott 2003 mas
    By Kayode James

LEGENDS band leader Ian McKenzie and Nina Jeremiah leave the NCBA meeting at the Club House, Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain, last night.

Several major mas bands are threatening to boycott Carnival next year, as a motion brought by them to oust the current executive of the National Carnival Bands Association (NCBA) was thrown out.

The vote of no confidence was brought against the NCBA executive by bandleaders of Legends, Young Harts, Funtasia and Tico Skinner and Associates at an extra-ordinary general meeting of the association at the Queen’s Park Savannah.

According to Legends bandleader, Ian McKenzie, the motion was never heard.

“They moved a motion to throw out our motion,” said McKenzie last night as he stood outside the Grand Stand after the meeting. The motion was carried with 127 votes to 35.

The meeting commenced at 5 p.m. but less than one hour later several McKenzie supporters were seen leaving the building, shaking their heads in disgust.

McKenzie’s supporters described the meeting’s proceedings as “heated”, and are questioning the NCBA membership of three maxi-loads of attendees from San Fernando and Tobago.

“It was a conspiracy. I’m seeing people here I’ve never seen here before, and I can’t even verify their membership because we can’t get our hands on the association documents,” McKenzie complained.
    “We are contemplating boycotting Carnival next year,” said McKenzie.

McKenzie and 40 other like-minded bandleaders are also considering forming their own Carnival bands association.

“We have the support of some of the large bands, including Legends, Young Harts, Tico Skinner & Associates, Masquerade, and we are going to be talking to Callaloo Company,” said McKenzie.
    “Without the large bands you can’t have a Carnival,” he continued, adding that he would also be talking to several medium bands.

NCBA president and Barbarossa bandleader, Richard Afong, appeared triumphant though calm in his office after the meeting.

He said it would be unfortunate if the members actually boycotted Carnival, but felt McKenzie and the others would not carry out their threat.

“Just give them a few months and you’ll see how they’ll cool off,” he said.
    He also said that the contingent from Tobago questioned by McKenzie were bona fide members of the NCBA’s Tobago division who were there of their own accord.

Credits

RE: Boycott TNT Carnival 2003?

Good for them yes, I bet you they find they way out on the road come March 3. Don't take on that all talk. Too much money tie up in Carnival for them to boycott.

Besides, Poison not in it for prize we just trying to have fun.

Credits

I may be wrong, but wedda dere is boycott or not de carnival will go on. The one thing about West Indian people is dat we are resourceful so if some bands are boycotting, I think people will jus' make do wit what is dere...

Nuttin can stop de carnival!

"Out of many, One People"

Credits

But what would you do if the larger bands formed their own association and moved their carnival to different location. Are you band supports and go where your band will go? Or, will you just join a band because the savannah have to see you?

For me Poison where you are i will be there.

Credits

sokah,
    I'm w/ you.

Credits

But this is the problem. We DON'T need to have two Carnivals as we have seen with the North American Carnival confusion. People get confused, rumors abound, and it just gets plain messy to the point where people do not want to be bothered. With all the problems that TnT experienced this year we don't need divisiveness right now. If we start heading down that road, the quality of our Carnival will certainly be changed.

Credits

You're right but I really can't remember a recent year when there was not some fight or threat to cancel or boycott or some such nonsense. Carnival is over nine months away. There is plenty time to settle that.

amprincess

I'm just glad Poison not mixed up in that mess. Poison the only band I'll play with. :)

Credits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-17-02 AT 04:27 PM (EST)]i read it this morning in dey express. i cant believe it:o!!! why dey go do this nonesense when it go be me first year in tnt for 2003:'(??!!!

Credits

Politics is Politics.. there is obviously a problem with the way the NCBA is run. So now de bandleaders are speaking up.. yuh cyah have rules and enforce when yuh feel like it.... and dat is what they did this year... deh had rules dat deh enforce when other years those rules were thrown out de window. A lot of shittiness going on in de NCBA and when money talks,... bullshit walks... there is a lot of money at stake when it come tuh winning... so ah doh blame de bandleaders who have enough balls tuh stand up.. dat is what is wrong wid my people some time.. deh does get on too dotish and let de system walk over dem.. and as soon as somebody open deh mout dat person causing trouble....

She looks like a flower
    but....
    Stings like a bee...

Credits

I think Big Mike and Ian get to big for me , they feel they run the town , they full of it , I only see them new commers supporting them , all the big guns like Minshall , Wayne Berkley and Poison not on the list . Doh worry ,when 2003 reach all ah them playing . Mike & Ian love money bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits

Well money mek de mare fly... not so... people does get vex when yuh want tuh mek money and get ahead in like... West Indians boy... we like crabs in a bucket... always pullin each other down..

She looks like a flower
    but....
    Stings like a bee...

D'Only1

RE: Good Morning...

Credits

Trinibaje , how come you still on the IMIX , I figure every body down by the Pier for the Mask boatride . I can't make it tonite , I will be definitely on Pier tomorrow .

Credits

Well Up.. bwoy.. i would have tuh fly three hours north.. or drive 24... tuh mek it there... so I doh tink I go mek it..

She looks like a flower
    but....
    Stings like a bee...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast